Team List NRL 2014 - Rd 21 vs Canberra Raiders

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by InsideBall, Jul 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Halfback Shaun Johnson and back rower Feleti Mateo both return for the Vodafone Warriors’ trip to Canberra for their 21st-round NRL clash on Sunday (2.00pm local time; 4.00pm NZT).

Johnson (groin) and Mateo (calf) were both late defections from the line-up for last Sunday’s 12-22 loss to competition leader Manly.

Johnson comes back into the halves with Chad Townsend while Mateo is on a six-man bench with Ben Matulino, Sam Rapira, Thomas Leuluai, Tuimoala Lolohea and Sione Lousi.

Johnson has missed just three of a possible 79 matches since establishing himself as a first-choice selection in 2011.

Mateo played 79 consecutive matches for the club until he missed the fourth-round clash against Wests Tigers in Wellington in March.

Vodafone Warriors head coach Andrew McFadden said both players had recovered well after being ruled out of the Manly encounter.

“We’re very hopeful they’ll be right to play but we have Tui and Sione there as cover if needed,” he said.

Ex-Raiders McFadden and assistant coach Adam Mogg will be in familiar territory when they head back to the Australian Capital Territory this week.

McFadden had his second victory as Vodafone Warriors head coach against his old club at Eden Park in May – a 54-12 win – but this will be his first in charge in Canberra (he was assistant coach for last year’s 16-20 loss there).

The Vodafone Warriors have won just two wins in Canberra in their history with only one in 11 attempts at Canberra Stadium (a 31-24 victory in 1997 when former All Black Marc Ellis kicked five goals and field goal); the other win in the Australian capital was a 22-10 success in a one-off appearance at Manuka Oval in 2001.

“I’m not concerned about our record there,” said McFadden.

“This game is about focusing on ourselves and controlling what we can control.

“It’s obviously a hugely important match for us in the context of the season.”

The Vodafone Warriors go into the match sitting ninth on the table after a second consecutive loss.

They’re one of six teams on 22 points headed by North Queensland in seventh spot with Brisbane eighth.

The 15th-placed Raiders have an impressive record at Canberra Stadium overall with a winning percentage of better than 67 per cent but their 18-34 loss to South Sydney last night was their sixth in eight matches at the venue this year.

The match will be Ben Matulino’s 147th NRL appearance leaving him in line to play his 150th game when the Vodafone Warriors host the Sydney Roosters on August 24.

The contest to be the Vodafone Warriors’ top try scorer this season has tightened up with Manu Vatuvei and Konrad Hurrell both on 10, Sam Tomkins and Simon Mannering on nine and Johnson on eight. Mannering has had the distinction of scoring eight tries in his last eight appearances.

Vodafone Warriors v CANBERRA RAIDERS

GIO Stadium, Canberra

2.00pm, Sunday, August 3

Vodafone Warriors

1 Sam Tomkins

2 Ngani Laumape

3 Konrad Hurrell

4 Dane Nielsen

5 Manu Vatuvei

6 Chad Townsend

7 Shaun Johnson

8 Jacob Lillyman

9 Nathan Friend

10 Suaia Matagi

11 Ben Henry

12 Simon Mannering (c)

13 Sebastine Ikahihifo

Interchange:

14 Feleti Mateo

15 Ben Matulino

16 Sam Rapira

17 Thomas Leuluai

18 Tuimoala Lolohea

20 Sione Lousi

HEAD COACH: Andrew McFadden

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

Fairly predictable side. Dont know how Neilsen is still there but I fear we will likely see him there the rest of the season now unfortunately.
    Awsesome to see Shaun back in but with Tui on the extended it would suggest SJ might not be 100% ?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Tedster
    Join:
    Jun 29, 2014

Tedster 1st Grade Fringe

Are Neilson and McFadden distant relatives? Why else does he keep getting picked? Where is Bukuya?

4. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

Not the side I wanted to see, to be honest.

Firstly, Dane Nielsen has to go... If Fus is injured, there must be SOMEONE that we can put out on the wing... even if that person has to be Nielsen, I'd much rather have him on the wing than in the centre - he can't pass, a fairly important skill for a centre.

Where's Jayson? Injured? If not, he should be in the team.

Already said my piece on Friend, and I appreciate that it probably won't happen, but he shouldn't be there either...

Seb has been a little down on form of late, and should be coming off the bench as an impact middle forward for mine, especially seeing as we have our full propping compliment back, allowing Mutts to shift to that left edge where he is so damaging and Simon into the middle where he can dominate on defense and not have to pass in attack...

Not a huge fan of Mateo being there, he was very poor against the Broncos, and lost his place in the side for mine.

Hmmmm. This is a must win, and I am less confident than I could otherwise be.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    • List
  5. rugged
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

rugged 1st Grade Fringe

Earlier in the season The beast used to slot into centre sometimes. It worked well,while I would never play him there all the time I don't know why the tactic has been dropped. Especially when you have a centre with questionable distribution skills

• List
  6. jsmooove
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

jsmooove 1st Grade Fringe

surely Peyroux is a better choice than neilson......

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  7. stacky18
    Join:
    Aug 14, 2013

stacky18 1st Grade Fringe

Expect Tui and Sione to drop out. I don't have any problems with this team. Nielson is not as bad a player as the haters club around here suggests. The two tries put on his side were the effect of an overlap created by the middle men not shutting down the play. Konnied edge is the one that gives up tries due to poor decision making.
    I don't know what's up with Fus but it seems an effort thing , he doesn't work hard enough.
    This team should get the job done, just have to complete sets and create pressure.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  8. mode81
    Join:
    Jul 25, 2012

mode81 1st Grade Fringe

My trust with McFadden's team selections is starting to waver a bit.

I don't know why he thought it was the right thing to chop and change a winning team, he had the balance right leading up to the Broncos game then he made wholesale changes and it's turned to custard..

Too much generals like Friend and Leuluai trying to over ride the boss attacker Johnson

Pretty much back at square one with Nielsen's continued selection, all other teams must be licking their chops knowing their coming up against him, probably one of the weakest centers in the comp by a long way yet he continues to be selected, dumbfounded with his selection.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List

9. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

Might see Tui on the wing if Manu is not ok after the weekend. Can't really complain about the team, Neilson/Manu aside. Think we need four forwards on the bench against Canberra but can't see TL missing out.

10. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

What wholesale changes?

His changes have almost been exclusively injury or suspension related. The only players who have dropped off without being injured have been Gubb, Sam Lousi, Paasi and Bukuya and their replacements have been Leuluai, Matulino, Rapira, and Laumape.

If we can't beat this Canberra team with the players we've got named then those 4 names who were dropped aren't going to make a difference to this game or our finals chances.

We lost to a desperate Brisbane side and then we lost to a Manly side who had to make last gasp saves on at least 4-5 tries while we were without our key playmaker.

Those are hardly terrible losses in the grand scheme of things. It doesn't help our chances for top 8 I realise, but nothing "turned to custard" because we left off Lousi and Paasi.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List
  11. Boats n Hoes
    Join:
    May 14, 2012

Boats n Hoes 1st Grade Fringe

If goal kicking is the cause of SJs groin problem then bite the bullet and just let Chad carry on with the job.

Thought Bukaya looked a lot more effective playing middle of the ruck than the edge forward role he had been playing up to last week. Tough that he drops out. Mateo just brings a bit more to the table I suppose (or a shitload less depending how the planets align). No Leuluai could have been an option I suppose with Benry playing minutes at hooker if needed. I was anti Nielsen before it was fashionable to hate him, surprisingly though I don't have the same sense of dread that most have seeing him named. Would still rather Ngani at centre but in reality I don't think that's where this game will be decided.

Most important game of the season for mine. Absolutely have to get back on the wagon here.

• List
  12. mode81
    Join:
    Jul 25, 2012

mode81 1st Grade Fringe

Last two weeks have turned to custard imo and yeah they are terrible losses, we've look disjointed and back to that same old silly basic error crap that I thought we had got rid of but no! we've played like shit and I put that down to too much personnel changes, suspensions and injury aside this team is still a long way off challenging the top 4 teams

• List
  13. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Mcfaddens hedging his bets with experience and fair enough too.

Ngani came within one fkwit tackle of being the Warriors permanent left center.

There is no point hating on Dane, he is just doing his job as best as his limited talents allow.

If you wanna get mad about Danes selection blame Laumape, he started it bleh !

I'm ok with this team, Bakuya must have a reason other than form that he is not available, there has been lots of family issues and the foot injury.

The problem with Dane is he tries too hard at times.

Rather than pass the ball to Manu when Manu has over run the entire backline as he does.....do what Laumape does....don't pass it.....in other words resume normal Dane transmission.

If Mannering promotes the ball this week I will be convinced his ego is his downfall,

He doesn't have it..stop pretending....you are the captain knob

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  14. RobRoyMcCoy
    Join:
    Apr 19, 2012

RobRoyMcCoy 1st Grade Fringe

I am happy with the team APART from Danger. Would rather Fusitua. I guess McFadden is going for better defence than superior attack. I just hate how much worse the whole backline looks with Danger in it rather than Ngani to centre and Fusitua on the wing.

SJ back is fantastic. Eminently loseable game if we play badly. Cmon Boys!!

• List
  15. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

Apparently not. As I said in the other thread, don't understand this at all...

• List
  16. mode81
    Join:
    Jul 25, 2012

mode81 1st Grade Fringe

I fully agree with you I'm a huge Konrad fan and he has all the raw materials to be an elite centre but he still has a few issues that need addressing and these are the types of things that Matai could help Konrad with, positioning, defensive accuracy, timing, even hardening the fark up on field and playing through injuries.

• List
  17. Afakasi247
    Join:
    Mar 5, 2014

Afakasi247 1st Grade Fringe

Does anyone know why the fuck Bukuya keeps getting omitted? Surely Benry could replace Nielson and Bukuya slot back into second row? Man Cappy you playing with my emotions maaaaannn !!

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  18. Far Away Fan
    Join:

Far Away Fan Guest

I see your point, but four changes is more than one or two......wholesale? Why not.

Going from winning winning winning to losing losing, er....our soufflé got taken out of the oven and it turned to custard alright.

Yes, the losses weren't terrible, but they were losses. The Panthers were desparate to win, but we beat them pretty well. The Broncos were desparate to win, we lost.

Leaving out Lousi and Paasi wasn't the issue, IMO, it was who Cappy brought in. Too many chiefs, not enough indians.

Drop Leuluai and our winning structure is back where it was.

Drop Neilsen and our left side attack is reactivated.

Simples. I don't know why Cappy can't see this. Yes, the guys are giving it their all for, well not 80 now, more like 70, which is still a massive improvement. But otherwise, our campaign for this year is starting to look as though it's run itself off the tracks.

Even if those two have the best kpi's in the NRL, I really don't give a fuck. Drop them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2014
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  19. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

Neilsen or no Neilsen, this side should destroy Canberra.

If we can beat them at the Eden Cricket Ground, we can beat 'em anywhere !

20. RobRoyMcCoy
    Join:
    Apr 19, 2012

RobRoyMcCoy 1st Grade Fringe

Watching the NSW Cup replay now. Sione played big minutes in the first half and was very good (only up to half time :D ). He must be close to a return if Mateo pulls up lame.

• List

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.