General Discussion King Vuniyayawa - NRL bolter?

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by ForTheLoveOfGod, Jan 18, 2018.

1. ForTheLoveOfGod
    Join:
    Sep 5, 2017

ForTheLoveOfGod Warriors Bench Player

Heard from a couple of sources within the camp this guy will play NRL in 2018 and is impressing so much he could be a potential bolter off the bench RD1.

Any information on this guy? big dynamic lad apparently similar to Ukuma Tai

2. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Great name, sounds like a character from a Roald Dahl book or a NZ Wrestler from the 1970s

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  3. Swanny
    Join:
    Jun 18, 2017

Swanny Warriors Bench Player

I thought it was a hard and fast rule this year that you couldn't come from outside the top 30 to play NRL? Or is he within the top 30 contracted players?

4. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

'Smackdown time' - King V

5. Dino Velvet
    Join:
    Feb 24, 2013

Dino Velvet 1st Grade Fringe

Can he play prop?

6. Waiting For Premiership
    Join:
    Jun 11, 2012

Waiting For Premiership 1st Grade Fringe

Can he play number 7 ?
    King MUST be better than Princess.

7. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

Players play on second tier contracts all the time. Have the rules changed with the new salary cap?

Agnatius Paasi, John Palavi, Charlie Gubb, Chris Satae, Mason Lino, Jonathan Wright, Blake Ayshford etc all made their club debuts on second tier contracts. Gubb played all 39 of his games for the club on one. Paasi made his debut on a third tier contract...

8. Swanny
    Join:
    Jun 18, 2017

Yeah there has been a lot of talk about how hard it will be for younger guys to debut as you have to be in the top 30. I'll try and fish out the articles but they were saying you now won't see a Nathan Cleary type situation where someone comes from a long way back to debut and star. With the increase from 25 to 30 I believe this was one of the conditions in order to stop the second tier salary cap breaches that were occurring.

9. Swanny
    Join:
    Jun 18, 2017

Some info below from a Fox Sports article. Looks like you can get long term injury exemptions.

TOP SQUAD CONTRACT FARCE

The NRL’s pathway program is flawed.

Under the NRL’s new rules, Nick Cotric, the hot favourite for Dally M rookie of the year, would never have made his first grade debut this season.

The likes of Anthony Milford or Nathan Cleary wouldn’t have popped on the scene either.

In 2018 NRL clubs have a squad of 30 players to pick from with six development players who are ineligible to play first grade.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Sharks NYC half Kyle Flanagan at training.
    The second tier as we know it is non-existent which means a crucial pathway to the top grade has been blocked.

As it stands, Cronulla young gun Kyle Flanagan will be unable to play first grade in 2018.

Flanagan isn’t in the club’s top 30 which means he would need an exception to play first grade.

Under the rules, the only way he can play NRL next year is if James Maloney or Chad Townsend suffers a serious injury.

It’s understood the RLPA aren’t happy with the new system which blocks the pathway of players.

10. TheCool
    Join:
    Jul 18, 2013

TheCool 1st Grade Fringe

You can play second tier players only a certain amount of times. I remember when Matt Moylan broke onto the scene and he was still on a second tier contract, the NRL prevented him from playing in their last few games because they had breached the second tier cap from playing their second tier players too many times.

11. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

and didn't Phil Gould go off about it too;)

12. TheCool
    Join:
    Jul 18, 2013

TheCool 1st Grade Fringe

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

13. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

And from what SwannySwanny is saying the new rules are set to try stop that even becoming an issue. Be interesting to learn more about it. Not sure how that will affect King debuting???

14. TheCool
    Join:
    Jul 18, 2013

TheCool 1st Grade Fringe

Shouldn't affect his debut, but could get interesting if he establishes himself as a bench regular early on, or any of the rooks for that matter.

15. razzrillinger
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2016

razzrillinger 1st Grade Fringe

Have we finalised our Top 30?

16. ForTheLoveOfGod
    Join:
    Sep 5, 2017

ForTheLoveOfGod Warriors Bench Player

Can anybody give me more information on King? Has he been a standout in the local comp at all? id imagine so to pick up a Warriors pathway contract.

17. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

He was ISP fringe last season so all I can say is he must be having one hell of a preseason!

18. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

I seen him named at center at the only team
    List I can find

19. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Must be killing it cause he was fringe at best. First 14 rounds last year of ISP he only played one game at #12.

Kearney gave Isaiah Papali'i a run after killing it in pre-season so its not impossible...