Rumour Left Wingers Score More Tries Than Right

Discussion in 'NRL Discussion' started by facefacts, Jul 17, 2016.

1. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

facefacts 1st Grade Fringe

The right side defense nearly always have more traffic come their way simply because the majority of players are right handed, which is why left wing is historically the most prolific try scoring position in the game.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List

2. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

That depends on how deeply you want to delve into the try scoring stats. If you only want to look at who is #1, then you are correct. Go a bit deeper, and the stats tell quite a different story.

Of the try five try scorers in the different forms of Aussie First Grade league, only one, Irving, played most of his career on the left wing but occasionally played on the right wing. #2, Menzies, was a forward. #3, Slater, a fullback. #4, ET, played some games on the wing but spent more time at either FB or Centre as his career went on. #5, Terry Lamb, a 5/8.

Of the top three try scorers presently contracted only one is a winger, Manu, numbers 1 & 2, although both injured at the moment, are fullbacks - Slater and Stewart. #4, GI, has had some games on the wing but is now mostly a Fullback and occasionally, a centre and even a 5/8. And, #5 of the current players, is a left winger, Brent Morris.

Of course, the injuries to Stewart and Slater may mean that they'll be retiring soon making Manu, if he continues to play, the player currently playing with the highest try tally and lift Morris closer to the top.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

Using genuine fact to disprove biased opinion, wins every time.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  4. Weno
    Join:
    Nov 3, 2012

Weno 1st Grade Fringe

Pass is a pass . Gas or no gas.

5. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

He was sure looking for somebody to pass to;)

6. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

I'm not sure what individual try scoring records have to do with why the right side defense more often than not make more tackles than the left, or why teams favour their left side attack, but i'm sure it makes sense to you...cool story bro.

7. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Interesting way to contradict yourself: firstly, you support your argument with a fact that's not true.
    And then you wonder why you have been challenged on it.

Bro, perhaps your arguments would have more credibility if you didn't make up crap (such as the most prolific try scoring position) to back up something that is true (generally, the ball will head left more than right because most of the players are right handed).

• Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  8. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

As you seem to believe listing the top try scorers somehow changes the fact that the left wing historically scores more tries than any other position, maybe you would like to make a list of all tries scored by each position over the history of the competition, and lets see if i'm right. It would be a bit better than your five of the six top try scorers in the game weren't wingers so you must be wrong theory:rolleyes:...now thats a weak argument.

9. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Let's make that sample for historic try scorers larger then and see how that works out for you:
    Of the top 10 try scorers, more fullbacks (3) than left wingers (2)
    Of the top twenty try scorers, more fullbacks (5) and right wingers (5) than left wingers (4)
    Of the top equal thirty try scores, more fullbacks (9) and right wingers (7) than left wingers (6) which is also equal with centres.

And, to make things worse, the seven right wingers all played on the right wing. Of the six I've included on the left wing, three from early to the middle of last century I can't find any record of which side they played on so I've included in the left side figures to not show any bias. It could be possible that of the 34 players who make up the thirty equal top try scorers, only three may have played their careers on the left wing - making them equal to 5/8's.

I could go further down the list, but that only makes it even worse for you as the number of left wingers compared to other positions gets even worse!!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  10. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Mate, I wouldn't want to do that!!! I'd show up with a single shot Flint lock duelling pistol while he'd be trying to convince everyone his AK47 was a duelling pistol ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  11. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Don't worry, there would be more than just yourself lining up on your side.

12. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

Jay M Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

not siding with anyone here, but those stats don't mean a lot. It possibly means that not a lot of left wingers player enough games to score enough to register on the top try-scoring charts.

i.e. 2 left wingers might have played 5 games each and scored 6 tries each, but a right winger who played 10 games might have scored 7 etc...

what we'd really need to see to prove or disprove the original claim is that of all the tries scored over x period of time/games, how many tries were scored by each position on the field.

I had a look the other day when this topic came up and couldn't find enough data to answer the question one way or another.

• List
  13. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Interestingly, this season, the Warriors right wingers (13 tries) have scored twice as many tries as the left - something that, according to some, shouldn't happen. But then others to have scored more than the left wingers (6) are left centre (10), right centre and halfback (9).

The others are: second row combined (6), props combined (5), hooker and stand off (3) and FB (1).

14. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

So you are saying Kata doesn't pass?

Thats one club, for two thirds of a season, hardly statistically significant.

I wish we actually had the stats to be honest.

15. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

I think the key point here is that one is attempting to trivialise Manu's try scoring record. He's a club legend, let's all move on.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2016
    • List
  16. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Just had a look at the strike rates for the top 20 nrl/nswrl first graders per position. This is the total tries for that positions/total number of games played in that position. BTW, I've only included the first twenty as when I went down to the first thirty, the numbers went dramatically down for the left wing so I didn't want to be accused of showing data that was beneficial to me. The higher the number, the better.

Second row = 0.66
    Left wing = 0.64
    Right wing = 0.64
    Fullbacks = 0.62
    Centres = 0.61
    Five eight = 0.48

All are very close except for 5/8 which is only based on Terry Lamb's figures as he is the only player to regularly play 5/8 within the Top 20. Also, two of the four left wingers I've used, I couldn't actually find which wing they played on but if I'd moved them from the left wing to the right wing, the figures would change to
    Right wing = 0.66
    Left wing = 0.62

If you want to look at it another way, of the total tries scored by each position, the percentage of tries scored is:
    Fullbacks = 25%
    Right wing = 24%
    Left wing = 21%
    Centres = 14%
    Second row = 11%
    Five eight = 5%

Move the two "unknown" wingers from the left wing to the right and the figures change quite dramatically:
    Right wing = 34%
    Left wing = 11%
    (the rest remain the same).

17. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

just to clarify - over what period is that info and where did you get it from?

18. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

He is an NRL legend, not just a club legend, but every dog has his day.

19. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

From the reliable source that is Wikipedia and the oldest player shown on the list is Harold Horder who started playing in 1911 to present players so it pretty much covers the NSWRL, SL and NRL First Grade from the beginning of league in Sydney. It's a list of the players who have scored more than 100 FG tries (67 players in total). Of the 67, four played (even very briefly for some) at the Warriors; Manu (11th with 149), Nigel Vagana (17th with 140), Phil Blake (19th with 138) and Greg Alexander (=49th with 111).

20. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Completely agree however I'm simply addressing his try scoring record.