Post Match NRL 2014 - Rnd 7 vs Dragons Post Match

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by mt.wellington, Apr 19, 2014.

1. slaughterhouse.sa
    Join:
    May 26, 2012

slaughterhouse.sa 1st Grade Fringe

Yeah but you make no sense. That is a terrible idea lol.
    SJ to centre lol.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List

2. 22 BEAST
    Join:
    Apr 25, 2012

22 BEAST Warriors Bench Player

Why Manu? If Dane could pass the ball he could actually play as a winger

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  3. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

Just finished watching the replay of the game (was live from 3-5 am here…).

Gutted as I am with the loss, for the most part I thought the boys played well - the effort was massive from them. As has no doubt been said a thousand times, execution let them down completely.

The good? Well, obviously Sam Tomkins was amazing on attack, he was creating so much, giving space to those around him. He also saved at least one try I can think of and had some great takes in the air… definitely our best player on the park. Rapira, Lillyman were they're usual, excellent best. Simon as well. Ngani and David played very well as an edge pairing, considering the dearth of experience at NRL level - they certainly didn't let anyone down. I thought Seb was absolutely immense in the early exchanges… he's really putting his hand up. Tommy had some good play, put on a couple of good hits, but his kicking really isn't up to scratch as a primary NRL playmaker… Shaun ran the ball really well, and moreover, was making himself available for runs - I saw him take at least 5-6 hit ups in that game, which is much, much more than I've seen in the past. Saliva came on and really made a difference with his energy. I thought Benry was very good in his come back as well.

In the early exchanges (and it seemed to me for the majority of the game) we were really dominating the arm wrestle - we seemed to consistently have the better field position. The major, major issue is that there was no fluency in attack.

The bad? Well, I think given Cappy made it pretty clear to everyone that Nielsen was on relatively thin ice, I'm pretty sure he has now fallen through that ice. I'm going to make a call here - this season is only going to go as well as our left centre is able to play… Why? I don't know how many times they attacked down that edge, but the Leuluai to Tomkins combination, producing the overlap through Sam's speed was absolutely devastating, but it can ONLY work if there is a centre outside them that has the capacity to catch and pass with both great speed and accuracy, or if the pass isn't on, is able to produce a line break himself. Dane Nielsen cannot provided that. He simply cannot. The one that he DID get away was quite a huge margin forward… but, just look at the result. Manu could be an absolute weapon on that wing with Sam playing the way he is and does, but we just won't get to see that weapon used. I didn't get to see the Vulcans game, so I really have no idea how Konrad went, but I don't think we can persist with Nielsen any longer, he isn't up to NRL standard as a centre - if Konrad isn't ready yet, move Benry or even Peyroux there if we have to.

The refs… they definitely did nothing to help our cause, the game was extremely even in the first half, and but for a huge slew of penalties against us in the second half, we would have been in a much better position to compete. That's the second week in a row we've been absolutely murdered by penalties coming consecutively. There's no way we were that much less disciplined than the Dragons.

I thought Friend showed much more in his running game today, which we definitely something we've been calling for and was good to see, but I think ultimately, it doesn't do enough to balance out the ledger on the defensive side of things… it's just becoming to repetitive now - they target him in defense because they know time and time again they're going to get and extra 5 to ten metres, which is particularly frustrating when it's during the yardage sets coming out of their own end. In that regard it was unfortunate Bukuya wasn't fit for the game, because it seemed as though Simon was playing a left of right edge again, particularly when Seb was on the field, playing the lock role (which I have to say, he did very well) which meant that we lacked that presence in the middle. Unfortunately I don't really know what our options are here. Havili definitely came on towards the end of the game as a hooker, when previously he'd been playing as a lock type role, and he looked good, but there's no way he's ready as a starting role yet. Hopefully next week we'll have Jayson back, it'll balance out that back row better, and allow Simon to play in the middle the full 80, which will allow Havili to come on purely as a hooker, and maybe take more minuets off of Friend. Another option is bringing in Chad (or maybe even Tui) and pushing up TL to hooker… which possibly could improve our game all round, because chad definitely has the better short kicking game.

The brain explosions are really killing us too, the pushed, rushed plays; Gubb's ridiculous offload, Shaun's pass to no one, Nielsen being unable to do much of anything at all. Likewise our kicking game is letting us down hugely - Leuluai doesn't have the short kicking to really trouble teams, particularly when kicking to the corner - they're nearly always too shallow which doesn't give the chasers enough time to get to the ball. Although, just on this, I have to say that the opposition almost always seem to get away with ridiculous shields - they definitely are illegally impeding us on some plays, shifting their line to block our runners - this happens way, way too often.

I think when Jayson and Benny Matts come back, and when we have a proper left centre, we will look a lot, lot better on attack, which is the area which most needs working on right now. One good win is going to be enough to get our season rolling, and it really needs to come next week, we can't be 2 and 6 going into round 9.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  4. 22 BEAST
    Join:
    Apr 25, 2012

22 BEAST Warriors Bench Player

How can there be cohesion when one of the players is shithouse Nielsen?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Raurimu Massive
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

Raurimu Massive 1st Grade Fringe

I'm hoping a few things for the upcoming week:

That regardless of Cappy's worries about who to drop/promote, he manages to see how much better Mannering is at lock than 2nd row. An error and penalty against him, but some great solid running (80m from 9 runs), and a lot more strength in the middle preventing the opposition's typical 'run-it-at-Friend' easy metres. 43 tackles, 5 1-on-1s, 1 miss.

The team is shown footage of those bombs time and again, for a few reasons... 1) Lazy/non-existent chasers get called to task for lack of effort. 2) They then get to point out the number of times they actually knew what was going to happen. But mostly for 3) We can study St George's work on protecting the ball catcher, which was absolutely cause for envy.

Hoping we can start to get some shape to our backline - you know, those old fashioned things called "standing deep", and "running on to the ball"? Straight away that's Manu and Nielsen's offensive problems sorted. Their greatest sin isn't Nielsen passing like a gumby or Manu rushing in off his wing in defence, it's that their communication couldn't be worse if they were both blinfolded and wearing ball-gags.

• List
  6. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

¿N. ig-mah¿ Warriors 1st Grader

I have NEVER stuck up for Nielson. I have wanted him gone forever. He is destroying Manu's attack, and is not keeping to plan on defence. Manu has been instructed to go with his instinct and take the centre, but Nielson is waiting to go out to the winger.

You are confusing my take on what McFadden is doing, with my opinion. HE wants commitment, emotion and effort first, talent second. He is persisting with Dane until Konrad gets his head in the game, not me.

7. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

You think we need to sack another coach after 2 weeks? Thats a recipe for success!

How about putting some onus on the players to wake the fuck up and get their heads in the game. Nielson will definitely go, but only when we have an option. Carlos is no option, and Konrad is being taught about commitment and effort in defence. He showed nothing has really changed in the NSWarriors game, so he needs another week there. That gives us only a couple of options - Peyroux and Benry. But unfortunately, we were low on 2nd rowers this week, so we couldn't afford to spare them, unless we bring someone like Palavi up again. If Bukuya is back next week, then we shift one of the options to centre.

We have seen significant changes each week so far, and we will see others. Nielson is the biggest stand-out this time, and Leuluai. Shift Tommy, and export Nielson. Otherwise the team is heading in the right direction. But Johnson and Leuluai can't be our halves together. This requires Friend having less, or no gametime.

• List
  8. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

That is a random "proof" list. You ignore positions, and whe nJones figures are lower than Manu's, you allow Jones a "competes with Manu" grade.

1 Runs the game - it was his job, its not Manu's
    2 Runnig game - It was his positional responsibility, Manu doesn't have the same role
    3 Kicking game - not even going to comment
    4 defensive game. Stacey was surrounded by support, Manu is the last defender
    5 Footwork - Stacey needed it, but with manu's build, why bother?
    6 Passing game - Manu only needs one pass, back inside to his centre
    7 Kicking skills - same as 3, but again, no duh
    8 Try scoring - no competition
    9 Number of appearances - Manu has a massive frame and subjects it to massive carnage, so will always be succeptable to injury
    10 Game winning Xfactor - I would say its a lot closer than you rate it. But it requires Manu getting the ball

I'm not saying you have lied in any of your comments, but you have loaded them to prove your point.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List

9. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

I hate SJ's bombs. They are not big enough, or they are too long. They don't put the reciever under pressure. They fall safely inot the arms.

I would like to see Benry allowed to kick some of the bombs. He has the biggest bomb in the game. From 40 metres out, they will not only have time to contest them, but they can grab a drink and a smoke while they wait for them to come down.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  10. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

Thats a difficult stat to prove, but I like it.

11. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

We couldn't afford to have Konrad and Manu on the same side. We would have 2 guys rushing on the centre, instead of just one.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Kalcod
    Join:
    May 13, 2012

Kalcod 1st Grade Fringe

I thought one of our big problems was we let just too many offloads. Anyone have the stats? They just seemed to offload at will.

I think we are looking a lot better under AM and can see us turning this season around.

• List
  13. surfin
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

surfin Warriors 1st Grader

Highlights:
    ST finally got some long studs, can now take more than 3 steps without falling on his arse = brilliant try.
    ST does some "body on the line" defence saves some points.
    Neilson actually passes the ball to Manu twice, both forward, we get away with one = Manu doing what he does best.
    Some effort actually shown.
    NSW and 20s teams showed structure, skill, discipline, effort.

Lowlights:
    Whole team not deep enough on attack.
    Players that aren't FG quality continue to be picked.
    Gubbs pass.
    Stupid kicks to nowhere,compounded by no chasers and a refusal to stop no matter how obvious it is that they don't work.
    Stupid f*cken penalties, eg Friend giving a facial 2 metres off the Dragons line with the ref standing next to him, shit like that should be enough to get you dropped.
    The wrong types of players being on the bench, then forced to play out of position even though that was obvious even before kick off.
    Being a Warriors fan and not even caring when they lose, or is that loose?
    Stopping the lowlight list here because I'd use up all my data if I listed everything, from the last 7 weeks.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  14. warriors4eva
    Join:
    May 21, 2012

warriors4eva 1st Grade Fringe

These are the same comments about Nielsen from last week and the week before and the week before that ....I thought when mcflurry was assistant he would have noticed how shithouse Nielsen is !!!
    Konnie back in next week for sure ..should never have been dropped !

15. Maddog
    Join:
    Sep 12, 2013

Maddog 1st Grade Fringe

Fair call about Neilsen, he looks like a stuttering mess with ball in hand..
    However this team continues (has been for the last 2-3years) to be a poor first grade side.
    Too many critical errors and dumb penalties cost this side nearly every week!
    They were in their shell and afraid to off load the ball in the first half, too scared to drop the ball, but it happened anyway...

Am I the only one who thinks the Warriors only try one set play per set on attack?
    Does anyone else feel like Bill Murray from Groundhog Day?

Warriors have never been a team which can grind out wins and with this current playing roster, never will.
    I'd rather watch them throw it around, ad-lib style and lose, than them try to keep in the grind. Their kicking game isn't good enough to play that kind of footy.

I'm glad I aren't the only one sick to death of the SJ bomb, mix up your kicking game son!! For F sake.

• List
  16. rocketman
    Join:
    Jul 20, 2013

rocketman 1st Grade Fringe

Konnie is lazy he does not chase players if they get past him he stands there like a rabbit caught in the headlights. its all good scoring tries but u need to stop them we dont want him turning into a manu all offence no defence so he needs to have it drilled in to him early.

• List
  17. Rick O'Shay
    Join:
    May 1, 2013

Rick O'Shay 1st Grade Fringe

Henry, Can you please use some punctuation. I can't hold my breath for that long

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List
  18. AttilaTheGorilla
    Join:
    Apr 14, 2012

AttilaTheGorilla Warriors Bench Player

Outside backs get exposed on defence, though I guess it depends how compressed your line is. Under Cleary, we used to have a really compressed defence, and teams were beating us on the edges. Nowadays we play a bit more stretched.

• List
  19. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

was Nielsen that slow when he was the Storm, surely not. He appears to be running up and down on the same spot. Offers nothing at all, we'd be better off putting Ben Henry out there. He can actually pass a footy without it going forward

20. eamon
    Join:
    May 24, 2012

eamon 1st Grade Fringe

an awful lot of you saying they played well. While I tend to agree with this, there is so little passion in this team. There was bucket loads of it in the game agianst the tigers, and then......nothing!!!
    PASSION, PASSION, PASSION!!!!!
    GO THE WARRIORS

• List