Ken Maumalo

1. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

I thought it was fine , but I guess you count the penalty for it. But yeah agree.

2. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Damn forgot about that haha.
    Have to say I thought he caught that tho- might've been a bit hard done by there.

3. playdaball
    Join:
    Apr 23, 2012

playdaball Heritage Member

I think he dropped it in 43rd minute but didn’t lead to a try. He played well.

4. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

He had the sun in his eyes, it could happen to anyone :rolleyes:

5. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    CLUB NEWS

Unsung heroes lending their weight to team cause
    Jackson Thomas & Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Wed 11 Apr 2018, 03:49 PM

One is the NRL's leading try scorer, the other is averaging more than 150 metres per game and Blake Green has dubbed them the unsung heroes of the Vodafone Warriors' unbeaten start to the season.

The Vodafone Warriors have always been renowned for having big wingers who could have been mistaken for front rowers but, in 2018, their duo on the flanks stand head and shoulders above some of the NRL's big men.

With his third double of the season in last week's win over the Cowboys, David Fusitua is the NRL's leading try-scorer with seven and has incredible balance for someone who stands at 189cm and weighs in at about 100kg.

However, even he is forced to look up at his wing partner in metre-eater Ken Maumalo.

Maumalo is 191cm and tips the scales at 107kg, which makes him taller and heavier than starting Warriors' prop Bunty Afoa.

It's the pair's combination of speed and power that has allowed them to each average more than 100m over the first five rounds with Maumalo averaging a massive 162.6m.

And while the team's defence, ability to play second-phase football and the stellar form of their halves have been in the spotlight throughout their historic run, star recruit Blake Green says the work of the outside men coming out of trouble has been a key ingredient in their success.

"They have been outstanding for us. In that first half last week, in particular, they were just so physically dominant and it makes mine and Shaun's role a lot easier playing on the front foot as opposed to going backwards," he said.

"That's their job, and it allows the rest of the machine to keep working when Ken and David, in particular, start our sets like that. They're doing a fantastic job."

Doing your job on a rugby league field can look very different to each player, depending on factors such as playing conditions, opposition and the game plan

Maumalo says he has a pretty simple philosophy which doesn't change.

"Just charge, simple as that really," he said.

"In terms of what goes through my head when I get it at the back I'm trying to get the boys on the front foot and that's where I earn my bucks.

"It builds energy so that when the forwards get back ready to go myself, David (Fusitu'a), Solomone (Kata) and Peta (Hiku) have already got us on the front foot. Ruck speed wins matches and that's what I try and generate every time I carry the footy."

Playing in front of a sell-out crowd at Mt Smart Stadium last week put "even more energy" into some of the team's bruising charges, he said.

"It was awesome to see the place that full, I know it really gives the boys that extra boost to go out there and do our jobs, so hopefully the support can continue this week against a tough Broncos side."

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

6. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

He is looking more like a winger this year. Some of those runs have been fantastic early in our tackle count.

The sides increased fitness has helped him he's looking a lot more agile.

7. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan Warriors 1st Grader

He has a good step as well when he wants to, and off both feet. For me he is a real confidence player. Some players are like that, their self belief isn't as high as others. That means hopefully the step will come out soon. When oppositions look to gang tackle him they will clump together and be vulnerable to a step.

8. wrighty
    Join:
    Mar 17, 2018

wrighty 1st Grade Fringe

I think I would bring in Beale somewhere in that backline and shuffle Ken out. His defensive savvy is still sub par even though overall as a player he has improved from being awful to a good NRL winger who many teams wouldn't mind having.

9. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

He's been racking up these numbers since his debut, the merits of them were lost a little with his early career errors.

Every game he will have a run from dummy half when the oppositions back pedalling, you will see him pick up thirty or forty meters.

David Fusitua isnt too far behind, sometimes I get them mixed up briefly such is the size of them.

Twin towers, as Green points out, having two of them is a big advantage. Opposition kickers are dammed where ever they send the ball, RTS is a risk to kick to as well.

I like the way Kata gets in there and drags a few men with him, Hiku has his own style, he will use those massive hit ups to run at angles to cash in on the extra space.
    Another Key is that we aren't wasting the roll on with clunky pr disorganized finishes to the set.

People are running in numbers, realizing they have to drive home the advantage.

Thank goodness Keb is too big to be called mini Beast

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Swanley
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Swanley 1st Grade Fringe

I think Ken is benefiting from believing that Kata will now pass him the ball. He's reduced his error count and is looking sharp and keen.

11. Deranged
    Join:
    May 24, 2012

Deranged 1st Grade Fringe

I would disagree. Beale won't be getting a starting spot in the team while everyone is doing their job.

12. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Bluetiful, Just Bluetiful!

Big Ken has really developed some footwork. Had used some fast feet similar to RTS a couple of times to beat players.

13. Tim burgess
    Join:
    May 20, 2012

Tim burgess 1st Grade Fringe

Big Ken has really developed. He is now looking like a first grade winger.

It was noticeable that the Broncos never consistently kicked to the wings. Obviously they were wary of the metres Fus and Ken can gain, but the rollon in effect it can cause.

14. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

What amazes me is why its taken him so damn long to get the confidence to use it! He has always had great footwork. I remember the U20 Warriors trial in maybe 2014 where the guy just ran rings around the other trialists. He was that far ahead of the other players I had to wonder what he was even doing there. And lets not forget these are meant to be the best 17-19 year olds in the country that he was playing against and he was stepping around them like they were trees.

Wonder how long its going to take him to use his offload???

15. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

It's like Kata. He got schooled by Ferguson one year, who fended him off all game. Next year Kata was picking Furguson up and dumping him on his back like a sack of rotten spuds.

Some of these young guys seem to need a whole off season, and loads of coaching, to correct their basic skills.

The upside is Ken will only get better as he grows into the job.

16. Rick O'Shay
    Join:
    May 1, 2013

Rick O'Shay 1st Grade Fringe

Gotta give this guy some wraps. He is getting better and better. Great to see the cut out ball going there and he's hugging the sideline.

Also noticed that he has developed some nice late footwork at the line rather than trying to bust straight through. Only a matter of time before he gets a break and then RTS, try time

17. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan Warriors 1st Grader

Self belief. The biggest difference between Aussies and Kiwis. Ken is going well. His step is very effective coupled with his size as the instinct is to plant your feet when a big unit is coming at you.

Just a gloat I put 10g at 13 plus on Bookie.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  18. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

No more butter hands.

Runs straight and HARD

Its a miracle..........

19. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

He looked very determined last night.
    Even after he scored that try.
    He looked fatigued in the face. Older than he usually does.

20. Rick O'Shay
    Join:
    May 1, 2013

Rick O'Shay 1st Grade Fringe

Was worried about having to do the post game interview.

50th Game Well Done