Leeson Ah Mau

1. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

Leeson Ah Mau

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Round 1 2009 Team List

Steve Price will have four first-time Vodafone Warriors with him – including an NRL debutant – when he makes his 300th first-grade appearance in Saturday night’s NRL season-opening clash against Parramatta at Mount Smart Stadium.

Just two days after his 35th birthday (March 12), Price will play his 88th game for the club to add to the 222 he had with the Bulldogs from 1994-2004, so becoming only the 11th player to appear in 300 games since the competition began in 1908.

Named to make his debut from the interchange bench is 19-year-old prop Leeson Ah Mau, a regular with the Vodafone Junior Warriors in their successful NYC campaign last year and still eligible for that side again this season.

Making their first NRL appearance for the Vodafone Warriors will be three of the major new signings – ex-Brisbane winger Denan Kemp, his Broncos team-mate Joel Moon at standoff and former Queensland State of Origin back rower Jacob Lillyman (North Queensland), who has been named on the bench.

The starting line-up named shows only one change from the run-on combination used in the Vodafone Warriors’ final NRL trial against Gold Coast on February 28. Starting in the front row that night was Russell Packer but coach Ivan Cleary today listed World Cup-winning Kiwi Sam Rapira to partner Price in his historic appearance with Packer coming off the bench.

Cleary said the team to take on Parramatta was selected with just that game in mind.

“This is very much a team for the first round, it’s not an indication of our plans for the whole season,” he said.

“We’re approaching this year with a squad mentality. We have 34 players competing for spots and these are the 17 we’ve picked for this week.

“It’s exciting that one of them is Leeson. He’s another graduate from our NYC side and it’s great for him that he now has a chance at NRL level.”

Cleary said the trial performances had been encouraging and had produced a desired outcome of three wins.

“We were pleased with how the trials worked out but that doesn’t count for very much in all honesty,” he said.

“Now we face the Eels and they’ve also won their three trials. They also have a new coach in Daniel Anderson, who’s coming home in a way I guess after his time coaching here. He has obviously made a lot of changes since he took over.

“It’ll be a huge challenge for us and we know we’ll have to right on our game from the outset to be in contention.”

Ah Mau follows fellow Vodafone Junior Warriors Ben Matulino and Packer plus lost team-mate Sonny Fai into first-grade. They all broke into the NRL from the NYC side last year.

Set to become Vodafone Warrior No 147 (Kemp will be 144, Moon 145 and Lillyman 146), Ah Mau follows
    his older brother Isaak, who’s with Brisbane, into the NRL. A De La Salle College product and brought up through the Vodafone Warriors’ development system, Ah Mau started playing league with Papatoetoe – the same club Fai started with – before joining Otahuhu. He played 18 times for the Auckland Lions in the New South Wales Premier League in 2007 and 22 times for the Vodafone Junior Warriors last year.

Ah Mau will now become just the third player to appear for the club at NRL and NYC level as well as the Vulcans in the Mighty NSW Mighty Blues Premier League (Fai and Packer are the others).

He was used in all three NRL trials against Melbourne, North Queensland and Gold Coast last month.
    Not considered for the opening round were Stacey Jones (calf), Evarn Tuimavave (neck), Mataupu Poching (ankle) and Liam Foran (elbow). The remaining NRL squad players are available to appear for the Auckland Vulcans in their first-round New South Wales Cup clash against Balmain Ryde at Western Springs on Saturday (kick-off 2.00pm).

In a quirk of the draw, this will be the fourth straight season the Vodafone Warriors have taken on the Eels early in the season, all four games played in New Zealand. They lost 14-22 in round two in Hamilton in 2006, won 34-18 in the opening round in Auckland in 2007 and 30-16 in round two at Mt Smart Stadium last year.
    A
    fter memorial services in Otahuhu yesterday and at Bethells Beach today, Sonny Fai will be remembered before kick-off in the NRL match on Saturday night. Both teams will come onto the field early for a minute’s silence.

The Vodafone Warriors will wear black arm bands in every game this season – as they have done in their trials – and their new Canterbury-designed Jerseys will feature a special acknowledgement of their missing team-mate. Embroidered on the Jerseys is Sonny’s signature and his official club number 138, sitting above the Vodafone Warriors’ logo.

Vodafone Warriors v PARRAMATTA EELS
    Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland
    7.30pm, Saturday, March 14

Vodafone Warriors

1 Wade Mckinnon
    2 Denan Kemp
    3 Brent Tate
    4 Jerome Ropati
    5 Manu Vatuvei
    6 Joel Moon
    7 Nathan Fien
    8 Sam Rapira
    9 Ian Henderson
    10 Steve Price (c)
    11 Simon Mannering
    12 Ben Matulino
    13 Micheal Luck

14 Lance Hohaia
    15 Russell Packer
    16 Jacob Lillyman
    17 Leeson Ah Mau
    18TH MAN: Epalahame Lauaki

COACH: Ivan Cleary

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    http://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/heres-the-team.25761/

2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

North Queensland Cowboys rope in Isaak and Leeson Ah Mau

THE North Queensland Cowboys are on the verge of coming to terms with talented front row siblings, Isaak and Leeson Ah Mau for 2010.

Isaak, 26, is contracted to the Broncos but plays for Queensland Cup affiliate, Easts while Leeson pays under-20s for the New Zealand Warriors. Isaak, a Samoan international, played 10 NRL games for the Broncos in 2008.

Cowboys prop, Shane Tronc will play in England next year and the club has yet to finalise a deal with Queensland forward, Matt Scott.

3. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Dragons sign Cowboy Leeson Ah Mau
    12:49 AEST Mon Aug 8 2011

St George Illawarra have signed young North Queensland forward Leeson Ah Mau on a two-year deal from 2012.

Ah Mau was the Cowboys' rookie of the year in 2010 after making his NRL debut for the Warriors the previous season.

The Auckland born 21-year-old prop or second-rower has played 14 games this year for the fourth-placed Cowboys in a total of 34 NRL appearances.

He joins Wests Tigers back Tim Moltzen, Warriors prop Jeremy Latimore and Melbourne centre Chase Stanley as Dragons recruits for 2012.

St George Illawarra fullback Darius Boyd (Newcastle), prop Jon Green (Cronulla), back Ratu Peni Tagive (Sydney Roosters) and backrower Jack Bosden (Sydney Roosters) will all leave the club after this season.

4. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Leeson Ah Mau proudly displays heritage
    MARCH 14 2014 - 10:00PM
    Leeson Ah Mau is finally finding his feet, and voice, heading into his third season with the Dragons. Picture: GREG TOTMAN

To understand Leeson Ah Mau you just have to look at the ink sprawling down his left arm. Or the tattoo enveloping his right wrist.

Just another NRL player branding tough stickers which, upon deeper inspection, seem to mean nothing at all?

"My tattoos represent where my parents come from," the softly-spoken Ah Mau confesses, rubbishing the aforementioned theory.

"The Chinese writing represents my dad's heritage and it shows I'm proud of where my parents come from."

And it helps you understand why the youngest of four children left home in New Zealand after spending years in the Warriors system. Just for the chance to one day share an NRL field with his older brother, Isaak.

They managed to do it. Only four times. No more. Yet to Leeson it was worth every single Skype call back home and manufactured meal in Townsville as he and Isaak combined at the Cowboys.

"I'm the youngest in the family so, for me personally, it was really hard leaving mum and dad at that age [20, to go to the Cowboys]," he said. "Just leaving mum was tough for me. We were skyping every day pretty much and I would call my mum every morning before training."

Now he calls his brother, still living and playing in Brisbane, every day after training.

Ask Ah Mau, finally finding his feet - and voice - at the Dragons after heading into his third year in the Red V, what he misses most about home and he laughs. He hopes the Dragons' strength and conditioning staff aren't around when he answers.

"I really miss my mum's cooking," he enthuses.

Favourite meal?

"It's an island dish," he says, before slightly pausing. "But she's got a lot of specials I try to stay away from which is really hard."

And it's hard to stay away from home, too. It will be one of his first stops when the Dragons head to Auckland to take on the Warriors at Eden Park on Saturday.

Awaiting will be father Isaak, a factory worker, and mother Vaaiga, who works as a receptionist to help fund the ingredients for all those home-cooked beauties. She's of Samoan heritage and helped Ah Mau qualify to represent Toa Samoa at last year's World Cup.

Sisters Vaaiga and Lily will also be there at home. And then there are all those cousins who will be at the ground hoping the gentle giant bearing the Red V can do the family proud. It will be just the second time Ah Mau has returned to Auckland for an NRL game.

"For me personally it will be pretty big," Ah Mau says.

"Playing in front of my parents and family again . . . I'm looking forward to it.

"I played with all of [the Warriors boys in juniors] and I get a text every now and again from the boys. It will be good to see them, too.

"We all grew up in the same area and get along pretty well."

Good enough to exchange a bit of banter during the week?

"Probably not," Ah Mau says. "We'll try to stay away and focus on our training."

Maybe afterwards they can compare notes on tattoos . . . over a home cooked meal or three.

5. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Ah Mau re-signs with the Dragons
    September 24, 2013 - 1:59 pm

The Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. have today announced that Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. has agreed to a two-year contract extension that will see him remain at the Club until at least the end of 2015.

The Otahuhu Leopards junior has played 26 first-grade games for the Red V since his arrival from the Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. in 2012 and has played 61 NRL games in total to date.

Ah Mau, 23, additionally made his international debut for Toa Samoa earlier this season against Mate Ma’a Tonga in April and is excited to be continuing his playing career with the Club.

“I am happy to be continuing my playing career with such a proud club like the Dragons,” said Ah Mau.

“The Club offers a real positive environment which I am happy to be a part of and I look forward to repaying the faith they have shown in me.

“My focus now is preparing mentally and physically for a strong pre-season and doing my part for the entire squad.”

6. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

St George Illawarra Dragons re-sign prop Leeson Ah Mau for three more NRL seasons
    Posted 22 May 2015, 6:22pm
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. to view.
    PHOTO: Leeson Ah Mau has been a wrecking ball up front for the Dragons this season. (Getty Images: Matt Blyth)

The engine room powering St George Illawarra's outstanding NRL season has been secured, with the Dragons re-signing prop Leeson Ah Mau for three years.

Ah Mau, 25, will remain at the Dragons until at least the end of the 2018 season with his deal announced a day after English prop Mike Cooper signed a two-year extension.

"It has been great learning under head coach Paul McGregor and all the other coaching staff and I am very thankful for the opportunity to remain here," Ah Mau said.

The Dragons have defied the critics to sit second on the ladder and equal on points with leaders Melbourne after 10 rounds.

A big reason for their success has been the performances of unheralded props Cooper and New Zealand-born Samoa international Ah Mau.

The duo have provided a solid platform for halves Benji Marshall and Gareth Widdop to weave their magic, allowing the backline to flourish.

"We have a great squad and a really positive environment here at the Dragons and I am very happy to be able to stay," he said.

Ah Mau has played 59 games for the Dragons after joining them in 2012 from North Queensland.

7. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Ah Mau named for Toa Samoa's RLWC tilt
    dragons.com.au
    Fri 6 Oct 2017, 12:09 PM

St George Illawarra prop Leeson Ah Mau was on Friday morning announced by Samoan RL president Tagaloa Faafouina Su'a as part of Toa Samoa's 2017 Rugby League World Cup squad.

Skipper Frank Pritchard and Josh Papalii (who will play for Samoa for the first time) were named in a Samoan side chockful of extensive NRL and Super League experience.

Ah Mau, Ben Roberts, Peter and Sione Mata’utia, Sam Tagataese and Tautau Moga are an example of the further experience within the squad.

Toa Samoa will take on New Zealand (Auckland, 28 October), Tonga (Hamilton, 4 November) and Scotland (Cairns, 11 November).

Coach Matt Parish said he has assembled a strong, experienced squad who have a desire to represent Samoa.

"Despite some players being unavailable due to injury we have a very strong squad that will do Samoa proud," Parish said.

Toa Samoa's 2017 Rugby League World Cup squad:

· Frank Pritchard (c)
    · Bunty Afoa
    · Leeson Ah Mau
    · Fa'amanu Brown
    · Herman Ese’ese
    · Pita Godinet
    · Joseph Leilua
    · Ricky Leutele
    · Sam Lisone
    · Jarome Luai
    · Suaia Matagi
    · Peter Mata’utia
    · Sione Mata’utia
    · Ken Maumalo
    · Tautau Moga
    · Zane Musgrave
    · Josh Papalii
    · Joseph Paulo
    · Junior Paulo
    · Ben Roberts
    · Sam Tagataese
    · Jazz Tevaga
    · Young Tonumaipea
    · Matthew Wright

8. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Knights well in NRL hunt for Glasby: Brown
    Matt Encarnacion
    16 May 2018, 2:59 p.m.
    Newcastle say they are well in the hunt to sign Melbourne State of Origin forward Tim Glasby (R).

Newcastle are well in the fight to lure Queensland representative Tim Glasby to the NRL club next season, according to coach Nathan Brown.

Glasby is believed to have all but signed off on a move to join the rebuild at the Knights at the end of the year when his contract with Melbourne expires.

Brown remains hopeful of adding some genuine starch to his forward pack.

"We'd like to think we're well in the fight there. I don't think anything's been official there at the moment, but we certainly haven't been a told 'no' - that's for sure," Brown told reporters on Wednesday.

Glasby's possible signing comes after the club had missed out on recruiting another State of Origin star. Jarrod Wallace re-signed earlier this week with Gold Coast on a long-term deal.

Brown admitted the club were in the market for a power forward, and confirmed they had also been in negotiations with St George Illawarra prop Leeson Ah Mau.

However, it is understood Ah Mau has made a return home in Auckland a priority.

"That was something he expressed in the meeting we had with him. Him and his wife have got a property there and family there. They've got a young one," Brown said.

"Their choice was going to be fairly family-based, if that option was available."

Brown insisted that while management had money to spend in their salary cap, they would not make any rash decisions with recruitment.

He pointed out how the club signed halfback Mitchell Pearce late in the off-season.

"We're certainly not going to go and all of a sudden undo the work being done to help us move forward and spend the money in the wrong areas just to try and get a kill," he said.

"Obviously, the market is getting skinnier in front-rowers at this stage but there's always changes to coaches, salary-cap pressure and different whatnot.

"We just have to be patient until the right things come along."

Australian Associated Press

9. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

NRL: Warriors hoping to lure home St George Illawarra forward Leeson Ah Mau
    4 May, 2018 12:22pm
    St George Illawarra forward Leeson Ah Mau is off-contract and in high demand with rival clubs. Photo / Getty Images.
    The Warriors are hoping to lure home former club junior and St George Illawarra impact forward Leeson Ah Mau for next season.

The Auckland-born front-rower or lock is off-contract and the Dragons are keen to re-sign him but face serious competition with several other clubs also interested including the Knights, Titans, Panthers and Warriors.

With uncertainty over whether former Warriors captain and 284 game veteran Simon Mannering will play on next year into a 14th season, the club could have a spot in the starting pack they need to fill.

The Herald understands the Warriors also made enquiries earlier this year about signing Canberra, Queensland and former Kangaroos forward Josh Papali'i, but Ah Mau appears to be their priority.

Warriors general manager of football Brian Smith confirmed coach Stephen Kearney had recently spoken to Ah Mau, however the club is yet to table a formal offer.

"We have got some interest but that's about all I can say at this point," said Smith.

"Steve has quite a good relationship with Leeson and we're certainly interested and know that he's off-contract.

"We have had some discussions with his agent but that's where things are at the moment.

"The next week or two will tell us where that's going. We're not in a rush and his agent's been really good to deal with so hopefully we can take our time to work our way through it."

Ah Mau in action for the Warriors under 20s side in 2009. Photo / Photosport.

The Warriors playing roster for next season is almost full but they have space for one more player, although Ah Mau won't come cheaply.

The Dragons presented a new contract to Ah Mau last month but they may struggle to match rival offers with his asking price believed to be around $500,000 a season.

Talk is strong that Ah Mau would like to be closer to family in Queensland, but he and wife, Rose, also have family here in Auckland, and a return home is not out of the question if the Warriors could make a competitive offer.

The issue of the club's ownership is believed to have delayed negotiations but with that matter now resolved the Warriors are expected to advance talks in the coming days.

The 28-year-old debuted and played two games for the Warriors in 2009 and has played another 160 matches after joining the Dragons in 2012 following two years at the Cowboys.

The Papatoetoe and Otahuhu junior has been outstanding off the bench for the competition leaders this season adding plenty of thrust and aggression as a replacement for starting props Paul Vaughan and James Graham.

"He's really improved in the last couple of seasons," said Smith.

"He's really tightened his game up and he's a player to be reckoned with these days for sure."

Smith confirmed the Warriors are tight on money having recruited heavily last year in signing the likes of Tohu Harris, Adam Blair, Blake Green, Peta Hiku and Gerard Beale.

"That's going to be the very, very limit of activity for us this year because we've got a full book almost already for next year," said Smith.

"I don't see it as a negative. With the strong influx of players that came into the club from last season it's a bit much to expect your salary cap to be free of too much cash.

"It will be steady as she goes in the main for next year."

10. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

NRL: Dragons forward Leeson Ah Mau to join Warriors on three-year deal
    25 May, 2018 2:37pm
    By: David Skipwith

St George Illawarra forward Leeson Ah Mau will join the Warriors next season.

The Herald understands the 28-year-old Auckland-born front-rower or lock has agreed to return home to take up a three-year deal believed to be worth around $500,000 a season that will keep him at the Warriors until the end of 2021.

The Warriors began discussions with Ah Mau earlier this season and beat out offers from several rival clubs including the Knights, Titans, and Panthers. The Dragons also attempted to re-sign him.

The move will bring the former Junior Warrior back to the club he began his NRL career with. Ah Mau played two games for the Warriors in 2009, before moving to the Cowboys and linking up with the Dragons in 2012.

Ah Mau was initially believed to be keen to sign with a Queensland NRL club, but both he and his wife, Rose, have family in Auckland, which was a big factor in his decision to return to the Warriors.

It's understood Ah Mau this week informed his St George Illawarra teammates that he will depart at the end of the season, ahead of Saturday's top of the table NRL clash with second-placed Penrith at Panthers Stadium.

The Samoan international and former Junior Kiwi has been an outstanding performer off the bench for the competition leaders, who have lost just two games so far this season - against the third-placed Warriors and fourth-ranked Rabbitohs.

The Papatoetoe and Otahuhu junior was one of the Dragons' best in their round seven 20-12 defeat at Mt Smart Stadium last month and has been dynamic as a replacement for starting props Paul Vaughan and James Graham.

Ah Mau's recruitment will ensure the Warriors have depth in the middle forward role with uncertainty over whether 287-game veteran Simon Mannering will play on beyond this season.

His arrival will mean the Warriors playing roster for next year is almost full and the club has little money left to spend after recruiting heavily last year in signing the likes of Tohu Harris, Adam Blair, Blake Green, Peta Hiku and Gerard Beale.

11. Run_it_str8
    Join:
    Apr 1, 2016

Run_it_str8 1st Grade Fringe

Awesome news for our middles.

Welcome home big guy.

Now Tohu can only get knocked out at training.

12. Brother Faisal
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Brother Faisal 1st Grade Fringe

awesome, kearney and co are signing real players, no more mickey mouse Dean Bell recruiting

13. playdaball
    Join:
    Apr 23, 2012

playdaball Heritage Member

Good signing & a thought ... is his 3 year contract, one year too long?

Just a question, I have no strong feelings about this. I suppose fans asked the same question about Luke but his 3rd year has been his best yet.

14. Dunedin warrior
    Join:
    Nov 10, 2014

Dunedin warrior 1st Grade Fringe

In terms of what we needed, Ah Mau is the best available, experienced, in form and at 28 coming into prime prop age. A good pickup and addresses our biggest weakness.

15. ForTheLoveOfGod
    Join:
    Sep 5, 2017

ForTheLoveOfGod Warriors Bench Player

Outstanding signing, the aussies were saying he is the form prop of the NRL for 2018. Extremely hard to pull down and almost always busts or runs through the first tackle. He is a real metre eater too and is a big reason Dragons have been tough to beat this year as when Graham and Paul Vaughan come off he actually keeps and often raises the standards up front.

A lot of Dragon fans on their forum disappointed he is leaving and rate him better than James Graham who Warriors fan were very keen to sign.

16. JaggedJ
    Join:
    Apr 19, 2018

JaggedJ 1st Grade Fringe

Why would it be one year too long? Hee's only 28, age isn't an issue.

17. Run_it_str8
    Join:
    Apr 1, 2016

Run_it_str8 1st Grade Fringe

He adds strength to our prop rotation. He seems to be aging well. Throw in an off season or 3 under Corvo and that he's "coming home" and things look ok. Let's just say of he turns mud let's then hope we can release him to the ESL

18. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

Someone posted a photo of Gelling getting touched inappropriately when he was doing his Jesus pose thing.
    Hopefully Ah Mau will apologise for that when he gets here.
    Oh and to Tohu haha.

19. dean
    Join:
    Mar 13, 2016

dean 1st Grade Fringe

Great signing. Who do we shop around, Lisone or Vete or both ?

20. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

Toronto is calling!