General Discussion Most Influential Kiwis To Win A NRL Premiership

Discussion in 'NRL Discussion' started by Brother Faisal, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Brother Faisal
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Brother Faisal 1st Grade Fringe

I've been thinking which kiwi players have had the biggest impact on their team to win a nrl premiership.

My top pick would be benji Marshall tigers 05. Carried the team and was the creator of magic that pulled off one of the great grand final tries.

Can't think of any others atm but I'm sure others might have some names to put forward.

2. mode81
    Join:
    Jul 25, 2012

mode81 1st Grade Fringe

Definitely Benji in 05'.. dude redefined half play with his sizzling step and freestyle play.. Had glass shoulders in those days though. Definitely influential in that Tigers team alongside Scott Prince.

SBW in 04' with the Dogs.. Fearless shoulder charging destructive player at that time. Played a major role helping them to a Premiership but that team was stacked to the moon.

Then again in 13' with the Chooks SBW came back from a 5 year hiatus a better well rounded player and helped guide that team to a Premiership again in another stacked team.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Weno
    Join:
    Nov 3, 2012

Weno 1st Grade Fringe

Tawera Nikau is my stand out.
    1999 Melbourne Storm V St George Illawarra.
    Down 14-0 at Half time.
    Tawera Nikau came out with the fire and started putting huge shots on any Dragon that carried the ball.
    He just got the ball rolling and inspired Stephen Kearney , Glen Lazarus , Rodney Howe etc to follow suit.
    Tawera Nikau inspired his team and they brutalised The Dragons to win that grand final 20-18.

Had to laugh when Nobby won The Clive Churchill medal.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 12
    • List
  4. RiceOwl
    Join:
    Mar 28, 2015

RiceOwl 1st Grade Fringe

I know he certainly isnt a fan favourite with his commentary, but Darryl Halligan was a big part of Bulldogs efforts through the mid-late 90s. Without his boot from the sideline int he 98 semi they wouldnt have been there.

Agree with Weno though - Tawera was definitely the most influential player on the field in that grand final.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  5. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington David Shitwell Contributor

Agree with all of the above and will also add Matthew Ridge for Manly in 1996. Had a stellar season and Warriors fans would have been rubbing their hands thinking how awesome it was we were getting him the following year...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  6. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

To say he carried the team is simply untrue and disrespectful to the rest. The Tigers forwards laid the platform that year with their speed and agility. Go back and watch the games again and you will see a pack that played the ball faster than any other team in recent history. Skandalis, Laffranchi, Gibbs and a young Heightington led the way. Bryce Gibbs was one of the fastest props I have ever seen.

The outside backs were perfectly balanced with Elford and Whatuira in the centres and Fitzhenry and Richards on the wing. Pat Richards I rate as one of the greatest wingers of all time. His departure to Super League meant that most people forgot about him. For all the wanking on that highlight reel fans like to make about Benjis inside flick pass it was Richards who still had to beat his defenders to score the try who should really get the credit.

Benji was great and was an important figure in the game but Scott Prince was the real cornerstone of that team and played the better game out of the halves. Thats why he won the Clive Churchill Medal. Not Benji...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  7. Brother Faisal
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Brother Faisal 1st Grade Fringe

Is he the only kiwi half to win a premiership? i cant think of any others. just wondering.

8. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Only one I can remember. Whiz, Stace and SJ came close but no cigar...

9. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Foran

• List
  10. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Mathew Ridge won that GF for Manly with that tap forward at the play the ball. Interesting how he went over here, but then the club was really sick by then.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  11. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Yes but that try was seen around the world, believe me.

12. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

And?

Most famous try in the world is Nathan Friend's backflip...

13. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

Don't forget Dene Halatau, he was immense through the finals

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  14. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Also Galea and Payton had great seasons...

• List
  15. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Nikau was immense in that second half played like a man possessed.

Wasn't he under an injury cloud before that game? I recall he had a concussion or something and there was debate if he'd play or not. I remember my neighbor trying to talk sense to me (a teenager at the time) that he shouldn't play the week after a concussion. My response he's not missing a Grand Final. Different times back then but it would be interesting to see how serious the concussion rules are treated the week before a Grand Final moving forward.

Like brucebruce mentioned he got possession back with the short kick which lead to the try before half time.

• List
  16. AusWarriorsFan
    Join:
    Sep 4, 2016

AusWarriorsFan Warriors Bench Player

I think you would to throw Ridge and Halligan in there (did he win one). At that time when no other team could kick, Ridge revoltionsied the conversion and penalties and showed how important than can be in a match and Halligan just capped it of. So whilst they had no singular plays (although ridge was a damn good FB) their kicking definitely helped their teams immensely. When ridge was kicking upward of 80% the norm was a mel maninga toe hacking 60% at best.

• List