Jerome Ropati is the worst 6 going around

Discussion in 'Vodafone Warriors' started by mosh_old, May 27, 2006.

1. mosh_old
    Join:

mosh_old Guest

He may look ok when we win, but seriously Jerome Ropati just cannot pass. It is becoming a big problem and the ball stops at him. Shift him onto the wing if he wants to play like that. He is making our attack look staggered and there is no structure there outwide.

If it wasn't for Sione's creativity we would be really embarassed today.

The job of your 5-8 is to put centres and people inside and outside of you into gaps and to take pressure of your 7 with some creative kicks or plays. He never kicked nor did he even looked like he was reading anything on attack.

If we are developing for the future maybe with the injuries its best to use Ropati off the bench and play someone else at 5-8.

2. Skinny_Ravs82
    Join:

Skinny_Ravs82 Guest

Ropo is a deadset useless moron!

3. Paul Holmes_old
    Join:

Paul Holmes_old Guest

nice one miss positivity

4. Skinny_Ravs82
    Join:

Skinny_Ravs82 Guest

Thanks glass-eyed man :p

Btw, yeas I do like being positie but I refer to it as a whole team general. when it omes to sepciic people then I don't hold back

5. Paul Holmes_old
    Join:

Paul Holmes_old Guest

english next time thanks

6. teariki_old
    Join:

teariki_old Guest

Yeah, Ropati is not developing as a five-eighth. Tonight he appeared to be attacking only one side of the field where a proper 5/8 should be directing attacks on both sides. In the second half especially he went missing in action too much and when he did get the ball he was shuffling it along instead of straightening. He just does not seem to have any idea what to do on last-tackle situations; how many times have we seen from Ropati the short chipkick on the last tackle that goes straight to the opposition.

7. D Generation X_old
    Join:

D Generation X_old Guest

yea he is pretty bad

8. Skinny_Ravs82
    Join:

Skinny_Ravs82 Guest

Haha! I know. Shocking. Can't type properly when it's cold.
    I agree with teariki thou. It's quite true about Ropo. Even the commentators were saying it! And I must say, as annoying as Gary Freeman can be when he says anything he propbably was quite right this time around esp about Ropo

9. sebastian_old
    Join:

sebastian_old Guest

well i'd say webb for 5/8 but who can cover fullback, another rookie???

10. fiamacho_old
    Join:

fiamacho_old Guest

Agreed on Jerome he was hopeless, some of is "tactical" kicking was just downright Senior B's.

11. warriors4life_old
    Join:

warriors4life_old Guest

What about Hohaia and halfback and Rovelli at five/eighth? Hohaia has a great kicking game and Rovelli has a good cut-out pass and a good kicking game to compliment Hohaia's.

12. mosh_old
    Join:

mosh_old Guest

Hohaia has been playing well in Batercard Cup

13. JonB_old
    Join:

JonB_old Guest

What about Jerome to 13, he would fit like a square block in a square hole I think. Webby to stand off, Misi to 1 Aha van on the wing drop luck, parts of the game I saw he looked below average.

14. Northern_Union
    Join:

Northern_Union Guest

You have to ask a few questions about Ivan for putting him there in the first place and then leaving him there.

15. corey_old
    Join:

corey_old Guest

maybe Webb to 5/8 & Vuna to fullback

16. Northern_Union
    Join:

Northern_Union Guest

Who is the best 5/8 running around in bartercard?

17. Iafeta_old
    Join:

Iafeta_old Guest

I was at the game last night, and the same things sadly became apparent of Jerome's game

* Poor kicker: The chip kick that basically resulted in a switch in momentum and a try was a horror kick. Why? Look who the intended recipient was and what their job was, firstly, their job, regain the ball via a huge burst of speed, the intended recipient? Michael Luck. Shows to me not only technically an average kicker, but a very poor organiser with very little vision.

* Poor lateral defence: Every time I watch the Warriors in action at the ground, its apparent that Jerome's side is always scrambling. He's the one common denominator. I watched last night his footwork laterally in defence, its incredibly poor. Basically, it leaves too much pressure on the bloke immediately inside him, and his centre. And it showed a few times last night, the Sharks had a game plan of running at him. Not only does he appear extremely laboured in lateral defence, but he also seems to read the game poorly. I cringe when a second man play goes out his way, because inevitably he takes the man WITHOUT the ball.

* No ball skills: No taking it to the line and putting a man away with a short ball off the hip, no long cut out passes, all he relies on in attack is a run to the line, and jink off the right foot. Its predictable and he gets smashed accordingly for it.

* No organisation: I watched him a lot last night, from close range, Rovelli tried to organise players into position and scream out instructions. Ropo was just another drummer in the band really. Which is not good, when part of the five eighths role is to give direction and organisation.

With all that in mind, I said it before, I'll say it again, he's not an NRL five eighth and him being selected there is really letting the side down, and Grant Rovelli down. Rovelli I think has a real future, but he can't organise the team entirely himself this early into his career. Its too much pressure, and I think it showed last night with a series of poor kicks. If he had an option kicker, or someone else helping direct traffic, he'd be a much more effective player, especially if he was left to focus on going to the line, stepping, short passes, and the long kicking game which seems his strengths. He needs a lot of work on his short kicking game, but when the other option short is Jerome Ropati unfortunately he's a sitting duck.

Perhaps Sione wasn't such a bad option after all? At least he shows creativity. Although, I'd rather he looks before throwing passes, a ripper of an assist for Darren Albert. Perhaps its time, if Brent Webb is unlikely to be retained that he slots up to five eighth and Cooper Vuna goes to fullback.

The other thing apparent last night was Webb not going to the forward's hip for the offload, as he did so well the week before. I'd like to see Vuna go to fullback with that as his sole instruction in attack.

18. Northern_Union
    Join:

Northern_Union Guest

why persist on playing players out of position?
    Surely there is a 5/8 running around in the bartercard thats better than either ropo or sioni. How about someone from the jim beam cup or Queensland cup, surely in those three comps there is at least one 5/8 that is better than those to. There just has to be.

19. Kav_old
    Join:

Kav_old Guest

One more convert!
    Has Toops signed yet?

Kav

20. Kav_old
    Join:

Kav_old Guest

Another convert!
    Misi? Got good hands, pace, why not?

Kav