Leivaha Pulu

1. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Some clips of future Warrior Leivaha Pulu from Titans vs Broncos round 7.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

I'm a big fan of the play before the points scoring play.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  2. ramps
    Join:
    May 2, 2013

ramps 1st Grade Fringe

Thanks bro been wanting to see what all the fuss is about. Good depth singing imo. I think he would fill a good impact bench forward role more than starting

3. Fazz
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Fazz 1st Grade Fringe

Our 'no name' and 'bargain bin' signings always seem to work out better for us than the huge signings, so I'll be watching him with interest. Hopefully he can continue the trend of relatively unheralded forwards coming to us via QLD and going on to become valued members of our club.

4. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

His defense isn't FG ready yet, and certainly not full FG. He posts lots of ineffective tackles in his stats. Hopefully SK can show him the light.

His hit up meters are solid, averaging 9.13 meters per hitup this season, playing mainly on the edges.

What I like is his agility for a big dude, and his ability to push through the line and offload.

Loads of talent, just needs to master the basics.

5. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

cool, so something new for the warriors then

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  6. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

I like how in the second video McQueen gets all the credit

7. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

NRL: Leivaha Pulu home for brother
    4 Mar, 2018 5:00am

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    New recruit Leivaha Pulu has impressed Warriors coach Stephen Kearney. Photo / photosport.nz
    By: Michael Burgess

"I wanted to come back and help and encourage him. It will be difficult for him when he comes out but I want to be there, to share some of the knowledge I've learnt on the way."

The former Titan has been a regular visitor — "Every time he calls, I tell him to send the request to let me go and see him" — but admits it will be emotional to be reunited with his sibling.

"I'm counting down the days," said Pulu. "It's been difficult being in Australia. Being back home, I can hopefully just pop around, and if he needs anything, I can help out."

Pulu also revealed his brother wants to use league as a vehicle in his ongoing rehabilitation.

"He has been playing footy inside prison and he wants to give it a go," said Pulu. "He has found the love for it. He doesn't tell anyone he's my brother, but hopefully he's proud of what I'm doing.

"He wants to come out and give it a go . . . he really wants to give it a good dig. He's lost a bit of weight, as they all do, stopped smoking, and he's looking better. He's coming out to better himself."

Pulu's return to Auckland, 12 years after he first left, caps an unlikely journey for the 27-year-old.

He was a promising school-age player — good enough to win a scholarship to Keebra Park High School as a 16-year-old.

Graduates from that famed Gold Coast nursery include Benji Marshall, Jordan Kahu, Greg Eastwood and Te Maire Martin, and Pulu looked on the same trajectory when picked up by the Tigers.

But it didn't work out, and the arrival of his first child also meant priorities changed.

"I became a father at a young age [19] and had to put my dreams on hold for a while to provide for my family," said Pulu.

Life was tough. Pulu worked a succession of different manual jobs from landscaping to traffic control as he focused on putting bread on the table for his family.

"I was a jack of all trades: A scaffolder, landscaper, a forklift driver, a security worker, a warehouse worker, a labourer, form worker. I worked in a bar, I unloaded containers, I did traffic control.

"But I never had a job where I was secure, it was just whatever I could get. I remember when my wife gave birth to my first child at 3am, I left the hospital at 7am and went to work straight away — just a grind. But I had to do whatever I had to do."

Pulu continued to play league, but hopes of a professional career were fading fast.

"It wasn't easy," said Pulu. "There were times when I was told I wasn't going to make it, I didn't have what it takes. But I was lucky to have a good support group and my wife was encouraging.

"Once, I came home from work and I said 'I'll just work, eh?' and she said 'no, keep going'. She saw I wasn't happy."

An off-season playing in France when he was 23 helped to spark his dream of making it in league.

"Looking back, France was a turning point for me. It made me realise how good it could be — all I did was play footy, which was the first time that had happened in my life. That lit the fire."

On his return to Australia, Pulu caught the eye of the Titans after a strong season with the Wyong Roos, and made his NRL debut aged 25 in March, 2016. Pulu's difficult path to the top has made him more hungry to succeed, as he's all to aware of the alternative.

"It has made me more appreciative of everything, to this day," said Pulu. "It was pretty hurtful at times but you have to keep going and hopefully let the tide change.

"I was lucky enough to get a break with the Titans. I wanted to give it my best shot and if it didn't turn out, at least I knew I gave it my all. Now I've got the chance to do more."

Warriors coach Stephen Kearney is a fan, and it seems likely Pulu, who has 45 NRL games behind him, will be part of the team to face the Rabbitohs in Perth in round one. At 1.92m and 111kg, he offers power and an intimidating edge, something sorely needed in the Warriors pack.

"He's brought a lot to the team, made a strong impression," said Kearney. "He's a guy that has worked hard to get where he is now and that shows . . . he's certainly putting his hand up."

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

8. playdaball
    Join:
    Apr 23, 2012

playdaball Heritage Member

I do like the ’ cut of his cloth’.Pulu looks like a mature person with a purpose to succeeding in RL. Hopefully he has cemented a spot in the top 17 for game 1.

9. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

flying coconut 1st Grade Fringe

He is a going to be good. Very impressed by him.

10. Centurion
    Join:
    Oct 14, 2015

Centurion 1st Grade Fringe

Pity about Paasi's injury because him, Pulu and Gavet I was looking forward to them ripping and tearing opposing packs. Would hope to add Satae to that group too one day. Just a thought.

That might be when Blair is at his most effective.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  11. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

He’s one of our biggest forwards and fits the prototype modern front rower with his frame ala Jesse Bromwich/Campbell-Gillard/McLean. I don’t see why Kearney couldn’t use him in the same way, he has the footwork and the work rate.

He could start with Blair, he’d be tight through the middle, we know he’s a strong defender, Paasi and Gavet would be more effective as impact players from the bench imo, Gavet with his quick play the balls and Paasi with his ball playing.

12. Run_it_str8
    Join:
    Apr 1, 2016

Run_it_str8 1st Grade Fringe

Get well soon big guy. Hope to have you back to your best for the end of regular season and into the finals running the left edge.

13. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

He would be the biggest surprise out of our of our recruits this year. After he signed watching him at the Titans he'd fall off tackles or lose the ball in the tackle.

We don't have that player. He was fantastic this year. A case of a player playing better at the Warriors than what we saw elsewhere.

The tough off season helped. I admit I didn't see a great deal of him at the Titans but it looks like we have given him a role that suits him.

14. Boats n Hoes
    Join:
    May 14, 2012

Boats n Hoes 1st Grade Fringe

Really missed.

Since he went down I think the whole balance of that pack has gone a bit screwy.

Pulu was a legitimate threat on that left, Tohu on the right.....just opened up so much more options.

15. BlaqAdam
    Join:
    Mar 5, 2016

BlaqAdam Warriors Bench Player

Tohu was a good buy this season. Does his job, unselfish and reliable on defence. Also gives the props a good break when he takes hit ups late in the game, Quality dude.

16. warriors4eva
    Join:
    May 21, 2012

warriors4eva 1st Grade Fringe

was happy when i heard Pulu and passi were coming , so much potential which the titans seem to drain from alot of players

gutted Pulu is out for another 10 weeks or so, we have been missing him for sure, Papalii not at that level yet in my opinion

17. Run_it_str8
    Join:
    Apr 1, 2016

Run_it_str8 1st Grade Fringe

Papali'i has been positive this season but I felt for him getting hit high by Napa. If he was older I wouldn't have minded as much

18. Sammyw11
    Join:
    Mar 8, 2016

Sammyw11 Warriors Bench Player

Pulu
    Harris
    Blair

imo thats up there with the best backrow in the comp. im hoping when Pulu is fit he picks up just where he left off