Media Journalism

Discussion in 'The Nerd Zone' started by InsideBall, Aug 16, 2016.

1. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Making a signing such as Foran is not about "solving" the woes of the Warriors, and framing it this way is merely lazy journalism.

That's not how it works. The signings of Isaac Luke and RTS were not to "solve" the problems of the Warriors, they were to improve them. A football club is an immense, moving, complex beast. No one action is ever going to "solve" a rugby league club. It's about making incremental, daily, organizational-wide improvements, in order to turn the massive ship that is such an organisation around, heading in the right direction as one.

If Foran helps improve this club, would that not be considered a good signing, by most metrics?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 13
    • List

2. Play The Ball
    Join:
    Jun 8, 2015

Play The Ball 1st Grade Fringe

Studied journalism have we? Worked in the industry? If not you probably don't know what 'lazy journalism' is. I never said Foran wouldn't improve them. What I said is there is only so much cap space and if it is spent on Foran rather than forwards the team won't improve as much. In most metrics the greater improvement would be the better option.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  3. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

I noticed you didn't address the actual qualm with the article, that is poor deflection on your behalf.

And suggesting one needed to study or work in journalism to know what lazy journalism looks like is infantile at best, and frankly embarrassing at it's worst. I don't need to study film to know that the ending of Jurassic World is utterly lazy film making, or to have worked in the building industry to know that the entire leaky homes fiasco was a result of lazy building practices... and I sure as heck don't need to have studied journalism to know what lazy journalism looks like.

You know... it just occurred to me: Suggesting that one needs to study or work in journalism to pass comment on or to critique it, is akin to saying one needs to have worked in professional sport in order to be afforded the same right.

Irony, meet rugby league journalist.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  4. dean
    Join:
    Mar 13, 2016

dean 1st Grade Fringe

Please take your anti paranoia medication before posting. You need to let go of your fixation with PTB.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Play The Ball
    Join:
    Jun 8, 2015

Ok then explain then, since you are such an expert, how was my opinion piece lazy journalism? It is an opinion piece and quite clearly portrayed that way so quoting people is out of the question. How is it lazy? I can't address the qualm because all you did was tell me it was lazy journalism. When you make an actual point i will address it.

6. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

Cmon now man, surely you're smarter than that...

Firstly, I address EXACTLY why I thought it was lazy journalism in my original post. If you need to, go back and read it again. Secondly, what does being an expect have to do with anything? I literally just said, in the very quote you posted, you did not need to be an expert to pass comment on things. Geez...

7. Play The Ball
    Join:
    Jun 8, 2015

And I replied to what i can only assume is what you claim to be 'lazy journalism' - signing Foran won't solve their problems. They have x amount of $$ to spend under the cap. Surely the club would like to fix the roster this off-season. Doyle himself said this year he expected to be a top six club after all. Signing Foran won't improve the forward pack and will take away any chance of improving the pack. Therefore signing Foran won't fix the Warriors problems. How on earth is that lazy journalism?

8. Play The Ball
    Join:
    Jun 8, 2015

And while we're at it you kinda do need to know a little about journalism to know if something is lazy journalism or not. Much like your film making example. You'd need to know a little to know what lazy film making was. You don't need to be an expert to think a film is shit and you don't need to be an expert to think my story was shit. Call it rubbish if you want but it certainly wasn't lazy. Lazy would be writing something without doing much research.

9. Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

Grab your beer, pop corn and deck chairs people, the fair is back!:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  10. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

11. Play The Ball
    Join:
    Jun 8, 2015

Right back at you. You are STILL to tell me how I was lazy.

12. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington David Shitwell Contributor

Please dont clog up threads with off topic shit. I suggest you sort it out here, via PM, just block one another or stop being baited...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. mode81
    Join:
    Jul 25, 2012

mode81 1st Grade Fringe

Oh true Play the ball is a herald writer lol.. Thinks Foran won't be the answer here. Wants this club to keep McFadden as coach and he supports the Raiders. Says a lot.

Won't be sharing anymore intelligence with that guy he's stealing our content he should have to pay us common folk:hilarious:

14. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington David Shitwell Contributor

Pretty strong allegation mate. Plagiarism is no joke. You have any proof? Provide some, delete your comment or mods will have to take action. Slander doesnt wash around here and the forum wont be taking a hit on your behalf if PTB makes a complaint to his lawyer...

15. mode81
    Join:
    Jul 25, 2012

mode81 1st Grade Fringe

Oh delete it man far out.. can't even take a joke around this place anymore

16. drunk_monk
    Join:
    May 15, 2014

drunk_monk 1st Grade Fringe

OH!!!! Finally I see the posts quoted in that other thread. I have been looking for this for ages, wasn't expecting it to be in the dork zone.