Team List NRL 2014 - Round 19 vs Broncos Team List and Pre Match Discussion

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by mt.wellington, Jul 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Warriors five-eighth Thomas Leuluai in action. - Source: Photosport

A nervous Thomas Leuluai will make his return from injury when the Warriors play the Broncos in Brisbane on Saturday.

The 29-year-old utility, who has been named on the interchange bench, has been plagued by a troublesome groin that ruined his World Cup with the Kiwis and has seen him miss 12 games for the Warriors this season.

Confined to light duties on the treadmill, Leuluai returned to full contact training last week and will play his first game since April in a side featuring debutant Agnatius Paasi, also on the interchange.

"We're really happy to have Thomas back in the mix," said Warriors coach Andrew McFadden.

"He has been letting us know he's been ready for the last two or three weeks but we are just making sure he's ready to come back (from his groin injury).

"He'll be having some time in the dummy half role against Brisbane and he'll also give us cover in the halves.

"Bringing Agnatius in for his debut is really exciting for us. He's been impressive for our New South Wales Cup side and has worked hard for this opportunity.

"It's tough on Charlie (Gubb) and Sam (Lousi) but Aganatius deserves to have his chance in first grade."

Warriors:

1. Sam Tomkins,
    2. David Fusitua,
    3. Dane Nielsen,
    4. Konrad Hurrell,
    5. Manu Vatuvei,
    6. Chad Townsend,
    7. Shaun Johnson,
    8. Jacob Lillyman,
    9. Nathan Friend,
    10. Suaia Matagi,
    11. Ben Henry,
    12. Simon Mannering (c),
    13. Sebastine Ikahihifo.

Interchange:
    14. Feleti Mateo,
    15. Ben Matulino,
    16. Agnatius Paasi,
    17. Thomas Leuluai,
    18. Jayson Bukuya.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2014
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 9
    • List

2. The Truth
    Join:
    Jun 17, 2013

The Truth 1st Grade Fringe

Mateo to prop.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

I don't see TL being an 80 minute hooker. Is that where you think they're going or is it more a case of phasing Friend out for TL/Havilli?

Would be happy enough with that team, but what the hell do we do when Rapira/Laumape are available again? (Ok, the Laumape question has an obvious answer). Injuries clearing up and suddenly we have some depth again.

I think playing the lock as a third prop on the field has really reduced the necessity of having a four prop rotation to some extent. Matulino, Mateo, Ikahihifo can all play a bit of "prop" in the scheme of things.

• List
  4. ryno
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

ryno 1st Grade Fringe

I think we can get away with having a small mobile bench against the Broncos...

That bench would worry me against the Doggies and Bunnies.

5. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan 1st Grade Fringe

No major suprise if they go with that. Bukuyu was always going to come back in. Will be interesting how long TL gets. Lillyman only played 25 minutes so he will do a lot more this weekend. Because they were replacements for the Eels game no surprise to see Gubb and Louisi drop out. However they did good IMO. Ikihihifo, Mannering and Mateo can take some slack there. That way Matulino can still play on the edge. If he plays a prop role no drama.

The other question mark is Nielson. I thought he went OK against the Eels, however he will have to be on his game big time against the Broncos centres. Another strong D game from the guys will be vital.

If they decide to go with TL as a starting hooker Benry can give him that cover. I reckon that TL could be the turbocharger for an already V8 pack.

• List
  6. wallacenz
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

wallacenz Warriors 1st Grader

TL to FB, ST to utility bench player

7. RobRoyMcCoy
    Join:
    Apr 19, 2012

RobRoyMcCoy 1st Grade Fringe

Very excited to see TL play hooker. Feel a bit stink for Havili but I guess his time will come. I guess being able to drop Gubb and Lousi from a team that won by 48 points shows we are travelling pretty well.

Agree with you Mt W about the bench size, and also that the other boys will spread the load up guts. Any word on how Benry's knee is?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  8. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

That bench is way to light for my liking....

9. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Mateo solves our proping problem. He's 112Kg. And he's difficult to handle. And with all our quality edge forwards we can use his ball playing in the center. He's a guy who should be able to play smarter not harder, and get us the sweet meters that way. But if he plays harder as well then he's a fricken maniac just waiting to happen.

Good to see TL coming back into the squad. He'll add a whole nother dimention to ST's game with some of the old Wigan manuvers. Those two have chemistry.

I can't wait. It's going to be a ripper in front off a home crowd up there at Suncorp... Wish I could be there.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  10. stacky18
    Join:
    Aug 14, 2013

stacky18 1st Grade Fringe

I'm happy with this team, definitely the most logical team.
    Thought maybe Henry to centre to mark Hodges and another forward on the bench to stabilize the middle of the field, but this mob should get the job done.
    Will be interesting to see how TL goes and if he can get some easy meters up the middle against tiring defences. We run out of dummy half less than any other team so I wonder if our attack will change at all, could be another threat.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  11. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

I agree about the lightness on props on the bench. Interesting to hear that Friend will be phased out for TL - if TL can play 80 minutes, we're going to have an excellent, excellent spine.

Ngani back next week, right? When's Sam Rapira back?

If I was picking the team:

1. Sam Tomkins
    2. David Fusitua
    3. Ben Henry
    4. Konrad Hurrell
    5. Manu Vatuvei
    6. Chad Townsend
    7. Shaun Johnson
    8. Suaia Matagi
    9. Nathan Friend
    10. Jacob Lillyman
    11. Jayson Bukuya
    12. Ben Matulino
    13. Simon Mannering

14. Thomas Leuluai
    15. Sebastine Ikahihifo
    16. Feleti Mateo
    17. Sam Lousi / Sione Lousi / Charlie Gubb

• List
  12. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

I'm liking Matagi and Bull starting. Those two punching holes up the middle in the opening exchanges. Then Mutts and Mateo on to spread em open eagle styles through the half way mark. And after that, Matagi and Bull to smash em over at the death. That's the guts right there.

• List
  13. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Agree. Your starting team will be closer to the mark but Ben Henry will take the last bench spot.

Yes Ngani Laumape should slot in next week. As for Sam Rapira Im told he should be good for next week...

• List
  14. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

With Nielsen starting centre?

I love Cappy, don't get me wrong, but I do struggle to see the reasoning behind playing Nielsen... sure, he might make his tackles, but making your tackles is only one half of the game - you need to provide at least something on attack. Nielsen just provides nothing, and sometimes, even worse than nothing on attack. Benry can tackle at least as well as Nielsen (I'd argue better), and offers infinitely more on attack. Just don't really get it. Not only that, but bringing Benry into the starting side gives you the option of bringing more size on the bench - win/win.

:confused:

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  15. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

Nielson is a grafter in a team full of offensive weapons. How many internationals have we got on the squad? Not to mention one origin prop.

I think sore thumb is an apt description of his point of difference. And asking him to fit in will probably wreck his confidence and his form. But Cappy hasn't let us down so far..............

In Cappy we trust!?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  16. sydneywarrior92
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

sydneywarrior92 1st Grade Fringe

Sam Lousi must be in the side as he is the only legitimate giant we have in our team. He is 198 cm and 118kg, thats T Rex equivalent! I don't care who you omit, he has to be there for us to match the physicality of the big sides who'll have multiple 120 kg giants

17. adalu239
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2013

adalu239 1st Grade Fringe

With the starting pack picking itself, with matagi friend Lillyman bukuya Matulino Mannering, and a bench of Leuluai henry mateo ikahihifo, all playing outstanding with mateo returning to the form of old, henry a must, and ikahihifo playing the season of his life...where in the heck does rapira fit in? surely he's a must! I look down that entire forward pack, and theres literally noone i can leave out..? good position to be in, although its going to be extremely hard on one player..this has to be one of our best years in terms of injuries, no long term injuries bar Leuluai an of course he slots straight back in when available.. so who's out next week? (apart from Nielson of course)

• List
  18. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

i really don't see how changing the side can be justified right now. Great dilemma.

• List
  19. sydneywarrior92
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

sydneywarrior92 1st Grade Fringe

win or lose, this is Dane's last game for the Warriors. :)

• List
  20. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Suaia Matagi???

• List

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.