General Discussion North Sydney Bear's NRL Return

Discussion in 'NRL Discussion' started by Johnnyray, Feb 24, 2016.

1. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Forgot about Ivan. That might have been for a season between when he left Manly and went to the Roosters.It must have been after Halligan went to the Poodles.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. Weno
    Join:
    Nov 3, 2012

Weno 1st Grade Fringe

Former Waikato, NZ Maori and ABs squad winger Paul Simonson.
    He was a league sensation when he crossed over with Halligan,
    who was robbed of an ABs spot.
    Injury forced his early retirement

3. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

I think he played half a trial game, that is why I left him out. Sad end to his career.
    There are a lot of Sydney workers who commute from Gosford as well as retired people. There is nothing to do up there on the weekends, they can't even watch planes land. They would get the numbers and I applaud the Bears for the idea.

4. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Even if they kept the bulk of their home games on the gc it would still mean bears supporters could go watch all their away games in Sydney ( I'm guessing they have about 10 of them each year) so if they also played 3 or 4 of their home games at gosford plus a trial somewhere in norther NSW each year ( Coffs Harbour would be a logical spot) that's a pretty good deal for bears fans- certainly a lot better than what they've got at the moment anyway.
    It would also give them a huge junior base- biggest in the league

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  5. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

I agree. Manly isn't North Sydney and just leaves the place to union.

• List
  6. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

Johnnyray 1st Grade Fringe

Just want to throw this up here.

Moderators please feel free to remove it if it's off topic.

Ten reasons to celebrate North Sydney Bear's NRL Return :

Source : Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. :)

• List
  7. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

Interesting move always liked the Bears.

Can't help be a bit suspicious that the central coast know they are unlikely to be included in the next round of expansion (too many "Sydney" teams) and this may be them sneaking in the back door and slowly over time decrease to GC games and increase the Gosford games. Does make sense to increase the GC away crowds by associating with a Sydney brand

8. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

Also while I was looking around the internet for Bears footage in between the pictures of naked hairy men digging the garden and pulling the weeds (I think it was the weeds he was pulling) I discovered this : Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. Apparently Big Marn from Channel Nine Footy Show was in Auckland this week and he's done segment with kids under 9s from Glenora Bears out in Glen Eden. How cool is that ? I know that the kids out there would of loved it ! :)

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List

9. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

FLORIMO : GOLD COAST TAKEOVER LAST CHANCE FOR NORTH SYDNEY BEARS REVIVAL !!!

Central Coast Bears CEO Greg Florimo admits a joint-venture with the Gold Coast Titans represents the last chance for long-suffering North Sydney fans to get their team back.

MORE: Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. | Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. | Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. |

Florimo, who played 13 seasons for North Sydney, was the driving force behind the failed bid to have his beloved club reinstated in the NRL as the Central Coast Bears.

As revealed by Rugby League Week on Wednesday, the Bears are investigating a takeover of the beleaguered Titans.

If the bold plan to buy the licence and become the Gold Coast Bears goes ahead it would mark the fourth time the Gold Coast franchise has been renamed.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

"We think in terms of sustainability and for a club to be there in 10, 20, 50 years, the strength of the Bears' brand is going to supply that sustainability," Florimo, who hopes to meet with both the Titans board and NRL officials in the coming days, told Sky Sports Radio.

"It would be the Bears, the Gold Coast Bears."

"… I don't see too many other options presenting themselves.

"The energy and finance that we put into the Central Coast bid really didn't come to fruition so we're going hard to the plate on this."

It is understood the Bears would look to play two matches on the Central Coast every season if their bid is successful.

Source : Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. :nailbiting:

• List
  10. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Maybe we should become the NZ Bears?
    Same colours and then at least we could say we've won a couple of premierships.

11. Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

This is getting out of control.

Fuck the Bears, the Titanic Charging Seagulls and any other incarnation that forms on the Coast.

This love fest over a potential rebirth of a team that is not the Warriors has already gone far enough! (Slaps faces with wet salmon/s.....).

Now, intermission over, back to the main show, the most volatile RL playing entity in RL - The Mighty Warriors!!!

Mods, no more threads of delusional distraction so that we may do what we lambaste our team for doing - looking for joy in entrees when the main course sucks.

Fuck the Gold Coast.

Sorry boys, long week, may have given the reds a little leeway this evening.....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  12. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

fixed that for you, now do us a favour and clarify please:D

13. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

A long time ago I went to a match between the Bears and the Knights at Newcastle. I was surprised how many Bears fans(wearing Jerseys that is) who were getting off the trains from Sydney and going to the ground. My guess is a lot of them were from the stations between North Sydney and Newcastle.
    The Bears got done by the way, nothing new there.:(

• List
  14. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

NRL
    Maroons legend Billy Moore likes the ideal of Titans merging with Central Coast Bears
    September 19, 2015 2:00am
    Tom BoswellGold Coast Bulletin

Billy Moore and Greg Florimo back in 1994 when the North Sydney Bears had bite.

QUEENSLAND Origin legend Billy Moore says a takeover of the Titans by the Central Coast Bears could be a realistic option to help both parties.

Moore said it could be the Titans’ best chance at survival without relying upon NRL ownership.

“Something is better than nothing and from my point of view if someone said to me you can have your colours back in the game, the Bears emblem and therefore take on the history of the club I don’t care whether they play in Timbuktu,” said Moore, who played 211 games for the North Sydney Bears in the 1980s-90s.

“I’ll take it every day of the week and twice on Sunday. That should be the theme that all our old clubs have right now.

“If it means you have to go there to survive and they try to argue then you just say, do you want to go the way of the Newtown jets? The North Sydney Bears?

“To survive and have your club colours, your emblem and your history then that’s the legacy. The venue you play at is really only secondary.”

Moore said taking games to the Gold Coast, Central Coast and North Sydney Oval could engage some of the biggest untapped supporter bases with no downside.

“You would re-engage a massive supporter base that has been lost to the game and also re-engage the third largest CBD in Australia which is North Sydney,” he said.

“It’s a feel-good story and great for the game and would be enormous.”

Moore said the potential move should be coupled with the introduction of a second Brisbane team.

Titans chief executive Graham Annesley was adamant no approach had been made to either the Gold Coast or NRL about the move.

“It is rubbish and there is nothing in it at all,” Annesley said.

“We are the Titans, we are staying the Titans and we are staying on the Coast.”

Bears chief executive Greg Florimo said that their focus was on building their own bid without the support of the Gold Coast.

“We are not buying into the Titans,” Florimo said.

“It was just an interview where we talked about the options for the Central Coast Bears and I was pressed on a point that there may be an opportunity at the Gold Coast.

“My response was that our efforts are directed towards our current bid.

“We have had many discussions with the NRL in all sorts of capacities but (buying the Titans) is not one of them.”

Source : Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

:nailbiting:

15. MarkW
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

MarkW 1st Grade Fringe

Was one of my favourite Winfield Cup Jerseys.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  16. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

All the other clubs knew to belt Mark Graham out of the game because the rest of the forward pack were soft.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  17. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

Easier said then done. Mark Graham was the most feared man in the NSWRL during his time. They may have been trying to elbow him when he had the ball but very few knowingly ran straight at him...

• List
  18. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Only time I can remember an Aussie crowd chanting "kiwi, kiwi" was when graham was at the Bears.

• List
  19. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Likewise for mcgahn at the roosters.

• List
  20. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

and Richie Barnett. People forget how shite they were back then.

Seriously Welly, those were the days before TV replays. The word was stop Graham and stop the Bears. Eight to one isn't a fair battle.
    They had Fred Ah Khoi as well remember.

• List