1. ToiletDuck
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

ToiletDuck Dr Faggot

Kieran Foran hoping to secure one-year deal with the New Zealand Warriors
    20 hours ago
    by PAUL KENT
    Source: The Daily Telegrapy
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Foran only played a handful of matches for Parramatta this season.Source: News Corp Australia

RUGBY league’s lost child, Kieran Foran, is about to escape to the only place that might save him.

Foran is hoping to secure a one-year deal to join the New Zealand Warriors next season.

While the move will surprise many in the game, like the ending to any good story it is both surprising and completely logical on reflection.

A somewhat stunned Warriors chief executive Jim Doyle confirmed the club’s interest in Foran when contacted but he was adamant a deal was yet to be tabled.

“I have been talking to Kieran for quite some time, helping him work through the issues he’s had,” Doyle said.

“I’ll continue to talk to him through these issues.”

Doyle’s interest in Foran extends beyond his possible contribution for the Warriors.

The relationship goes back to when Doyle, one of the game’s intelligent thinkers, ran the New Zealand Rugby League and Foran was the young Kiwi star on the rise. The pair have remained close and are regularly in contact.

Doyle said it was only natural that during recent conversations the prospect of Foran joining the Warriors was raised.

“Of course we’d love to have him.”

If Foran lands at the Warriors it will leave the NRL’s sleeping giant perfectly placed to land their first NRL premiership.

Along with Shaun Johnson, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Issac Luke, the Warriors would have the New Zealand Test spine.

No deal is on the table at the moment but the Warriors have room in their salary cap to offer Foran a deal, albeit less money than what he commanded to join Parramatta.

Last month Thomas Leuluai was released in compassionate grounds from the final year of his contract in 2017 to return to England.

However money is not a concern for Foran as he deals with his current troubles.

He is prepared to take the deal and the opportunity to get away from the increased intrusion and speculation of life in Australia to get his career back on track.

He also wants just a one-year deal, prepared to back himself to return bigger than ever.

He plans to leave for a holiday in New Zealand soon, where talks will continue.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Foran would only sign a one-year deal with the Warriors.Source: News Corp Australia

Foran was invited to New Zealand by Sonny Bill Williams, who goes in to hospital on Wednesday for an operation on a partial tear to his achilles tendon suffered at the Rio Olympics.

After tomorrow it is rest and recuperation, something Foran is in need of, too.

Foran will wait until Williams is past the worst of his recovery before flying to New Zealand to stay with him and take a look around the country.

A move away from Australia is being increasingly considered most beneficial to his recovery.

Right now, Foran is a walking sideshow.

His every movement is catalogued.

The fog around his headspace is beginning to lift and he realises, out of the chaos, he has the opportunity to change certain habits and get his life back on track.

It would be mean not to wish him well and, in a show of his reputation in the game, all NRL fans wish him well.

The Warriors are a club on the improve who would benefit significantly by the experience he would bring.

It is not the first time the Warriors have had a dip at Foran.

Doyle put an offer to him when he left Manly but was trumped by Parramatta.

The pair have remained in contact since and have shared regular phone calls since Foran’s troubles began earlier this season.

Many in the game remain convinced Foran was headed to Canterbury when he returns to the NRL.

The Warriors have not been mentioned in regard to Foran but there is a growing belief from those close to the troubled playmaker Foran that they will be his best option to resurrect his career.

The NRL has already said it would want assurances from Foran that he has dealt with his off-field issues before it re-registers him.

Joining Doyle at the Warriors, who is highly regarded by the NRL, would smooth Foran’s return.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Clearly a lot of uncertainty in that article, but if we were ever a chance then it would be now. If it's a good move for him personally and it doesn't cost us an arm and a leg, and as long as he's fit....then it's worth exploring.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List

2. FAN
    Join:
    Mar 17, 2014

FAN 1st Grade Fringe

Yep, that's pretty much what I got from reading that as well. After a year, if he can prove his worth, he will go on the open market again. The only thing that I don't get is..............lifetime ban on any player found guilty on match fixing ( not at all saying he was involved ) but yeah. one would surly be asking the question right.....

3. Ever Hopeful
    Join:
    Feb 24, 2013

Ever Hopeful 1st Grade Fringe Contributor

Perhaps, but even if the headlines surrounding him magically go away then I doubt Doyle would look to sign him longer at this stage. I would anticipate shorter term contracts in general now from the Warriors under Doyle.

On the flip side, Foran knows his brand is damaged. Sign a 1 year deal, look a million bucks and renegotiate in 9 months time for something better.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Run_it_str8
    Join:
    Apr 1, 2016

Run_it_str8 1st Grade Fringe

If this was a year ago I would have been down right pumped to have the entire kiwi spine.

But realistically all four of them have been through some hard out voodoo mojo alright.

SJ - Season ending injury 2015. It's August and he is honestly not 100% yet.

RTS - Fucked for the season.

Bully - Injuries + family balance + fitness + new team in 2016.

Foran - Injuries and family turmoil.

1 + 6 + 7 + 9 + all of the above = no guarantee that our Warriors will fire in 2017.

Its effectively Roger's first year again. Bully is on the downward slope side of his career and may have peaked at Souths never to reach that level again. Foz is still a long way from ready (although his pre season can start now).
    SJ is my bet to lead the spine next year.

1% tragically optimistic we will see them fire in the hype filled Australian media kind of way.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  5. FAN
    Join:
    Mar 17, 2014

FAN 1st Grade Fringe

Yeah we will, his name is SBW.................Opps my bad thought you said FAME

6. Run_it_str8
    Join:
    Apr 1, 2016

Run_it_str8 1st Grade Fringe

Looloo eyes for Foran.

Tuimoala Lolohea to the......???

Is this JD keeping with the better replacement policy?

• List
  7. Blazinsp25
    Join:
    Aug 14, 2016

Blazinsp25 Waterboy

The Foran rumour is interesting....and I hope it's true.

However rumours also swirling about Broncos clearing their decks for a possible Folau return to redhill.
    Kahu is supposedly homesick..... What do you guys think?

• List
  8. Uncmase
    Join:
    Mar 12, 2016

Uncmase U20's Player

I agree bro, We need some mean angry props. I wouldn't cry if we lost RTS/Bully/Lillyman/Hoffman. I think Fusitua/Sipley/Roache/Afoa are more than capable replacements. Plus cheaper! Roache can concentrate on distribution & his running game of Foran came. Not that he is a play maker. But takes a lot of stress off SJ.
    I'd like a speedy/ defensively sound center/wing(Will Chambers is available?) And either Kasiano or Nelson Solomona.

• List

9. Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

Foran would be a great compliment to a brilliant roster :finger: ...

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  10. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

I think if he signs with us for one year it should be motivation
    If he comes here he knows he's got a good chance of
    Winning the comp , An his next contract will say whatever
    He wants,,,,,, The Best bit is the realisation for the team that
    They have one year all those guys will want to win at least once an
    This is their best shot ,,,,,I hope if it happens it's all hands on deck
    Wander if we could get SBW on the same one year deal,
    The we'd have the brilliantist roster ever :happy:

11. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

A bombshell?
    Troubled Kieran Foran hoping for one-year deal with NZ Warriors
    Embattled Kiwis halfback Kieran Foran is seeking to secure a one-year deal with the NZ Warriors in 2017.

Warriors chief executive Jim Doyle confirmed the club's interest in the former Manly and Parramatta play-maker to Sydney's The Daily Telegraph but was adamant a deal had not yet been offered.

"I have been talking to Kieran for quite some time, helping him work through the issues he had," Doyle told The Daily Telegraph
    . "I'll continue to talk to him through these issues."

Teaming Foran with Shaun Johnson, Issac Luke and Roger Tuivas-Sheck would give the Warriors the back-bone of the Kiwis test side.
    While no deal is on the table for now, the Warriors have room under the salary cap to offer Foran a contract, albeit less money than what he commanded to join Parramatta in the off-season.
    The Warriors released Thomas Leuluai on compassionate grounds from the final year of his contract to return to England, opening up cap space.

Foran's 2016 season - after switching to the Eels from the Sea Eagles - was a nightmare.

In April, the No 7 was rushed to hospital after attempting to take his life, overdosing on prescription pain medication. He blamed the pressure of leading Parramatta, the break-up with long-time partner and mother of his two young children, Rebecca Pope, and depression in his life.

After a stint at a Queensland rehabilitation clinic, Foran is alleged to have lost A$75,000 in a two-hour gambling binge after returning to Sydney. He has threatened to sue the TAB for the leak of his account details.

Foran returned to the field for the Eels but suffered a season-ending shoulder injury in a loss to the Newcastle Knights in Round 12, then was stripped of his Parramatta captaincy and fined A$5000 after failing to show for a rehab session and allegedly drinking alcohol while injured. He was released from his four-year Eels contract and quit the NRL indefinitely on July 29.

On July 31 in an interview with News Corp, Foran revealed his is bipolar and that rugby league was not a priority in his life right now.

On August 5, rumours circled around Foran again, with his name and his brother and gambling figure and friend Eddie Hayson linked to the latest NRL match under investigation by NSW police for match-fixing.
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• List
  12. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

hold on cowboy! McFadden is prone to playing our best in other positions, remember who started the season at 7 - Jeff Robson:wtf:

There's still the possibility of Foran riding the pine for the more favoured Johnathon Wright or perhaps McFadden will wilt to public pressure and start Foran.. on the wing!

13. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

14. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

I'll take him.

Though it does give me some concern. Not from the point of view of his mental health and well being, and whether he'd be able to contribute to us - I'm very sure that if he came here, he'd recover both mentally and physically very well (indeed, I've said multiple times on here that to my mind, getting out of Sydney would be the best possible thing for Kieran)... but, the fact that he'd only want a one year deal. Would it really be beneficial for us to sign Kieran, get him back to health, only to see him ship off back to OZ, again setting back our teams development? The flip side of that, is that he just wants a one year deal in order to prove himself in the NRL again, and then show us loyalty by signing on for longer, but the club would need to think very long, and very hard before signing him up to a one year deal.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    • List
  15. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

This news dropped all of a sudden; reminds me of the Luke signing where I nearly choked on my weetbix in the morning. That signing came out of nowhere one morning with rumours about him signing; done deal by lunch time.

I doubt this will move that fast. He still needs to sort himself out and get into a head space where he is thinking about football again. He might be close as obviously we don't know about his rehab etc. But I'd say at the moment it is more Doyle checking in on him from a welfare point of view and things might progress from there.

The author is Paul Kent so hopefully more details on NRL 360 tonight.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  16. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-| Contributor

He's got huge risk attached, like, those jokes about the warriors playing so bad they could be match fixing? not quite as funny when hes in your side. Or using your pills recreationally isnt a big deal...

And piss off with the inevitable "he hasn't been found guilty, did nothing wrong, its media beat up over muh players"

But we arent ever going to find a better 6 so what's the worst that could happen?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  17. Duh herro
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2015

Duh herro NSW Cup Player

Wait, if this happens to be true where does lolo fit in next year?

RTS at Fullback

Shaun and Kieran in the Haves

Kata and Fus in thecenters

Maumalo and possibly Vatuvei on wing.

Just something to Ponder.

• List
  18. James W
    Join:
    Jul 11, 2013

James W Warriors Bench Player

I think the one year deal is more for JD than Foz.

The way I see it the club either gets one year of Foz in redemption form, with a possibility for more, or his career is well and truly down the gurgler, in which case he's gone at the end of the year.

Sign him up, let's see what happens.

19. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

Hmmmmmmm.......are we bringing all of the energy drinks and prescription pills guys together for one mother fucker of a party?

I wouldn't sign him on a one year deal unless the club has an option for an extension (otherwise he could get himself back into form and then Bugger off back to Sydney.)

And is $BW coming with him?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • List
  20. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

He's been trialed as an 82m bench player this season