Team List NRL 2014 - Round 23 vs Knights Team List and Pre Match Discussion

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by tajhay, Aug 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Vodafone Warriors head coach Andrew McFadden has made several line-up changes for Sunday’s 23rd-round NRL encounter with the Knights at Hunter Stadium in Newcastle (2.00pm kick-off local time; 4.00pm NZT).

As foreshadowed experienced halfback Shaun Johnson returns for his 80th NRL appearance after missing the last three matches with a groin injury.

Two other backline changes were forced with Dane Nielsen (concussion) and Tuimoala Lolohea (hamstring) both ruled out this week. They left the field in last Sunday’s 16-12 win over Cronulla, a result which has pushed the Vodafone Warriors up to sixth on the ladder with four rounds left in the regular season.

With first-choice centre Konrad Hurrell still unavailable with a hamstring strain, McFadden has brought valuable utility Ben Henry into the starting line-up while rookie David Fusitua returns on the right wing for his 12th appearance; he has been out with a groin injury since the 22-28 loss to Brisbane on July 19.

There are also four changes to the starting forward pack.

The most notable sees Thomas Leuluai named to start at hooker for the first time in what will be his ninth game this season and his fifth since returning from a three-month lay-off with his groin problem. Nathan Friend goes to the bench.

Returning in the second row is Jayson Bukuya, who was 18th man against the Sharks last week, with Ben Matulino his starting second row partner. Captain Simon Mannering switches to loose forward. Friend is joined on an extended interchange by Feleti Mateo, Sam Rapira, Sione Lousi, Sebastine Ikahihifo and Dominique Peyroux.

“Shaun was close to being right last week. We could have played him but didn’t want to risk it,” said McFadden.

“It’s great to have him back. He’s obviously important to our team.

“With Konrad and Dane both out, Ben (Henry) is a natural choice in the centres and David (Fusitua) has another chance after missing a few games.

“We’ve made some other changes as well in a bid to lift our performance. It wasn’t at the level we expect of ourselves against Cronulla. That effort was really disappointing but at least we came away from it with the two points.”

In Newcastle, the Vodafone Warriors face another side sitting well down the table in 14th place on 18 points after what has been a challenging season for the club.

Despite that the Knights have had two outstanding victories in their last two homes games beating the defending premiers the Sydney Roosters 16-12 and last week coming back from the clouds with two tries in the last two minutes to beat the formidable Melbourne Storm 32-30; that win came on the back of a 10-50 loss to South Sydney the previous week.

The Vodafone Warriors have an impressive record against the Knights having won seven of the last eight clashes between the two sides and 13 of 17 stretching back to 2005. They’ve also won five of the last seven encounters at Hunter Stadium but this is their first trip to Newcastle since 2011.

The teams met in the first match back at Mount Smart Stadium on June 1 when the Vodafone Warriors marked Mannering’s 200th appearance and his 100th as captain with a 38-18 win.

Matulino plays his 149th NRL match on Sunday leaving him in line to play his 150th game when the Vodafone Warriors host the Sydney Roosters on August 24.

Vodafone Warriors v NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS

Hunter Stadium, Newcastle

4.00pm, Sunday, August 17

Vodafone Warriors

1 Sam Tomkins
    2 David Fusitua
    3 Ngani Laumape
    4 Ben Henry
    5 Manu Vatuvei
    6 Chad Townsend
    7 Shaun Johnson
    8 Jacob Lillyman
    9 Thomas Leuluai
    10 Suaia Matagi
    11 Ben Matulino
    12 Jayson Bukuya
    13 Simon Mannering (c)

Interchange:
    14 Feleti Mateo
    15 Sam Rapira
    16 Sione Lousi
    17 Nathan Friend

18 Sebastine Ikahihifo
    21 Dominique Peyroux

HEAD COACH: Andrew McFadden

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List

2. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

So happy with this team!!!

1) Mannering at lock
    2) Matulino in the second row
    3) Henry has not let us down at centre yet
    4) Tommy getting the gig as hooker. Friend to provide 'impact' off the bench i guess.
    5) Good to see the forgotten recruit Peyroux in the mix as well.
    6) Glad Sebby gets a bit of a break.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 18
    • List
  3. ryno
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

ryno 1st Grade Fringe

Awesome team.

Looking forward to watching TL at hooker. Glad Johnson is back and great to see Mannering at 13.

4. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Just heard from "within the camp", Dom is cover for Henry whose knee is still causing some concern.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  5. Crisp Apple
    Join:
    May 20, 2012

Crisp Apple Waterboy

Love it, excited to see Benny back playing a little wider. Assume Lousi will move play as a prop off the bench rather than 2nd row as he has been in the last few weeks..

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Apus
    Join:
    Sep 6, 2012

Apus 1st Grade Fringe

Not one complaint with that side. Bring on the Knights!

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  7. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

MacDaddy! Real interested to see that team run out, hope he isn't teasing us and does not start friend or put Mannering back to the edge on game day.

Right time to see how TL goes as hooker...

8. jsmooove
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

jsmooove 1st Grade Fringe

legit happy with this team. happy with Benry and manu together.

side note - got an email from William from warriors membership offering me free tickets to the game. Took them up and will be up there at the game..... really happy and surprised about this. solid work from warriors

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List

9. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

GREAT GREAT TEAM.

Onya Cappy. I'm not saying he's listening to me... but hey.... pretty much exactly what I wanted. (Only thing I wanted, was if Konnie was fit, for him to start and Benry back to the bench as utility, in place of Friend.)

This team should be far too strong for Newcastle.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  10. Akkerz
    Join:
    Jun 22, 2012

Akkerz 1st Grade Fringe

This team looks so good and not a grub amongst them. No room for a "hopefully" this week.either. It should be a "yeah definitely, we're going to take this game".

11. Hitman82
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Hitman82 1st Grade Fringe

Sensible team. I actually like the idea of Lousi getting another shot in the propping rotation and while I am not the biggest Bukuya fan, I think if he's rested and fresh he may bring some much-needed energy to the forward pack. Looks like McFadden feels the same way as many posters in regard to Ikahihifo being a bit burnt out.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  12. ToiletDuck
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

ToiletDuck Dr Faggot Contributor

Great side, Cappy looks like he's been able to run out with his preferred line-up for the first time in a while. TL back to hooker which was the plan prior to SJ's injury, Simon back to lock where he was prior to Matulino's injury.

The only concern is that bench, Lousi and Felatio will be coming on at the same time....

And as others have asked, is Sam Rapira fit? 4 runs last week in 20-odd minutes...I'm sure we could play Sebby at prop and he'd do better than that.

• List
  13. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Great team. How the hell we going to fit them all in when Konnie comes back, Seb is well rested, Hoffman joins us next year and Fish returns? Not a bad position to be in.

14. OMG
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

OMG Warriors 1st Grader

Fantastic team, stoked as :D:D:D

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  15. wallacenz
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

wallacenz Warriors 1st Grader

TL with a chance to show his wares at hooker and Friend on the bench just in case. This is a nice team, wish Hurrell had been available to complete it.

If TL stands up and goes well I wonder if they will consider making Friend 18th man when Hurrell is available and benching Henry. That may be a finals team. Friend has taken us this far though, it could also be a disaster if we get off to a poor start.

• List
  16. mcdenda
    Join:
    Mar 19, 2014

mcdenda Warriors Bench Player

is that groin ready to go then?

17. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

This team has massive potential, add konnie and i would bar up.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Ever Hopeful
    Join:
    Feb 24, 2013

Ever Hopeful 1st Grade Fringe Contributor

Great to see Seb have a rest. He missed a couple of crucial tackles in the weekend and may have continued to do so without a rest. He has been brilliant this season, we need to have him fresh for the end of the season, he'll be more tired than most I'd imagine.

The Knights have welcomed back Mullen and Scott plus have Gidley back in his real position. They will be very strong. I actually think we are almost underdogs for this one. The Knights have played well most of the time this season and lost a lot of games where they have been in the contest. Their 1-13 is very good, bench is not as good

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  19. motu1
    Join:
    May 20, 2012

motu1 1st Grade Fringe

it says on nrl.com that the game is on at 5 am wtf
    does anyone know what time it's on

20. Fazz
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Fazz 1st Grade Fringe

A strong team, even with Hurrell out. The only thing I'm worried about it the whispers about Benry's knee. I'd almost say we have to put Dom in the team if Benry's knee is a real concern. The Knights don't have an insane pack, so i think we can manage with Peyroux on the bench over Lousi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.