Team List NRL 2014 - Rnd 5 Lineup Vs Cronulla Sharks + Pre Game Discussion

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by Miket12, Apr 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

NRL ROUND #5 | Team announcement

By Richard Becht

Explosive centre Konrad Hurrell is back in the Vodafone Warriors’ starting line-up for the first time this year coming in for the injured Jerome Ropati for Saturday’s fifth-round NRL clash against the Cronulla Sharks at Remondis Stadium (3.00pm kick-off local time; 5.00pm NZT).

Returning on an extended bench is back rower Feleti Mateo, who was ruled out of contention with a knee injury for last week’s encounter with Wests Tigers at Westpac Stadium in Wellington.

Hurrell is the only change to the starting line-up used in the Capital with the luckless Ropati starting another lengthy stint on the sideline after breaking his jaw just 12 minutes into Saturday’s match.

After undergoing surgery in Wellington, Ropati’s return is tipped to be anywhere between six and 12 weeks.

In another selection feature Sione Lousi has been named at loose forward. He has been charged with a grade two dangerous throw offence for a tackle he made on Wests Tigers back rower Cory Paterson. The Vodafone Warriors have entered a guilty plea but have disputed the grading; Lousi’s case will be heard in Sydney on Thursday night.

“We’re naturally hoping Sione will be free to play for us against the Sharks,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Matthew Elliott.

If the appeal to have the grading reduced is unsuccessful, Sebastine Ikahihifo is set to come in for his first NRL outing of the year. He has been named on a six-man bench which also includes back rower Raymond Faitala-Mariner, who has been a regular team-mate with Ikahihifo in the club’s New South Wales Cup side so far this season.

Hurrell (22) played mainly in the middle of the park when he made a huge impact in his first outing of the year in the 20-16 win against the Cowboys on March 22.

He was even more influential on the right edge as the Vodafone Warriors surged to a 42-18 win in Wellington, their first in the Capital and also the biggest winning margin in their 12 victories over the Tigers.

In 68 minutes on the field he gave the final pass for three of winger Glen Fisiiahi’s four tries as well as making two line breaks, one leading to the astonishing try Shaun Johnson finished off right on halftime. Stats analysis varied in terms of how much ground he gained, one provider crediting him with 182 metres from 13 runs and another 133 from 11.

While Cronulla go into Saturday’s match at the bottom of the points table – and the only winless team so far - Elliott takes no comfort from the Sharks’ position.

“They’ve had a couple of tight losses and last weekend they happened to come up against a Newcastle side which played with massive passion and intensity following Alex McKinnon’s dreadful injury,” said Elliott.

“We always have the greatest respect for the Sharks. They’re a tough side to play at any time, especially at their place.

“You have a look at their squad and they have plenty of quality players who can hurt you.

“Our challenge is to build on what we’ve achieved. We’ll need to be better again than we have been lately.”

Of the 14 matches the two sides have played at Remondis Stadium, the Vodafone Warriors have won four, the most recent a 37-10 success in 2010.

Vodafone Warriors v CRONULLA SHARKS

Remondis Stadium, Cronulla

3.00pm, Saturday, April 5

Vodafone Warriors

1 Sam Tomkins
    2 Glen Fisiiahi
    3 Dane Nielsen
    4 Konrad Hurrell
    5 Manu Vatuvei
    6 Chad Townsend
    7 Shaun Johnson
    8 Sam Rapira
    9 Nathan Friend
    10 Ben Matulino
    11 Jayson Bukuya
    12 Simon Mannering (c)
    13 Sione Lousi

Interchange:
    14 Jacob Lillyman
    15 Suaia Matagi
    16 Feleti Mateo
    17 Thomas Leuluai
    20 Sebastine Ikahihifo
    21 Raymond Faitala-Mariner

HEAD COACH: Matthew Elliott

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List

2. RobRoyMcCoy
    Join:
    Apr 19, 2012

RobRoyMcCoy 1st Grade Fringe

Just watching out for the Sharks team now...

3. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

Is ME reading the forum these days? Palavi no where to be seen, Mateo, if fit, is the next best forward we got, Ikahihifo is in line for when Sione's appeal fails, not sure what role RFM has, cover for Mateo perhaps.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  4. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Six man bench named in case Mateo's knee does get him thru this week I'm guessing. From what I hear, it's 50/50 if he'll play.

5. BA-AD Luck
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

BA-AD Luck 1st Grade Fringe

Hopefully! Mateo's situation is an interesting one. As a coach, you are aware of the plans in place for a player returning from injury such as Mateo. As a fan, you just judge on their 80 minutes. Clearly, ME has a very clear role for Mateo and is extremely patient to ensure they get the best performance from him eventually. For us as fans, he's had his chance and he can prove his worth in the Reserves. For me, he can play if he plays as a second rower and his primary role is to bend the line. Once he pretends he's the worlds fattest halfback behind Sandow he can get scrubbed.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 10
    • List
  6. ShaunJohnson7
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

ShaunJohnson7 1st Grade Fringe

Pretty predictable team named really. I don't want a half fit Mateo in there, would rather Ikahihifo (I also think a week or two for Feleti in the Vulcans would give him a kick up the arse) and though I'm still not a fan of Nielsen, overall I like the balance of the squad named. I hope Lousi is cleared to play but if not then it will be good to see Seb given another crack.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  7. BA-AD Luck
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

BA-AD Luck 1st Grade Fringe

Is ME scared of a Mateo revolt if he had to return through the Vulcans?? Mateo would be one of the worst players at the entire club this year (based on performances) including NYC and Reserves behind probably poor Tuimavave.

• List
  8. ajofbrisbane
    Join:
    May 17, 2012

ajofbrisbane 1st Grade Fringe

So Gubb is now behind Ikahihifo & Faitala-Mariner in pecking order for a bench spot?????
    I don't agree with that at all.

• List

9. Haydos
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Haydos 1st Grade Fringe

Good predictable team. Funny how it takes ME 2-3 weeks longer than us to realise the obvious.

Nice to see ikahihifo ahead of palavi..deserves it with the effort he puts in each week

• List
  10. phil.kingston
    Join:
    Jun 15, 2013

phil.kingston 1st Grade Fringe

The only thing I can think of is he sees Gubb as a backup prop...so he wouldnt make it into the squad unless one of Matulino, rapira, Lillyman or matagi are out

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  11. Haydos
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Haydos 1st Grade Fringe

Gubbs a prop not a back rower

• List
  12. ajofbrisbane
    Join:
    May 17, 2012

I disagree....he is a back rower that can play prop.....he has better footwork and passing game than a prop

13. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

So if Mateo fails to be fit and Lousi gets suspended Faitala-Mariner makes his debut? Well done young man. Whether it comes to fruition or not, it can only be encouraging for him to get this close so soon.

• List
  14. ajofbrisbane
    Join:
    May 17, 2012

I watched Gubb here for two years with the Wynnum Manly Seagulls......he can play.......has good footwork & hands and good vision.

• List
  15. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

This team will win if it plays well.

So play well.

Good selection.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  16. phil.kingston
    Join:
    Jun 15, 2013

phil.kingston 1st Grade Fringe

Even after seeing what Matulino is capable of in the backrow our coach wont move him there...what chance is there of him using Gubb in the backrow

If anyone were to move into the backrow, its Matulino aye...Gubb at Prop and Matulino at backrow is (potentially) much more potent than the reverse

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  17. t-wade23
    Join:
    Jun 7, 2012

t-wade23 1st Grade Fringe

I don't know man I might be in the minority here but I can't stand Lousi game, a dude that big doesn't need to step he needs just hard and straight no bs too me he is soft a guy that size and the mins he plays should be getting close to 80-100 metres every time

At least with Ikahahifo he will rip in and give it a go Lousi sometimes I question his motor ah well

Trap game for sure this week the sharks will be hungry esp after there lackluster performance on Sunday and want to get there first win...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  18. ajofbrisbane
    Join:
    May 17, 2012

Yeah maybe..... I still think Gubb can play lock......our props need to run like Lilymann....imagine that....Lousi seems to find the handbrake 2 steps from the line.
    Look at the Tigers bench players from last week....they went HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• List
  19. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

There is some truth there, but he has run straighter and harder this year, he is improving.
    Ikahihifo has similar issues, but his is with his incesent spin moves at the line, puts pressure on his ball control.

• List
  20. ajofbrisbane
    Join:
    May 17, 2012

Which is why they should have picked Gubb....he has the experience of 2 years in the QLD cup....won 3 premierships and has one game in 1st grade....no point "blooding" a youngster in this game...it will be tough

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.