General Discussion Kicking penalties

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by Miket12, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Swanley
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Swanley 1st Grade Fringe

Taking the two is ideal if in front or will get you in front.

People seem to forget if the it is successful, you get the ball back....

also a missed penalty, is a 20m drop out, again you get the ball back....

I'd like our team to try this from the kick off. absolutely smash the ball more than 10 meters making sure it bounces out. We then get the scrum feed. (unless the rule has changed!).

2. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Krisnan Inu used to be good at Kicking it out from the kick off.

Maybe our guys needed a rest ? Lot of defending in that game, as quickly as these guys now recover, two minute breathers is like ten minute rest to the fit man. A rest at that stage of the game is a luxury platform for closing it out when you know you are good enough to tackle your way to a win.

The game had turned into a game of Chess, The Cows had found their defensive Mojo and were trying to grind us down.

The new Warriors have been backing teams up with their defense. Taking any points feels like a moral victory when you are in a tight one, in a way it was a sign of begrudging respect to the Cowboys too.

Putting myself in the oppositions shoes, there is no scenario where the opposition being ten points ahead feels the same as them being eight ahead.

3. Tragic
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2016

Tragic 1st Grade Fringe

Its probably a close call, I wanted them to tap but wasn't that worried when they took the kick, I think they win whichever way they played it.thats all that matters.

4. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

yeah bro not a lot in it. I would have been happy with the tap also.

I do wonder with one of the Aussie commentators saying that Blake Green keeps saying Focus on the field, whether the team needs to pause a bit more than other sides at the moment.

Green seems to have come along and decided to be the calm it down guy in the whole set up, he keeps modeling a really calm presence.

In that regard I wonder whether the breathing circle would work as dramatically for other teams, across the board now experts are embracing that ritual as something real...no ones laughing at it anymore.

I think when you look at where it came from, the All Blacks, I wonder what else they do that helps them...

5. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Can we stop calling it a breathing circle. That name always makes me think of hippies and shit.

It's a fucken breathing huddle OK.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  6. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

that sounds sexual

7. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

That would be the heaving cuddle your thinking about there my friend.:shy:

That's a completely different ball game.

8. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

I actually wanted them to kick the penalty that occurred earlier. It was just before the 5 min mark and would have been a time waster, you still face the risk of the short kick off but you have more chance of getting it back than they do so its still good odds. Then they should have played the set and gone for the one on the very next opportunity.

9. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

what happened with that voice recording of the ref asking for the count. Has there been any feedback on that?

10. WellingtonOrca
    Join:
    Aug 14, 2012

WellingtonOrca 1st Grade Fringe

Clock was definitely still ticking down though wasn't it? The 5 minute rule only applies after the penalty is kicked so they can't dawdle back to the kick-off.

11. Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

Time and place - no single answer with this one.

Yep, can give you a break, points most times, and the ball back.

Can also give them a break, no points (on occasion) and the ball back in our end if we come up with an error.

On occasion - a missed penalty attempt will give you (and them) a break, no points and a ball back on our 30m line or better.

Horses for courses, time and place.

12. wrighty
    Join:
    Mar 17, 2018

wrighty 1st Grade Fringe

I don't understand the game report but it reads like this:

Javid Bowen Cowboys penalty 75:12

Penalty shot made Shaun Johnson 75:36

Error Gavin Cooper Cowboys 76:13

I noticed once the kick went over they started the clock running and it continued to so while the Cowboys foolishly jogged instead of sprinting back to half way for the kick.

I don't know why the clock progressed from 75:12 to 75:36. Someone who knows more than me to answer. It was Bowen who infringed for the penalty at hand correct?

There is a full minute between Bowen's penalty and the attempted onside kick going not going the full ten metres. So one minute did get used up by the penalty.

I guess if they had've tapped it instead they would have got the ball back from us near their goal line with about 76 minutes and change gone in the game.

With just under 4 minutes at their disposal they would have been 8 points down and would have tried to force golden point.

If we could have stopped their set of six that would give us the ball back with 2:45 to 2:40 on the clock and still time for them to get another set of six after us.

I dunno. Like I said in the other thread no wonder our decision making huddle took so long.

13. Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

Stop it.

Oh look - there’s a train!

14. wrighty
    Join:
    Mar 17, 2018

wrighty 1st Grade Fringe

Go easy on me. I am new to rugby league so can make more contributions right now by quoting web pages and googling information than sharing personal observations of league as I am still on a learning curve :)
    Cricket is my area of expertise hence my username - but enjoy league and love international test matches particularly. Watching Clayton Friend, Kurt Sorenson, Kevin Tamati in my childhood battle and beat the Aussies are memories and moments I cherish.

15. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

Keep on doing what you are doing .Take the Two points get the kick back .

16. Run_it_str8
    Join:
    Apr 1, 2016

Run_it_str8 1st Grade Fringe

As long as we win I couldn't care less if it was from 22 field goals.

17. Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

Brilliant, welcome - and I was....;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Akuma_81
    Join:
    Nov 6, 2012

Akuma_81 1st Grade Fringe

It really depends on the situation of the game, but as far as Saturday night goes I don't think it made that much difference. We could have kept the pressure on, but then ran the risk of dropping it first tackle or conceding an intercept and being under pressure for the final 5 mins. There's no real difference between an 8 and 10 point lead so they would have purely taken it just to settle things down.

Otherwise I'd only be taking it to increase a lead beyond a converted try, or if it's to take time of the clock towards the end of the game, or while you have a player in the sin bin.

19. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

Some other scenarios.

If we're all tied up with 3 mins to go then taking the 2 is a no brainer.

And if we're 5 or 6 ahead with 3 to go, then the 2 gives us 7 or 8 points so it's also a no brainier. Same applies to 4 ahead as well as it means they score once and it's golden point at worst.

But if we need 8 points with 3 mins to go do we take the 2?

We need to score twice to go to golden point, and we can have one of those scores on a plate, so I say then it's also right to take the 2. Scoring 2 tries with 3 mins to play is a tough order.

At what minute mark does that equation change? 5 mins out we go for the try first? At 10 mins? At 15 mins?

How much time on the clock do we need before we go for the two try win and turn down the easy two?

20. AusWarriorsFan
    Join:
    Sep 4, 2016

AusWarriorsFan 1st Grade Fringe

This is something Ive been discussing lately.

Assuming no points on the board. and its the right team.

In my opinion its stupid turning down 2 points in front because "you have them under pressure". you get the ball back after the kick and get to put them under pressure again. but it has its place, with a kicker like Johnson it has to be within 10m of the posts due to his low conversion rate. in a couple years if Lino is still around 83% buys you a LOT of points from almost anywhere.

So 1/3 times you might score a try with them under pressure, at best 1/2. Seldom does taking the tap = a try. Teams are just too good at holding on now. It does depend on the team. If it was Newcastle Id be tempted to go for a try, if it was the storm who we are now basing our game off, id take the 2, because they are masters are escaping the try by holding down the play the ball and pushing the ref to its limits, having an ultra fit team that can weather their try line, like we have been, condensed defense with a player (centre) skipping behind the wing when the ball is spun wide.

Look at how well its working for the Dragons. Took the 2 points very first option and have done season so far. Admittedly we have had harder opposition.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018 at 4:45 PM