General Discussion Keeping it positive

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by BeastMode, Aug 11, 2017 at 10:53 AM.

1. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

That was an unbelievable 3 weeks. I remember all the games like it was yesterday. We lost the GF but the boys threw everything in it.

I must have watched those games over 100 times

Still get a massive high thinking about it. That put down by Inu to win the game.

Then the forward dominance by our pack against the storm. It was incredible to watch. The yardage both on attack and defence was unbelievable. As a fan you felt we had turned the corner as a club.

Those were the days.....Man what a honeymoon that was

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List

2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

One of the best things about going to games is meeting up with friends. Many of whom I have meet through a shared love of the club. A few from this forum as well. The Mt Smart faithful are a family of loyal nutters who are only too happy to talk and help each other with things we need away from the game. I feel blessed to know so many of them and no doubt will be seeing a few this Sunday.

While the team might not be doing well its comforting to know that you are not suffering alone.

Memories of years gone by are great and all but its who I shared those times with that really count. Even the bad memories too...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 14
    • List
  3. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

The Warriors fans are special, the atmosphere at MSS is special. We don't deserve this shite.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List
  4. Trugoy
    Join:
    Apr 3, 2016

Trugoy 1st Grade Fringe

2002/2003..Our backs were classy, our forwards were mongrels and our coach encouraged open exciting footy. It became our trademark.
    The Warriors were most Australians 2nd favourite team because we were so good to watch.
    Ah those were the days!

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  5. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Winning.

I feel immensely positive about winning.

Always have. Always will.

• List
  6. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

I lived in Melbourne right through our golden era against the Storm, went to every game they played over there. Have said it before on this forum however the Ropati to Vatuvei to Witt try and SJ to Brown try were two of the best moments of my life. That draw in the wet when I think Luck broke the record for most tackles in an NRL game. I was so proud of the boys.

• List
  7. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

Of all the question words; who, what, when, where, why and how,,,,

how is definitely the greatest. It's greater than all the others combined x 1000..

How are we going to turn our club around?

How are we going to win the premiership?

This is positive thinking!!!!

8. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Sack Doyle and Kearney now and send Blair back to Australia.

9. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

Year, maybe...

But they are just the latest humans to enter the Warriors realm of death. Changing the death realm into a sports realm is the question of how for me.

#WhenYouStartBeingYoda :bag: either stop drinking or stop posting.

Mods do your thing...

10. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

That would be such a positive initiative bruce!! The only thing I could add to that to make it even more positive would be to see the major shareholder sell his stake to someone who understands what it takes to be successful in the NRL. Geez that would be such a happy outcome, I would be overjoyed!

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  11. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

1997 season.

The season of turmoil when both the CEO and Head Coach were sacked and we fielded possibly the worst player ever in Marc Ellis (He definitely couldn't tackle)...no worries we can claim to have started him on his way to becoming a multi millionaire.

The club was going down the gurgler and then came the 2007 Super League Club Championship. On the way to England we lost in a terrible performance to the even worse Western Reds.

So to Knowsley Road at St Helens. Winners of the Challenge Cup, Runners up in the Premiership Final and third on the ESL table.

The Warriors smashed them 42 - 14. They were never in it. I remember Ray French saying to Mike Stephenson. "and these are the cellar dwellers of the Australian competition".

Then to Bradford, they were now forewarned and coached by that genius Matt Elliott. They were number one in England but down they went 20 - 14.

Then to Warrington and won 56 - 28.

but wait there was more...the English clubs had to come down under.

Bradford, the stars of the north and coached by Matt Elliott went down at Ericsson 64 - 14. (and they gave that guy a job)o_O
    St Helens 70 - 6:eek:
    Warrington went down to the boys at Christchurch 16 - 4

I remember Graham Lowe writing an article commenting on the disgraceful performances of the northern teams down under.

We eventually lost to Brisbane in the semi finals 22 - 16.

The fans were pretty grumpy that year believe me because of the performance, we finished 7th...out of 10.

Maybe there is hope after all.

P.S.The Warriors would still kick arse in the ESL.

12. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Hardyman's Yugo 1st Grade Fringe

You've probably got a fair point about how Warriors would do in ESL now, although in partial defense of the ESL clubs in the 1997 competition most of them would have only just turned full time pro if they weren't still part time. Before ESL came about in 1995 and Sky pumped more money in, only Wigan iirc were full time pro. That North v South competition Super league set up was embarrassingly one sided.

13. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

I based my comment on the fact that the Super League down under was not a very strong competition. Murdoch had signed some big name stars but the ARL had all the rest, including all the rising talent that Murdoch hadn't identified.
    So compared to now the NRL is much stronger and the ESL is probably weaker with the competition from union. Union had only started to go professional then.

It is only a matter of opinion though.

Warriors fans were very despondent that season and that was only going to get worse later. I don't know how it would compare with this year. The gate takings this weekend may be a guide.

As for the money most players in Sydney needed a job as well as their contract money. Only the big names were full time until Super League came along.

14. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

In a sense the whole seeing friends thing is a bit of a cop out. Coping mechanism to justify the time and money spent on a sinking ship. As jonno says its the wins that really matter but when you arent getting those you have to find other reasons. You have to find that silver lining. Stay positive.

TD said it best in the apathy thread so wont get into anymore detail here on this thread of absolute positiveness.

GO THE MIGHTY WARRIORS!!!

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  15. FAN
    Join:
    Mar 17, 2014

FAN 1st Grade Fringe

Bloody hell mate, did he make it.......hope that worked out ok for him. Nice air horn!! lol.

• List
  16. mrblonde
    Join:
    Apr 14, 2012

mrblonde 1st Grade Fringe

I'm always "Glass half full".

Okay, we've lost Foran for the game today against the Raiders which means in theory that our inexperienced halves combo will work their arses off but be shown up by the more experienced Raiders halves. Which will lead to a Raiders win.

The beautiful thing about theory in sport is that it doesn't always become the result.

I refer you to the Eels v Knights game on Friday. Theory says the Eels were going to be the winners. Result says the Knights were the winners....

• List
  17. Warrior482
    Join:
    Oct 12, 2012

Warrior482 1st Grade Fringe

Fair thread. Like any relationship that hits a rough patch it's easy to forget the good times.. The boys have given me countless great moments, which have been more than just great sporting moments but the best moments of my life!

My favourite game to this day was the prelim in '11 against the Storm, but the moment from that night I'll never forget was the guys doing the pre match haka in front of the crowd, and seeing them do it back with such mana & passion.. It was one of the most inspirational, stirring, emotional moments of my life!
    To then have the boys back it up the way we did, in enemy territory.. Doing a Melbourne to Melbourne. Awesome.

I'll never leave this club.

• List
  18. drunk_monk
    Join:
    May 15, 2014

drunk_monk 1st Grade Fringe

My favourite memory is still my first game.

Dad and I missions it down to Welly for the Canes yawnion game on the Friday.

The dogs hosted the Warriors at home at the cake tin on Saturday so dad suggested staying one extra night and going. I had never heard of League but didn't want to go home so agreed.

That was when I discovered League, and fell in love. I can't remember if it was the last 16 or 18 minutes but we scored 4 tries to mount a comeback to tie it up (Stacey missed the conversion to win).

For so many years we were the come back kings, the game wasn't over until the 80 minute mark.

That game left such a mark that it's still my favourite anecdote, and the reason I'll be a Warriors man until I or the club dies. I still have the Auckland Warriors flag I got at that game.

• List
  19. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

In the interests of keeping it positive.

I think SK is doing a great job of staying on method at the moment. He's building a game plan that involves low error/high completion footy. Something the club has struggled with for decades.

We are in a rebuilding phase. So let's all watch and see if the team is at least improving. Because if they get into the habit of steady improvement eventually we'll win this comp.

It's like climbing Mt Everest. One for in front of the other until you get there.

I love this positive only thread.

• List
  20. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan 1st Grade Fringe

What I have learnt in sport and life. Sport is supposed to be a positive, affirming thing in our lives. The trick is to admire the game above your team. That is, not to to get too high after wins or low after losses. Just enjoy the game win or lose, and don't blame, every club thinks the refs are against them.

One thing we can guarantee, and all have surely worked out now, is that when that final whistle goes the sun will still rise tomorrow morning. It truly is, just a game.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List