Media Matters

Discussion in 'The Nerd Zone' started by rugged, Sep 15, 2016.

1. rugged
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

rugged 1st Grade Fringe

Mod - Original post that has been knocked down after moving older posts from the Kieran Foran thread...

--------------------------------------------​

At the moment a few publications have directly linked his name to match fixing. He launches a defamation suit and every newspaper reports on the suit.
    He has denied it in public. Even if he provides everything you are suggesting people would still believe he had selected what he wants to provide to prove his innocence. Even if you win a defamation case it still won't really clear his name cos of the ole "where there is smoke their is fire." chesnut. Look at people like Cairns and David Bain, winning a legal battle still has not turned the perception for a large section of the public. You and I woudl obviously handle it differently, but my point is that suing is not the only valid response here. For some private people the last thing they would want is a long court case so denying and moving on is just as valid as using the courts to clear your name.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2016

2. Beejay
    Join:
    Sep 14, 2016

Beejay Waterboy

I'm afraid if we were so quick to divulge that much personal information every time the press flippantly threw an allegation or two around, there wouldn't be much personal privacy left.

And getting a result would simply encourage more of the same.

No thanks, let the real adjudicators judge and the press simply go back to reporting.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List
  3. Play The Ball
    Join:
    Jun 8, 2015

Play The Ball 1st Grade Fringe

These allegations are a little different to regular stories. If he can't explain himself my guess is that stigma will follow him regardless now. If I were Foran I would want to not just avoid being found guilty but I would want to provide a reasonable explanation so the great majority of people believe I didn't do anything wrong.

4. diehard
    Join:
    Jan 27, 2016

diehard 1st Grade Fringe

If you were Foran, OH NO you wouldn't!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Deranged
    Join:
    May 24, 2012

Deranged Warriors Bench Player

Remember that Kieran has clearly suffered from some serious mental health issues and a trial will not make his life less stressful. He may not have fixed matches but could well have done things that he is not proud of and doesn't what coming out in a trial. Regarding opening up his phone, bank, email etc. Again he could have things that aren't illegal but he doesn't want people knowing about.

Obviously if he has been a naughty boy having a defamation trial now is a terrible idea. If I were advising him I would be telling him to say nothing whether he was guilty or innocent.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  6. Play The Ball
    Join:
    Jun 8, 2015

Don't get me wrong I understand your points but how stressful do you think it will be with this entire investigation being linked back to him? Every story that gets run will have his photo attached to it.

7. Iafetas Kickstand Wang
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Iafetas Kickstand Wang 1st Grade Fringe

If Kieran has done nothing wrong, then the stress is only being caused by narrow minded sensationalist media hacks really. If he truly is innocent, why dive deeper into it just because a few media scum can't let it go.

• List
  8. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

and if he is guilty?

9. Iafetas Kickstand Wang
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Innocent until proven guilty Inruin. I believe that is a fundamental foundation of our legal system.

He hasn't even got to the point of having a case to answer, he's not been brought before any court or judicial system. From what I can see he's been prejudiced in the media due to his associations.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  10. Deranged
    Join:
    May 24, 2012

Deranged Warriors Bench Player

Media Hacks is a bit strong. If there is smoke around something like match fixing it is the media's job to chase it down. I know some people in the media seem to be just after sensationalism but not all of them. It is the media's job to make sure something like this isn't swept under the rug, you know the whole 4th estate thing.

• List
  11. diehard
    Join:
    Jan 27, 2016

diehard 1st Grade Fringe

Ask PTB if it's true. He knows everything! True story.

12. Play The Ball
    Join:
    Jun 8, 2015

If allegations aren't leveled or investigated how will we ever stop corruption? Head buried in sand material I'm afraid. As soon as the mentality takes hold, corruption becomes rife.

• List
  13. RobRoyMcCoy
    Join:
    Apr 19, 2012

RobRoyMcCoy 1st Grade Fringe

Of course you are right. However allegations of corruption can and should be sent to the police and investigated.

Allegations of corruption leveled by the press or the public without proof is defamatory.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  14. Play The Ball
    Join:
    Jun 8, 2015

And throughout history media's role has been to hold people to account, in turn helping notify police of manners needing further investigation. On your second point - it is only defamatory if they are challenged to prove something they've alleged and can't.

15. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

The media's role in society is to provide people with the truth.

When the media fails to do this they can all get fucked IMO.

• List
  16. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

really?

I thought it was to sell more newspapers.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  17. Iafetas Kickstand Wang
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

It isn't the medias role to hold people to account. I think you are confusing its role with that of the judicial system. The media, if that is its role by your definition, has often got it horribly wrong in the interests of sensationalising to sell ad space. There are many who use the media to perpetuate self interests.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  18. Iafetas Kickstand Wang
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Of course it is. It serves a commercial interest. It may have a vision of upholding the truth but commercial reality leads to other drives.

• List
  19. RobRoyMcCoy
    Join:
    Apr 19, 2012

RobRoyMcCoy 1st Grade Fringe

You asked how else could corruption be dealt with. We have now agreed that the police are another means. You suggest the press can help by notifying the police. So can the public. The difference is the public don't sell advertising

Your second argument is like saying you only murder someone if you are proven to have done so, rather than when you stick the knife in. Technically that may be correct, but I don't think it helps the injured party feel any better.

It is quite ironic that you claim the press is innocent until proven guilty is the case of defamation but the same courtesy does not seem to extended to Keiren Foran who is likely to be hurt by the press who are smearing his reputation by innuendo, without him being charged with and crime, let any convicted.

• List
  20. Stone
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Stone 1st Grade Fringe

I personally have nothing against you, your posts or your role in your chosen profession brother

But c'mon man, that's laying it on a bit thick don't you think ???

Surely you've heard of Nazi Germany, Communist China, Fascist Russia or the mass propaganda machine better known as The Multinational Corporate Media ???

Jus Sayin ;)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List