General Discussion Mad Butcher takes hit on Facebook.

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by Wellington Warrior, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

Sounds like The Mad Butcher has had an interesting day on Waiheke Island...

Check out his Facebook page comments section. Being accused of having a racist tanty at a girl and her family about Waiheke being a white mans island and asking them to leave.

2. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Doesn't sound like the butcher. Have you got the link?

3. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

The video has been posted to the comments section of his Facebook page.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  4. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

I don't know what happened but I would like to hear the Butcher's version before I made any decisions. It just doesn't sound like him.

5. wazzas
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

wazzas 1st Grade Fringe

A lot of the comments on his facebook page suggests it does sound like him. Not too many of us know him personally so we cannot assume those comments to be correct either, but some people can have very differing personas between public and personal.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  6. 1995Warriorsfan
    Join:
    Feb 22, 2016

1995Warriorsfan Player Agent

The butch is no racist.

7. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

True, I don't know him personally.

8. ramraider78
    Join:
    Aug 24, 2012

ramraider78 1st Grade Fringe

I've known Butcher to shoot from the lip a few times over the years, stood there when he said some borderline racial remarks but TBH IMO he's not a racist, he stops me at games to say Hello and talk about club footy and I'm a 100% coconut :D;) - He's been like that for years,saying things off handed but that's his personality since I've known him but the old fella bit off more then he can chew this time, social media has reach and times are changing.

• List

9. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

I wonder if he was trying to funny in his way....and it came off all wrong!!

We won't know until he answers the absolute ballbagging he is getting on his Facebook page at the moment!!

Gotta love social media. Guilty until proven otherwise!!!

10. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Video has now been removed.

11. jsmooove
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

jsmooove 1st Grade Fringe

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

The NRL will include the Auckland Nines as part of Barba’s ban, meaning he would return by the quarter mark of the season.

This would cap off a remarkable four months for the gifted flyer, who has gone from the high of a premiership to the low of a cocaine charge

could this be the greatest joke the NRL has done?

12. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Well well well.... once you get the other side of the story

Mad Butcher Sir Peter Leitch says Waiheke Island comments weren't racist but 'misinterpreted' after woman's video goes viral
    9:30 PM Tuesday Jan 3, 2017
    Sir Peter Leitch speaking at the Pride of NZ national awards in 2015. Photo / Greg Bowker
    Sir Peter Leitch says a woman "misinterpreted some light-hearted banter" after she claimed he made racist remarks today.

Auckland woman Lara Bridger posted a video on social media this afternoon claiming Sir Peter - the Mad Butcher - told her Waiheke Island was a "white man's island".

She tonight took down the video, saying "people were going a bit overboard with threats and racist comments" at Sir Peter in response to her post.

The 23-year-old Maori woman said she was wine tasting with her mother and sister at Stonyridge Vineyard when they spotted Sir Peter eating lunch with his family.

The group waved to him before heading outside, she said.

She says Sir Peter came out and approached them and began making conversation.

Bridger said Sir Peter had warned the group not to drink and drive before going on to say they must not be local.

"I go 'Yeah, I'm actually born here'. That's when he said 'Well this is a white man's island and you should acknowledge that'," she said.

Sir Peter, in a press statement, said he was "extremely disappointed that a young woman on Waiheke Island had misinterpreted some light-hearted banter he had with her".

"I was joking with her group about not drinking too much because there were lots of police on the island. She said that she was Tangata Whenua and could do what she liked, and I responded with a joke about it being a white man's island also.

"This was not a serious comment and was only ever intended to be light-hearted banter.

"When she later informed me she was offended by my comment I apologised unreservedly. There is no way I can ever be accused of being rascist.

"The irony is that I was with my own granddaughter, who is herself of Ngapuhi heritage."

Leitch's Facebook page was flooded with angry posts from members of the public after Bridger posted the video.

Bridger's mother, Sarndra Wharepapa, earlier told the Herald she had got up and went inside to speak to him after "a good five minutes" of mulling over what he'd said.

"I just said to him 'I really think what you've just said to my daughter is unacceptable. I'm quite offended that you could talk to my daughters like that'."

Bridger was upset and tearful over the incident, saying it was the first time she had experienced anything like it.

She said he did not offer an apology or try to explain why he made the comment.

The group said the manager approached them after the incident and offered them a free wine tasting tour as compensation.

Numerous comments have now been posted onto Sir Peter's Facebook page. Some are asking for his version of events. Others are telling him he should be ashamed.

Bridger's video was widely shared before it was removed, and had received more than 90,000 views.

In the post explaining she had deleted the video, she said her "point was made".

"I was just upset that someone whom I once looked up to had that mentality."

"People were going a bit overboard with threats and racist comments but that's not me, I don't wish any bad upon anyone and making more racist comments will make us no better.

"I don't like attention, that's not me, but the video went viral and backlash happened. I will contact him myself and hopefully he'll understand why I was so upset . . . Waiheke is a beautiful place everyone should be able to enjoy."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2017
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  13. dean
    Join:
    Mar 13, 2016

dean 1st Grade Fringe

Its a sad state of affairs when Peter Leitch is accused of being a racist. Maybe a 23 year old woman of Maori descent at a wine tasting at an exclusive vineyard on Waiheke hasn't heard of the work he has done supporting people of all creeds but especially Maori and Polynesians around South Auckland over the last 40 odd years.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List
  14. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

Johnnyray 1st Grade Fringe

Agree.

" I have been called a racist, but I don't think I am. If they listen to what I do, the character always comes out on top."

- Billy T James circa 1985.

Source : Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. :)

• List
  15. Rilakkuma
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Rilakkuma 1st Grade Fringe

Its pretty sad some of the things people are saying about the butcher. He seems like a genuinely nice fellow who likes to chat with everyone. I met him when I was 17 years old and he just started a random conversation with me. Some friendly cheeky banter. He didn't have to talk to me. He didn't have to talk to that girl either. If he was a racist, I`m sure he wouldn't have even bothered starting a conversation with someone of a different ethnicity.
    I have not seen the video, so I can not judge. But, if what the NZ herald story says is true. That she said she could do what she likes, (drink and drive) because she is a member of some tribe, then that is far worse than what the butcher said. Regardless of your color. If you drink and drive, you are a bloody idiot!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  16. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

Had a run in with Sir Pete and by today's standards his comments were racist. I don't necessarily like the Butch but I respect the man a great deal. Won't say he's racist but he's, ummm, old school.

Truth is we are all racist to some degree. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  17. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Mad Butcher Sir Peter Leitch says Waiheke Island comments weren't racist but 'misinterpreted' after woman's video goes viral
    Sir Peter Leitch says a woman "misinterpreted some light-hearted banter" after she claimed he made racist remarks today.

Auckland woman Lara Bridger posted a video on social media this afternoon claiming Sir Peter - the Mad Butcher - told her Waiheke Island was a "white man's island".

She tonight took down the video, saying "people were going a bit overboard with threats and racist comments" at Sir Peter in response to her post.

The 23-year-old Maori woman said she was wine tasting with her mother and sister at Stonyridge Vineyard when they spotted Sir Peter eating lunch with his family.
    The group waved to him before heading outside, she said.

She says Sir Peter came out and approached them and began making conversation.

Bridger said Sir Peter had warned the group not to drink and drive before going on to say they must not be local.

"I go 'Yeah, I'm actually born here'. That's when he said 'Well this is a white man's island and you should acknowledge that'," she said.
    Sir Peter, in a press statement, said he was "extremely disappointed that a young woman on Waiheke Island had misinterpreted some light-hearted banter he had with her".

"I was joking with her group about not drinking too much because there were lots of police on the island. She said that she was Tangata Whenua and could do what she liked, and I responded with a joke about it being a white man's island also.

"This was not a serious comment and was only ever intended to be light-hearted banter.

"When she later informed me she was offended by my comment I apologised unreservedly. There is no way I can ever be accused of being rascist.

"The irony is that I was with my own granddaughter, who is herself of Ngapuhi heritage."

Leitch's Facebook page was flooded with angry posts from members of the public after Bridger posted the video.

Bridger's mother, Sarndra Wharepapa, earlier told the Herald she had got up and went inside to speak to him after "a good five minutes" of mulling over what he'd said.

"I just said to him 'I really think what you've just said to my daughter is unacceptable. I'm quite offended that you could talk to my daughters like that'."

Bridger was upset and tearful over the incident, saying it was the first time she had experienced anything like it.

She said he did not offer an apology or try to explain why he made the comment.

The group said the manager approached them after the incident and offered them a free wine tasting tour as compensation.

Numerous comments have now been posted onto Sir Peter's Facebook page. Some are asking for his version of events. Others are telling him he should be ashamed.

Bridger's video was widely shared before it was removed, and had received more than 90,000 views.

In the post explaining she had deleted the video, she said her "point was made".

"I was just upset that someone whom I once looked up to had that mentality."

"People were going a bit overboard with threats and racist comments but that's not me, I don't wish any bad upon anyone and making more racist comments will make us no better.

"I don't like attention, that's not me, but the video went viral and backlash happened. I will contact him myself and hopefully he'll understand why I was so upset . . . Waiheke is a beautiful place everyone should be able to enjoy."

- Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• List
  18. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

That probably sums it up. "Old school" Kiwis could be racist without meaning it. That came out of misunderstanding and Victorian English attitudes.

The thing is a "harmless" comment has to be in the view of the receiver. Racial minorities in NZ used to take such comments on the chin giving the impression they were comfortable with it, when inside they were offended.

A lot of Kiwis could get a better understanding if they lived in a country where they were a minority, and understood the local language. Being referred to as a "foreign dog" in another language is an interesting experience.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  19. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

It's not just being un-pc or any that shit, you can say whatever you like in a free country, people have the same right to be upset with you if you say something they don't like.

Vineyard visits on waiheke is pure wankery no matter your colour or position in society thou.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  20. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

Anyone following Mark Hunt on FB? Guys going to town on the Butch...