John Key Quits.

Discussion in 'Social Forum' started by Sup42, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Interesting times.

Barely enough time to digest the news/think about the Ramifications.

Paula Bennett VS Winston in the next election.....our own Trump Vs Hillary grotesque side show....?

Looking forward to seeing who the rich mans party throws up.

No one will be able to match Key from his Party....in the cult of personality.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

I understand why he has called it quits.

The last thing we need is a Winston/Greens/Labour fuck up coalition at the next election.

interesting you call it the rich mans party. As opposed to?

3. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

He doesn't want to be PM when the economy shits itself?

• List
  4. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Indeed Sir.

There is no true Left in NZ....not since Pre Rogernomics.

Labors conservative with social lip service to its traditional Voting group.

The Maori party is just that.

Greens are too radical for the middle.

NZ first is for oldies hoping to cling to old fashioned conservatism.

Rich mans party is a throw away line with more than a grain of reality.

5. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Housing bubble?
    Infrastructure?
    Trade agreements ?

• List
  6. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Winston likes pulling the strings of his old party....if he formed a coalition it would be with National ?

• List
  7. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

National won't deal with him. That was a very strong move Key played early in his leadership of National. Winston likes to play himself as King maker. If National continue to deny him that role then the country can see their options and leaves Winston pulling......his string

• List
  8. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

If it shits itself.

It has a better outlook with a National Government than with the alternative

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List

9. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

Rich mans party.......I think that could be said for many of the parties. Is it just that national are happy to be associated....

• List
  10. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DIE FOR TONGA Contributor

Meh.

Will go down as a Prime Minister who did SFA during his time except up GST, cut the top tax rate, back failures like TPPA, flag change and lets not forget his perversion for ponytails. He did nothing at all of substance and in the long run wont be remembered as one of the greats...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  11. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

Interesting outlook. He has provided stability and strong leadership through one of the worst global recessions of recent times and through significant natural disasters. Nothing of substance? Apart from increasing tourism dollars coming in to the country, increasing free trade deals and increasing exports particularly to the Asia. (interesting you say failures like the TPPA when even people like Helen Clarke are saying we would be mad not to jump at this chance) He may not have made headline grabbing sweeping reforms but he has done a pretty good job IMO. I am certainly happy the other crowd weren't in charge through these times - and I hope they aren't in the near future either.

• List
  12. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

Hope your looking forward to one off those MMP stalemates next year with Winston and the Maori Party tipping the scales, whether he achieved much or not, Key was massively popular with much of the voting population, Joyce, English, Collins (can you imagine) any of these people will see national crash back to close to level pegging with labour and the greens.

13. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

Well, it's been a a National government which meant that tax cuts were prioritised over spending - that is why we have the current problems, specifically in Auckland.

• List
  14. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

I am not looking forward to it at all. Can you imagine it. That would be my worst nightmare = Labour/NZ First/Greens coalition. Little and Winston with Turei/Shaw. It would be like watching the circus everyday with the Beehive as their Bigtop.

15. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

they seem to be historical problems also, which I doubt a different Government will be able to fix either.

16. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

Yep, I’m not a nat, but things run smoother if there is a major party with a clear mandate. And the left (such as it is) is too divided to achieve that.

Probably be some rash election bribes tossed next year. Aunty Helens interest free student loans were great.

17. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

Agreed, I think most people are fairly central in their views and the Nats have done a good job of broadening their appeal across the spectrum. Labour and the Greens are going to have to find ways to do the same. The resignation of Key is their window of opportunity. It will be interesting to see who National put in as leader and Prime Minister.

• List
  18. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

That opens up an interesting question - especially with infrastructure... is it the responsibility of central government or local government to fund infrastructure in Auckland?

Generally, public schools and hospitals (including public clinics for out patient care) and the motorway system is funded by central government but local roads, expansion to the local rail network (i.e. not the main trunk line), water, parks etc. are funded by the Council. Perhaps if Auckland Council didn't demand such large dividends from WaterCare, etc., then more funding for their infrastructure/capital expenses may be available.

Does the current "model" need to change with central government funding more of what local government currently does? And how would the rest of NZ feel if the government was to do that? I.e. provide money for the up grading of the "one pipe" systems throughout Auckland where houses use soakage pits to get rid of their rainwater or increasing the capacity in areas like Manurewa (the Mahia catchment area), and parts of Highland Park/Howick etc. where future development is currently stalled because of the limited capacity of the piping system.

To reduce the load on the stormwater system, the council should be encouraging more onsite disposal (either on an individual site level or shared throughout a subdivision) or re-use of rainwater through grey water systems. This is starting to happen but more needs to be done. The current stormwater catchment assessments and need for retention or detention tanks is based on the fact that the current council/WaterCare systems (especially on the North Shore) are already operating over their capacity because of lack of capital expenditure and poor design.

I personally feel (from someone who has voted for both National and Labour over the years) that, instead of tax cuts, any government with a surplus should increase social spending in the areas it's needed [not as an election bribe but for what's best for the country], fund more "central" infrastructure projects, clean waterways and payback government debt. Any tax cuts should be designed to help the most vulnerable and to encourage savings by reducing taxes on bank deposits, managed funds etc.

19. dean
    Join:
    Mar 13, 2016

dean 1st Grade Fringe

Big loss to NZ politics. Nobody from any party comes anywhere near him. Could be interesting next year if the Nats implode.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  20. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

I thought he did a decent job through a tough time and shudder to think where we would be as a country if the other party had the same struggles.
    Love him or hate him he was well received and respected overseas and there's not an obvious candidate (from either party) to take over and perform at the same level.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List