Gameday Knights vs Warriors Gameday Chatter [Round 14, 2016]

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by NZWarriors.com, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Warriors massacre!

2. Warriors 13+

3. Warriors 12-

4. Warriors JANFIN Special by 6

5. Draw

6. Knights 12-

7. Knights 13+

8. Knights Invasion!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NZWarriors.com
    Join:
    Dec 19, 2012

NZWarriors.com

NRL 2016 - Rnd 14 - Knights vs Warriors Gameday Chatter
    Knights v Warriors: Schick Preview
    Wed 08 Jun, 2016, 1:00pm
    By Corey Rosser‌, New Zealand Correspondent , NRL.com
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Schick Hydro Preview: Newcastle Knights v Warriors
    Hunter Stadium
    Saturday, 3.00pm (AEST)

Getting back on the horse following a heavy defeat is becoming an all too familiar feeling for Newcastle, but this Saturday at home they get the chance to turn things around against one of the NRL Telstra Premiership's most unpredictable outfits.

The last time the Knights and Warriors met back in Round 4 it was a close match until just after the half-time break, at which point the Kiwi side ran away to record a big 40-18 victory at Mt Smart Stadium.

Since then the Warriors have picked up four wins while the Knights have just the one.

After suffering a 46-16 defeat to the Cowboys last week, Newcastle coach Nathan Brown has made only the two changes with Jacob Saifiti and Korbin Sims included on a six-man bench.

For just the second time this year Warriors coach Andrew McFadden has named an unchanged line-up from the previous week, when his side produced their best showing of the year to down the Broncos 36-18 in Auckland.

Hooker Issac Luke will celebrate his 200th NRL Telstra Premiership game on Saturday at Hunter Stadium, joining Ryan Hoffman, Simon Mannering, Jacob Lillyman and Manu Vatuvei as current Warriors in the 200-game club.

Watch out Knights: The Warriors looked like they finally found their mojo last week, with a free-flowing style which reaped rewards in the form of 10 line breaks, an 83 per cent completion rate and seven tries. When they play like that there aren't many teams who will beat them, and last week's effort should have plenty of teams on high alert.

In Round 13 Newcastle missed 44 tackles and gave up 11 line breaks, in what was a poor defensive showing. Across the season the Knights have missed more tackles than any other side, averaging 35.5 per game. Against a team like the Warriors your first contact and attention to securing the ball needs to be spot on.

Watch out Warriors: The victory over the Broncos marked one of their best defensive performances of the year. Only once have they held a team to fewer than the 18 points they leaked against Brisbane, while their 16 missed tackles was the least they have given up this season. Yet there was still plenty to suggest the Warriors have issues without the ball, and they were lucky not to concede more after Brisbane were denied two tries for forward passes just before half-time.

While last week's win was good, there is absolutely nothing from their 2016 form to suggest that will follow through to Saturday. Only once all year have the Kiwi side strung together consecutive wins, and that was against the competition's two lowest-ranked sides in the Knights and Roosters. Consistency continues to elude this club.

Key match-up: Dane Gagai v Tuimoala Lolohea. Lolohea will run out onto Hunter Stadium off the back of one of his best games as a fullback, having racked up 183 metres with two line breaks and a try assist against the Broncos. Backing up after starring for Queensland in Origin I, Gagai had strong numbers for Newcastle as well, with his 19 carries and 132 run metres both being team highs against the Cowboys. Both players are capable of breaking the line and coming up with explosive plays, and they should provide plenty of entertainment come Saturday.

The history: 33; Knights 15, Warriors 17, drawn 1. There hasn't been much recent success for the Knights against the Kiwi outfit, with only six wins from their last 21 head-to-head clashes dating back to 2005. But the venue hasn't been the happiest hunting ground for the Warriors, and they haven't won in Newcastle since 2011.

What are the odds: At the time of writing 75 per cent of all money has gone on the visitors and they've been included in a lot of Sportsbet multis. Warriors 13+ is the way punters are going as far as winning margin is concerned.

Match Officials: Referee: Dave Munro. Assistant Referee: Alan Shortall. Touch Judges: Russell Turner and Clayton Sharpe. Review Officials: Ben Galea, Jason Robinson. Senior RO: Bernard Sutton.

Televised: Fox Sports – Live coverage from 2.30pm (AEST)

How we see it: It is likely to be a close match through the opening 40 minutes or so, with the Knights feeding off their powerful home support. But if the Warriors can play anywhere near how they performed last up, their relentless attack and class through the middle should wear Newcastle down. Warriors by 18.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2016

2. STEEDEN
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

STEEDEN .

sweet as, I thought the game was on tomorrow. go the warriors.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  3. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

facefacts 1st Grade Fringe

I dont know why that Nathan Ross bloke took so long to crack first grade, he has great skills, but it's the speed and power in his game that is incredible...almost unnaturally so, if ya get what I mean.

Either way he's a dangerous player.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  4. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

Jay M Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

He might be ruled out. He has a calf complaint allegedly (per nrl.com late mail).

5. Bluecat again
    Join:
    Sep 30, 2012

Bluecat again Hopelessly hopeful Contributor

We need a "I don't have any idea" option. I am so hoping for a big win but......
    It needs to be 13+ if we are going to show that we have turned the corner and are not just making up the numbers for the rest of the season. Fingers crossed. It seems to have been a long time since the Broncos
    Go the Warriors

6. KingBubz
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

KingBubz 1st Grade Fringe

Spot on mate. Sounds like Ross is out and Brendan Elliot (new recruit from the Roosters) to take his place

7. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Deja vu?

8. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

We should really be using the leagueunlimited site preview, much higher quality than NRL.com. It correctly discusses the "mammoth Warriors pack" and tips the Knights to win by 8.

9. The Cheap Seats
    Join:
    May 18, 2015

The Cheap Seats 1st Grade Fringe

I'm super excited to see if the boys can back up last weeks performance with another strong showing, this time away from home.

I'd be happy with a narrow victory played with heart, but something tells me that if we turn on the same performance as last week that we might have our biggest win of the season.

Win this week and next against the Roosters, we are back in the 8.
    Getting a bit ahead of myself but it seems quite achievable.

Crazy how quickly things can be turned around.

LETS GONE WARRIORS!

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  10. janfin
    Join:
    May 13, 2012

janfin 1st Grade Fringe

Here we go here we go again janfin picking them to win by 6 But who the hell cares as long as we win RIGHT ;););)

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  11. Far North Forever
    Join:
    Mar 5, 2013

Far North Forever 1st Grade Fringe

We should win by +18 shouldn't we. So why the fook am I so nervous, oh the life of a Warriors supporter, full of hope and confidence bravado but always in the back of the mind is the we're going to somehow crumble......

• List
  12. koolkat
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

koolkat Get rid of the rot Contributor

I'm not getting ahead of myself here so warriors by 14.knights to give us a scare

13. Tezza91
    Join:
    Aug 4, 2013

Tezza91 Warriors Bench Player

Knights $3.50 heads up, 30 on that. Win win

14. 6 Again
    Join:
    Sep 29, 2015

6 Again 1st Grade Fringe

Watching the U20's Harris-Tevita has a mean left foot step, Fittler-esq.

15. OMG
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

OMG Warriors 1st Grader

Man these young dudes do some dumb shit, all instinct, the top 2 inches is playing top grade already:confused:

• List
  16. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

Johnnyray 1st Grade Fringe

Whoooooo !!! Let's go NZ Warriors !!! Let's go !!! Do it for Sheamus ...

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. ;)

17. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Anyone else think of the irony on having someone from a "sport" where all the results are predetermined supporting the Warriors given the current investigations into match fixing happening at the moment. Not for one moment suggesting the Warrriors are involved - but the timing brought a smile to my face.

18. Rick O'Shay
    Join:
    May 1, 2013

Rick O'Shay 1st Grade Fringe

Warriors by plenty
    MOM Bully
    FTS Fusitua

The dog thinks the Cowboys are playing ...................Retard

19. OMG
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

OMG Warriors 1st Grader

Whachu talking about Willis, Tearing up multi after multi has got me thinking every NRL game is pre-determined too.:arghh:

20. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Watching the reserves. That Shaun Lane is a jersey grabber, should fit in well at this club, might even get an extension.:(

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.