General Discussion North Sydney Bear's NRL Return

Discussion in 'NRL Discussion' started by Johnnyray, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

Johnnyray 1st Grade Fringe

Awesome. Looks like if the rumours are true, North Sydney Bears could be back in NRL and if that happens speaking as an ex-fan of theirs I couldn't be happier :

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Source. Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

The North Sydney Bears could be making a return to the NRL - but will likely be based on the Gold Coast.

A takeover of the Gold Coast Titans has been investigated by the Bears, with the view to rename the team the Gold Coast Bears,
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. Link has been hidden. Please Register to view..

The new franchise could play some home games on the NSW Central Coast, but would predominantly remain on the Gold Coast.

The Titans are currently run by the NRL after going into administration in 2015.

Also this from Gold Coast Bulletin : Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

North Sydney Bears rumours linger as Gold Coast Titans launch NRL season at SeaWorld

THE Gold Coast Titans’ unique season launch this morning was somewhat overshadowed by whispers of a potential takeover by the North Sydney Bears.

According to Rugby League Week, the Bears are in talks to buy out the Titans and rebrand the team to be known as the Gold Coast Bears.

Titans boss Graham Annesley was this morning aware of the speculation — and described it as just that.

However, Annesley said if there is truth to the rumour, it would be positive for the Gold Coast to have people interested in the club.

The Titans welcomed their 2016 members with a breakfast and spectacular dolphin show at SeaWorld.

Front rower Luke Douglas got a little closer to the action than he might have expected, being invited out of the crowd to jump in and meet one of the dolphins.

Whoopeee ! Gold Coast Bears ! I'm going go off and buy a stupid hat ! Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. :happy:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List

2. CompletionRate
    Join:
    Sep 13, 2015

CompletionRate 1st Grade Fringe

As an ex-bears junior I am absolutely stoked to hear this, may it revitalize a club that's good for little else than the wooden spoon.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  3. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Very appropriate, the Bears never won anything either.

4. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

He says without an hint of irony on NZ Warriors Forum ... ;)

5. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

We won the JJ Giltinan once.;)

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

The bears were my first team too- Mark Graham and Clayton friend were my heroes back then and now living on the gc myself I'd be stoked.
    Then they could tie them in with the burliegh Bears who are a very stable club with their finances in order.
    I'm gonna have to do some digging on this one coz it's the first I've heard of it.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  7. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

Premierships: (2) 1921, 1922

Runners-Up: (1) 1943

Minor Premierships: (2) 1921, 1922

Finals Appearances: 1908, 1921, 1922, 1928, 1935, 1936, 1943, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1964, 1965, 1982, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998

Undefeated Season: 1921 (8 games: 7 wins 1 draw)

Reserve Grade Premierships: 1940, 1942, 1955, 1959, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993

Third Grade Premiership [and equivalent competitions]: 1937, 1945, 1946, 1959

President's Cup: 1918, 1933

H 'Jersey' Flegg Memorial Trophy: 1998

Sevens: Runners-Up: 1996, 1997

City Cup: Winners: 1920, 1922 Runners-Up 1913, 1959

League Cup: Runners-Up: 1919

State Championship: Runners-Up: 1945

Pre-season Competition: Runners-Up: 1964, 1966, 1977

Midweek Cup [as Amco Cup]: Runners-up: 1976

Channel 10 Challenge Cup: Winners: 1978

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  8. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Don't forget Fred Ah Khoi, Eddie Heatley,Darryl Halligan and Doug Rollerson. Somebody from the Trainspotters Club will up me on that for sure.

• List

9. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

I guess I was wrong, they haven't won anything in almost 100 years:p

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  10. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

It's hard when you're not in the competition.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  11. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Blame Manly for that, the sneaky bastards. The Bears stayed loyal to the NRL and got shafted.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  12. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

So North Sydney Bears are Chicago Cubs of NRL competition ? I really regret buying that hat now ! Dude ! :bag:

13. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

The Bears of the mid nineties were legendary. Talk about not being able to get over the finals hump. At least we made a GF or two, considering the talent they they had it was almost criminal.

• List
  14. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

They had Halligans boot and some steady players like Larsen, Moore, Greg Florimo and that jailbird who played on the wing.

15. RiceOwl
    Join:
    Mar 28, 2015

RiceOwl 1st Grade Fringe

Huge bears fan...absolutely buzzing about this news! The bears were what kicked off my love of rugby league.

True story - My uncle was their head trainer through the early nineties, and when I was a 5yo I went to watch their preseason games at carlaw (obviously before the mighty warriors were in the picture) and was sat next to Darryl Halligan in the changing sheds after the game. He then became my idol growing up (even if he can be a bloody hard listen on the box!), and remember him being a great guy.

But back to the bears...Would love to see them back in the competition, especially being a foundation club. They were a great club to follow in the nineties and I remember crying as a 7yo boy when they got bailed out in the semis! ha.

• List
  16. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

This would help the NRL's expansion plans. They seem to favour Perth and another Brisbane side. But having a side on the Central Coast always gets highlighted as something that would be ideal. At the moment if they let in Perth or Brisbane or perhaps both it would still be a while away before contemplated adding another team or two which could include the Central Coast.

This way they can get the presence on the Central Coast. Kind of like killing two stones with one bird.:confused:

It would be interesting to see how the split would work. The Gold Coast seems to be a graveyard for sports teams; would they be supported strongly on the Central Coast and struggle on the Gold Coast? Would they eventually just move to one?

• List
  17. Blain
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Blain 1st Grade Fringe

Why would they be more supported if they change their name to the Bears? It's re arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.. If they had a split between the GC and Central Coast however, that could add something to their supporter base.

But then again, it's still the Gold Coast team. Don't think it would move old Bear followers to actually support them.

18. FAN
    Join:
    Mar 17, 2014

FAN 1st Grade Fringe

Was Cappy their coach too:finger: ???

19. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Yeah we still could be a long way off from it happening though as according to Rugby League Week who broke news, North Sydney Bears are still only in preliminary stages to buy club ... :banghead:

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Also on side note who here is old enough to remember this game from 1987 when Glenora Bears played North Sydney Bears at Carlaw Park ? I forget all about it until I went looking for images of Bears on Google Search and all I got was loads and loads of pictures of naked hairy guys. Don't know what's up with that ... o_O

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • List
  20. Diesel
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

Diesel 1st Grade Fringe

And Ivan Clearly

• List