Ngani Laumape

1. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan 1st Grade Fringe

Congratulations to Ngani on his performance in his first start. As far as fitness goes I don't see any change in his body shape at all.

2. Iafetas Kickstand Wang
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Iafetas Kickstand Wang 1st Grade Fringe

Is the correct answer never?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  3. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington David Shitwell Contributor

He was coming off an ACL injury and was always going to be below par fitness wise. Balancing on a medicine ball for 6 months will do that to anyone...

4. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

It wasn't meant as a criticism. Just that posts were disparaging the Warriors fitness regimes.

• List
  5. JoeyJohns
    Join:
    Mar 29, 2016

JoeyJohns Warriors Bench Player

Didnt you know? We here at the forum are not only super coaches but high performance nutritionists and fitness experts!

6. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Wow, so as I live near Mahia I am a Rocket Scientist too.

7. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

I was supporting your comment. I think the team are well fit.

Some people just like to put the boot in without knowing what they are talking about even if its kicking the wrong ass like Ruben Wiki...

8. JoeyJohns
    Join:
    Mar 29, 2016

JoeyJohns Warriors Bench Player

Yeah, but sharpen up on that.
    Not quite, but when the next launch successfully reaches orbit, then you can call yourself a rocket scientist.

9. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Ngani Laumape was named 2017 Hurricanes Player of the Year at the annual awards in Wellington. PHOTO: Getty Sport

LAUMAPE SCOOPS TOP PRIZE AT HURRICANES AWARDS NIGHT
    Midfielder Ngani Laumape has scooped the top award at an emotional Hurricanes 2017 Awards Night that saw the club farewell some of its favourite sons.

Laumape was named as the 2017 Hurricanes Player of the Year at the Te Wharewaka Functions Centre after a season that saw the second five score a single season club record of 15 tries to propel himself into the All Blacks.

The 24-year-old was one of only two players in the Hurricanes squad to start every match in 2017, the other being Player of the Year finalist Brad Shields.

Laumape's 15 tries bettered Tana Umaga's single-season Hurricanes record, and tied the Investec Super Rugby all-time single season try-count achieved previously by wings Rico Gear (Crusaders in 2005) and Joe Roff (Brumbies in 1997)

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  10. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Well deserved. Coming from a Union background I was talking to a guy in the know who reckons Sam Louisi has started to attract some attention.

He isn't in the AB frame yet but has climbed up the pecking order of Locks this year. If he steps it up again next year who knows.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  11. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

Just goes to show how wildly different the two codes are, especially in forward play.

Sam Lousi was never going to make it as an NRL player, lacks the agility, stamina, fitness, etc that are absolute pre-requisites to be an NRL player, but his physical attributes seemingly convert well to Union.

Also puts in a light what an absolute machine Brad Thorn was - there have been a number of backs that have done well in both codes (given the backs of both codes require similar attributes), but the number of forwards that performed at his level in League and Union... that's a rare thing indeed.

• List
  12. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Brad thorn drank nothing but water and stretched for 2 hrs a day, every single day... When your that committed you can beat just about anyone...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Hard to compare but Louisi seems much improved in those areas.

14. ShaunJohnson7
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

ShaunJohnson7 1st Grade Fringe

Who cares? Hes not missed we got Kata whos a far superior player :)

Seriously though to come back into Union and in your second year make the All Blacks, win Hurricanes player of the year, from 2nd five set the Hurricanes single season try scoring record and tie the ALL TIME super rugby season try scoring record is just outstanding.

I always loved him as a Warriors but I could never have predicted what he's been able to achieve in union so early on. I'm glad he got out of the toxic Warriors environment and went to a real franchise......now we are seeing him realise his full potential and its pretty damn brutal.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  15. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

Thing is the Hurricanes WERE the Warriors in terms of culture until about 5 years ago since then 2 minor premierships, 1 title, 2 grand finals and semi finalists. Someone from the Warriors needs to be finding out how the did it and do it

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  16. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

facefacts 1st Grade Fringe

They hired a coach with talent.

• List
  17. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Save the fuel, the Chiefs did the same.

18. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

Also culled some big names with shit attitudes

• List
  19. Ever Hopeful
    Join:
    Feb 24, 2013

Ever Hopeful 1st Grade Fringe Contributor

They hired Mark Hammett who gutted the team of it's big name stars with shit attitudes, then got destroyed by the media and fans, and then got dumped.

Now he can't get another coaching job whilst the team goes from strength to strength off his hard decisions

Having spent some time working with him in a mutual charity organisation we were involved in, he is a top notch guy who got a bum deal. I wonder if he knows much about league....

• List
  20. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

Interesting parallel with Warriors is one of his criticisms we're trying to get the canes to play like the Crusaders which didn't suit the squad they had

• List