Internationals Kiwis in UK

Discussion in 'International/Representative League' started by Hardyman's Yugo, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Hardyman's Yugo 1st Grade Fringe

I've had a tidy out of the garage at home and found various old RL books, some of which have articles on Kiwi's playing in UK. This includes Ian Bell, Dean Bell and Clayton Friend at Carlisle, stuff on the 1980 Kiwi tour of England and also the 1988 Auckland mini tour of England where they played 6 club sides.

If someone can explain how to size the photos properly (some of them look cropped-I'm useless at this stuff!) I'll create an album and start posting some of the pages over the next few days

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List

2. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

If you're able to scan the photos, I'll PM my email address to you and you can let me know what you'd like done to them.... more than happy to help you out if I can.

3. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Will try and scan myself tomorrow night, tried uploading jpegs from a camera but the thumbnails are cropped.
    Thanks for the kind offer which I may take up

4. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Not a problem at all.

5. dean
    Join:
    Mar 13, 2016

dean 1st Grade Fringe

Interesting the link between those players at Carlisle, they all played for Manukau Rovers in Auckland. It was a very good side , I think it won a Fox Memeorial Championship in the early 80,s or late 70's. I think Cameron Bell coached both Manukau and Carlisle around this time.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  6. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Clayton Friends mother is a Bell, I think Cameron and Ian's sister. Ian has now passed on. Geez he was a genuine hard bastard on the field, great guy off it though. I cannot remember whether Dean was Ian's brother or a cousin or nephew. Somebody might know. They were a very talented family.

7. dean
    Join:
    Mar 13, 2016

dean 1st Grade Fringe

I may be wrong but thought Cameron was Dean and Ian's Dad. Was there three Bell's in that Manukau side ?

8. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

My memory is hazy, but there might have been three. I remember Cameron and Ian. There was the name Dubby Bell as well from that side. Whether that was a nickname for one of them or not I don't know. Cameron is Deans father but Ian was too old, I think he was Cameron's brother. Ian made the Kiwis. I think he was the only one of the family that did apart from Dean and Clayton Friend. I think Clayton's mum was Cathy Bell. A very nice lady. She was involved with the NZRL I recall.

9. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

I don't know too much about the Bell's from their time at Carlisle, it's about an hours drive up the coast from where my parents live and in any event there was pro RL at Workington and Whitehaven to watch. Workington had Gerard Stokes and Shane Varley for a season in the early 80's, in the mid 90's Brad Hepi and a Fijian from NZ club rugby called James Pickering who was brilliant. Hepi is a bit of a legend locally. Whitehaven had Dave Watson who went on to play for the Kiwis. Stokes came back to the area as a coach, his lad now plays test cricket for England. Clayton Friend did a second stint in Cumbria with Whitehaven.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  10. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DIE FOR TONGA Contributor

Aaron Lester left the Warriors and ended up at Whitehaven where became a club legend. Also Workington was the final port of call for Hitro Okesene who still lives in the area...

• List
  11. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Yep. I don't go much now though so a bit out of tune, lost contact with a few school mates and my Dad is in his mid 80's. Both clubs are now two divisions down from SL which is poor. West Cumbria needs a pooling of the resources and get a regional side in SL, but there are too many ingrained local rivalries for it to work ATM.

• List
  12. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Dean didn't hang around there for long. He spent two seasons at Carlisle 82 & 83 then went to Leeds, then the Easts (Roosters) in Sydney. He made his big name and money at Wigan after that before John Monie brought him back for the Warriors inaugural season.

Carlisle were very lucky to sign him as an unknown. He was a genuine star in Auckland.

Similarly Tawera Nikau went from a star at the Otahuhu club in Auckland to York :rolleyes: and then to Sheffield before Castleford picked him up.

It just goes to show how star talent can be overlooked.

The Auckland Fox Memorial competition before then had all the Kiwis playing. It was a very strong competition. It was around the mid 1980s that the NZRL relented and started selecting players from the English competition. Then once the Winfield Cup woke to what talent was here more and more started leaving which really affected the Auckland competition.

13. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

James Pickering and Shane Varley both played for the Richmond league club in Auckland. I think that club still has the NZ record for Kiwi representatives. James later played for the Bulldogs in Sydney.

14. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Bell actually played for Cumbria against the 1982 Aussies a game I was at. Pretty much a test strength Aussie side at that, Meninga, Lewis, Sterling, Pearce etc.

• List
  15. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DIE FOR TONGA Contributor

Think it was more the Tony Kemp lawsuit than anything else...

16. Trugoy
    Join:
    Apr 3, 2016

Trugoy 1st Grade Fringe

Pickering was with the Doggies in the mid 90's and was considered at the time to be the next big thing, in particular in the 97 Super League pre-season, there was huge hype around him.
    Problem was he kept getting injured and ended up playing only a handful of first grade games.
    I don't recall him having a union background though, think he came up with Richmond.
    I remember Brad Hepi hooking for Illawarra mid 90's, he stood out cause he was a Maori playing first grade and I'd never heard of him lol.
    Dave Watson had a few stints in the Oz in the 90's. I remember him coming over mid season to the Sharks and made a bit of a name for himself at fullback, before playing for the Crushers and the Gold Coast Chargers. One of the most exciting talents on his day.

• List
  17. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

How come the Henderson Gill avatar?

• List
  18. Trugoy
    Join:
    Apr 3, 2016

Trugoy 1st Grade Fringe

Haha. That pic is from the 3rd test in Sydney in 88 when the Brits finally beat Australia.
    Henderson Gill scored a runaway in the corner and got up 'and did a little boogie' as Darryl Eastlake put it. For a league loving kiwi kid that shit was cool as!
    Always loved the guys showmanship.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    • List
  19. francis faafua
    Join:
    Jul 30, 2016

francis faafua Warriors Bench Player

i think Dean was a nephew to Ian..i watched Manakau play one day & i think there were about 4 or 5 Bells playing that day....dont know how they were all related

• List
  20. Dave Brough
    Join:
    Jan 24, 2014

Dave Brough Warriors Bench Player

Still remember John laser and Vern Bakalich playing for Richmond.