Team List NRL 2014 - Rnd 4 Vs Wests Tigers Lineup + Pre Game Discussion

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by Miket12, Mar 25, 2014.

Outcome of tomorrow's big game?

Poll closed Mar 30, 2014.
  1. Warriors win! (showing the faith)

90.0%
  2. Tigers win (dwelling in eternal darkness)

10.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Tue 25th March, 04:27PMBy Richard Becht

Experienced Vodafone Warriors utility Thomas Leuluai will make his first appearance of the year in Saturday’s fourth-round NRL game against Wests Tigers at Westpac Stadium in Wellington (5.05pm kick-off; match day sponsor: Vodafone).

After playing every minute of the club’s 24 matches last season, the 28-year-old veteran has been sidelined since picking up a groin injury during the Kiwis’ 2013 Rugby League World Cup campaign last year.

He was close to making a return last week but has now been fully cleared to make his comeback at a ground where he made his NRL debut as a 17-year-old against the Bulldogs in 2003.

He has been named on the interchange bench alongside props Jacob Lillyman and Suaia Matagi and centre Konrad Hurrell, who was used predominantly as a back rower in last Saturday night’s win against North Queensland.

The starting line-up named is unchanged from the one used in the courageous 20-16 win over the Cowboys.

Back rower Feleti Mateo finished the game in Townsville but was ruled out this afternoon with a knee complaint, ending a run of 79 consecutive appearances since joining the Vodafone Warriors in 2011.

“We were hoping Feleti would be clear to play but his knee isn’t quite right,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Matthew Elliott.

“That’s disappointing but, on the other hand, it’s great having Thomas back.

“He was a really important part of our spine last year. He’s obviously very handy in the halves and also gives us cover at hooker.

“We probably made a mature decision not to play him last week. He’s a fairly useful bench player.”

While Leuluai’s return is significant the match also provides two notable individual milestones with captain Simon Mannering leading the side for a club record 92nd time and former Cronulla and Melbourne centre Dane Nielsen making his 100th NRL appearance.

Mannering equalled Steve Price’s record of 91 games as captain last weekend. He is not only just eight appearances away from 100 games in charge but he’s also just eight short of becoming only the second player to rack up 200 NRL games for the club (after Stacey Jones, who made 261 appearances).

“Simon commands so much respect from everyone in the club,” said Elliott.

“He’s such a high-quality player and leader as well as being a fine person.”

Mannering, in his fifth season as captain and his 10th as an NRL player. will achieve his record in a city which was briefly home for him before he moved to Auckland after signing with the Vodafone Warriors.

Returning home for his second outing as a Vodafone Warrior at Westpac Stadium will be the only genuine Wellington product in the side, prop Ben Matulino who was born and raised in Lower Hutt. He’ll be making his 136th NRL appearance.

Vodafone Warriors v WESTS TIGERS

Westpac Stadium, Wellington

5.00pm, Saturday, March 29

Vodafone Warriors
    1 Sam Tomkins
    2 Glen Fisiiahi
    3 Dane Nielsen
    4 Jerome Ropati
    5 Manu Vatuvei
    6 Chad Townsend
    7 Shaun Johnson
    8 Sam Rapira
    9 Nathan Friend
    10 Ben Matulino
    11 Jayson Bukuya
    12 Simon Mannering (c)
    13 Sione Lousi

Interchange:
    14 Jacob Lillyman
    15 Suaia Matagi
    16 Konrad Hurrell
    17 Thomas Leuluai

HEAD COACH: Matthew Elliott

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List

2. Mr Frank White
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Mr Frank White 1st Grade Fringe

Urgh Nielsen still stinking up center.. FML

Also thats a very light bench.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

That would depend on which end Konrad was sitting!!! ;)

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List
  4. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

flying coconut 1st Grade Fringe

I disagree, is Konrad wasnt on the bench then it would probably be Palavi on the bench, I dont know how much each of them way but I do know Konrad is going to cause a lot more problems for the Tigers then Pavlovalavi

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  5. Hitman82
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Hitman82 1st Grade Fringe

Good team.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  6. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Funny thing is, ME said this morning on RadioSport that he'd had the injury since the start of the season but it was responding to treatment. Maybe it's gotten worse since then or perhaps there's more "porkies" coming from Warriors HQ in an attempt to make it look like he hasn't been dropped.

• List
  7. Apus
    Join:
    Sep 6, 2012

Apus 1st Grade Fringe

'Knee complaint' huh. If you say so ;] ;]

Neilsen = poo, but the rest is fine.

• List
  8. Hitman82
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Hitman82 1st Grade Fringe

Not really a small bench as Hurrell is bigger than our props.
    Leuluai hits and runs harder than Mateo so we don't lose much beef there either.
    Expect a more composed effort with the angry short man with the crazy eyes barking instructions. Can't wait to see how Leuluai and Tomkins combine.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 10
    • List

9. way2sharp
    Join:
    Feb 28, 2014

way2sharp 1st Grade Fringe

Best we have right now!

• List
  10. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Just thinking about the team - scarier thing is that we have two centres prone to injury, another one the bench who can't play 80 minutes and another player returning from injury without playing even in the trial games. One or two injures (remember intensity the Tigers hit Souths with) and we could really be in trouble when it comes to interchanges.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  11. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

True, but 2 decent injuries screws every teams interchange. If Mannering or bukuya were to go down that would be trouble, then might get every warrior supporters favourite hypothetical - Matulino the 2nd rower. He's named pretty much the best 17 players he's got available, which is good.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  12. way2sharp
    Join:
    Feb 28, 2014

So....does Tommy come on for the Chad or Friendy....and when?

13. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

14. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

I'd say that, judging by what ME was saying today how he felt Chad went last weekend, he'd be replacing Friend. Another thought maybe to put Friend in at lock and either rest Lousi or Jason (with Lousi moving to the 2nd row).

• List
  15. way2sharp
    Join:
    Feb 28, 2014

Would love to see Tommy come on at hooker after 20.

• List
  16. Haydos
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Haydos 1st Grade Fringe

Good attacking team on paper. Lousi and Hurrell are going to have to step up with more minutes which is a worry.
    I don't mind seeing Hurrell roaming around on the edges..

I saw photos of warriors training today which had TL in at hooker.

If Mannering or Bakuya did go down TL is tough enough to fill in there also

• List
  17. RobRoyMcCoy
    Join:
    Apr 19, 2012

RobRoyMcCoy 1st Grade Fringe

Happy with that team. Tommy to hooker unless Hanging or Magic injured.

• List
  18. Waiting For Premiership
    Join:
    Jun 11, 2012

Waiting For Premiership 1st Grade Fringe

Heres one I can't figure out, If Mateo was fit, who would not be in the team ? I could only see it as Konnie. Also I don't think it was a Elliott masterplan to put him on when he did against the Cowboys, as Matulino was not going to return to the field, so basically ME had to put him on at some point. Not very sure of this team unless he gives Konnie 20 mins each half as a ball running prop, also Tommy has to come on for atleast half a game to replace Friendy. Elliot has some serious problems if he cant drop underperforming players and replace them with players of the same playing position, ie Mateo OUT Gubb IN.... Neilson OUT Hurrell IN.... TL as back up hooker and leave Chad alone.

19. phil.kingston
    Join:
    Jun 15, 2013

phil.kingston 1st Grade Fringe

I dont get it. Hurrell was struggling after 5 mins, how much is he going to offer in defence in the middle of the park...Farah will keep running at him (or behind him as he slowly gets to the defensive line) for as long as he is on the field. Lousi is going to have to play big minutes in the second row then, which is likely to bring his performance down? Why not just put Matulino in second row and Gubb comes into the line up...

feel we shooting ourselves in the foot by trying to be too cute...

20. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

That is some set of cojones on ME to drop mateo. bravo.

Also, that Aaron Woods fella should try his shenanigans on Matagi/Hurell/Bukuya and see how far he gets.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.