Kelvin Wright

1. ramraider78
    Join:
    Aug 24, 2012

ramraider78 1st Grade Fringe

Seriously how did Wright get up there that quick - he was assistant coach for Otara in the Shaman in 2011 by 2014 he's in the Kiwis lol You have to admit it's been fast tracked.

Pretty strange Blackmore can't even get a look in TBH He has a decent coaching CV.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List

2. slaughterhouse.sa
    Join:
    May 26, 2012

slaughterhouse.sa 1st Grade Fringe

Yeah agreed - obviously Wright has been agressive about it and obviously impressed a lot of people in different places.
    To be rated by a number of people - Ackland , NZRL & Warriors. Must be alright.

He was like a player coach from memory - one of those know it all spine players. Like Ennis etc lol

Definately Blackmore is a quality football coach - however dont know him but he might be deemed old school / too grass roots.

Also he probably shouldnt of left the Vulcans gig - he went to England and that got stuffed up.
    Hindisght is a good thing though I guess.

Who do you think will get called up to assit Jones and/or Wright?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  3. ramraider78
    Join:
    Aug 24, 2012

That's what blew me - seen him around local footy with the kids for years, nice guy, spoke with him a few times, haven't heard any real negatives said about him - but got told that from 2 different people, both higher then me on the food chain lol I know he's coached reps and been around the NYC 20's set up so has a few ideas and a few players who have worked with him said good things. You know Wright was fast tracked to that position, they could do the same with Taplin if what I heard was true.

It wouldn't surprise me if Wright gets the nod cause he's been fast tracked this far HAHA Still amazes a few people I know how quick he got there lol

4. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

Yeah Ive been amazed at how quickly he's gone from coaching Otara and Bay Roskill to coaching the NYC and Junior Kiwis. He's basically the NZRLs poster boy for young working coaches. Even went on tour with the Kiwis.

What did he ever achieve at Otara or the Vikings?

To me it looks like the Mt Albert old boys click is still pulling some major strings. Could be wrong...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  5. ramraider78
    Join:
    Aug 24, 2012

Nothing at Vikings or Otara - I still remember when he came to play us as an assistant at Otara, we were shocked then that the city boy had come out south to coach lol You could be right about Mt Albert old boys cause I remember him saying Ackkers told him to hang around when he left and look where's he got to now lol

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  6. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

Wasn't sure where else to put this, but found it pretty interesting:

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

7. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

I actually think Wright had more disruption last year with players more being called up to the NSWarriors than he did this year - and last year they went deep into the finals while this season they finished in 14th spot.

8. ramraider78
    Join:
    Aug 24, 2012

Most of the whispers I ever heard out of the club from the past 2 seasons was around the 20's and questions raised around his coaching style and rise to the top. The article was correct to an extent IMO

• List

9. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Started a thread on this guy as I know this isnt the last we have heard on him. He'll be back and might even coach the Kiwis one day. Will go around collecting every post about him now...

10. Stone
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Stone 1st Grade Fringe

If what you guys are saying is correct (and I have no reason to believe otherwise) then I'm pretty disappointed, but unfortunately not surprised

This kind of internal politics, back your own horse, personal agenda bullshit was absolutely rife back when I was still directly involved in the game

It's essentially the major factor that drove me from the game I love back in the late 90's cos I've always been an upfront straight-shooting type & some of the devious self-serving rubbish I not only saw but was also encouraged to participate in just made me eventually think to myself ... man if I really want to be involved in this kind of back handed self serving bullshit then I'll go get involved in actual politics ... I'm out

I saw the tentacles of this infestation in just about every facet of the game, the players, the parents / supporters, the coaches / managers, my own club, other clubs, rep teams, other provinces right up to the various different governing bodies of the game itself

I was involved in the sport cos I loved playing the actual game, I loved my team mates, I loved my club & I love coaching kids, not for some deluded grandiose sense of my own self-importance

Nowadays I get all those things I mentioned from being heavily involved in Mixed Martial Arts which doesn't really have any of these kinds of stupid politics attached to it, but it still definitely saddens to see that this kind of crap is still happening in my first sporting love ... rugby league

But like I said, I am unfortunately not surprised

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    • List
  11. Nesio McCarthy
    Join:
    Apr 11, 2016

Nesio McCarthy U20's Player

He's the first Under 20's coach that failed to reach the play offs in the NYC's history.

Enough said on his coaching ability.

• List
  12. Iafetas Kickstand Wang
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Iafetas Kickstand Wang 1st Grade Fringe

I don't think that is entirely fair. He had a team of deadset rookies, I wouldn't be surprised if the team he had was comfortably the youngest the Warriors have ever fielded. The Warriors made a concerted effort of getting their aces into NSW Cup as early as possible.

In the past also we've been quite strategic free in terms of how we've played blokes. Johnny Ackland loved playing for example Toka Likiliki on the wing at 120-130kg simply because at that level players couldn't handle him on the wing. Hows that turned out for Toka's first grade career? It helped dominate NYC comps but really did nothing for either the play or the clubs development process.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  13. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Yeah I dont blame him for missing the finals. Some of those kids were rushed in just after their 17th birthday. You also had players like Nathaniel Roache, Bunty Afoa, Ofahiki Ogden, Marata Niukore, Erin Clark and Ata Hingano who were NYC eligible playing ISP.

I was just surprised at how quickly he had risen up the ranks. Probably the quickest rise I have ever seen or heard about for someone who hasnt played NRL or even made a train on team. Most coaches at least prove themselves in the Fox Memorial before moving up...

14. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

For me it comes back to that old saying. "When good people do nothing, the bad people eat all the pudding."

But I totally get where you're coming from. The personal risk is huge and the reward is almost entirely esoteric. And without a critical mass of humans behind you, you're pretty much certain to get pummeled by the puddin eaters.

15. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

So Kelvin Wright lost his job cause he ate all the pudding? Im not following you???

16. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

I think Wight lost his job because he was acrimonious at the idea that the pudding wasn't his by right.

Pudding being a metaphor for the spoils of success of course.

17. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

just talk plain english mate.

its easier.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • List
  18. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

Life isn't supposed to be easy, it's supposed to be awesome.

And the sooner some people remember that it's a team sport, and put their own selfish interests on the back burner, the better.

That's all I'm trying to say.

19. pantera nhl
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2016

pantera nhl Warriors Bench Player

The club made its decesion
    end of story

• List
  20. Viking
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Viking 1st Grade Fringe

Found this from March:

Kelvin Wright keeps Junior Kiwis head coaching job
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Incumbent Kelvin Wright has been confirmed for another term as head coach of the Junior Kiwis.

Wright headed off a field of eight applicants and a high-class short list of four to keep the role that he filled in 2015, when he steered the national 20s side to a narrow 22-20 loss to the Junior Kangaroos at the Gold Coast.

He had previously been assistant coach under now-NZRL high performance manager Brent Gemmell and coaches the Junior Warriors in the NRL's National Youth Competition.

Wright has also benefited from filling an analyst role with the Kiwis, under head coach Stephen Kearney.

"Kelvin was well prepared and showed a high degree of planning in his interview," said Gemmell.

"His previous campaign experience and his fulltime involvement with this age group at the Warriors gave him an edge over his rivals for this job."

Wright's term is for 2016, with an option for another year. He will now assist in the process for appointing further Junior Kiwis coaching staff and team management.

The Junior Kiwis are scheduled to face the Junior Kangaroos in their annual fixture at Parramatta's Pirtek Stadium on May 7.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

According to the article, he's one of 8 applicants but it looks like the person making the final decision is the same guy who coached him when he captained Mt Albert and who he replaced when Gemmell took over the Vulcans. Jobs for the boys.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2016
    • List