General Discussion NRL 2015 - Rnd 13 - Rabbitohs v Warriors Gameday Chatter

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by mt.wellington, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Warriors 13+

2. Warriors 12-

3. Warriors Janfin Special 6

4. DRAW

5. Rabbitohs 12-

6. Rabbioths 13+

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

NRL 2015 - Rnd 13 - Rabbitohs vs Warriors, Nib Stadium, Perth.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Warriors once again travel some 5,300 odd kilometres on the longest road trip of the whole competition to face the Rabbitohs in Perth. At least this time we wont have the game finish at 1:30am NZ time.

Warriors head into this game missing a few key players in Thomas Leuluai who is out for the season with a ruptured ACL and Konrad Hurrell who has one game left to serve on his suspension. Also there is a little doubt are Sam Tomkins and Manu Vatuvei who arent 100%.

Rabbitohs are missing Adam Reynolds and Glenn Stewart but remain unchanged from the side that beat the Titans last week.

We have come agonisingly close on previous occasions only to fall short. The last two encounters in Perth have been really tough bruising affairs that has left both teams with injuries. The last game saw the Rabbitohs with a two man bench.

Expect another huge battle up front as both teams look to dominate the ruck area. If history is anything to go by you can also expect that same physical battle out wide where we saw a few players go down last year.

Perth is hopefully another hoodoo Cappy will deal with. Time feels right and no doubt the large Kiwi population of Perth will be out in force to support the boys.

LETS GONE WARRIORS!!!

Nib Stadium, Perth
    3:30pm WST local time
    5:30pm EST
    7:30pm NZST

Rabbitohs
    1 Greg Inglis (c)
    2 Alex Johnston
    3 Dylan Walker
    4 Bryson Goodwin
    5 Aaron Gray
    6 John Sutton
    7 Luke Keary
    8 Thomas Burgess
    9 Issac Luke
    10 Dave Tyrrell
    11 Nathan Brown
    12 Chris McQueen
    13 Jason Clark

14 Cameron McInnes
    15 Chris Grevsmuhl
    16 Tim Grant
    17 George Burgess

18 Ben Lowe
    19 John Olive

Coach: Michael Maguire

Warriors
    1 Sam Tomkins
    2 Jonathan Wright
    3 Tuimoala Lolohea
    4 Solomone Kata
    5 Manu Vatuvei
    6 Chad Townsend
    7 Shaun Johnson
    8 Jacob Lillyman
    9 Nathan Friend
    10 Ben Matulino
    11 Bodene Thompson
    12 Ryan Hoffman
    13 Simon Mannering (c)

14 Siliva Havili
    15 Sebastine Ikahihifo
    16 Sam Lisone
    17 Albert Vete

18 Dominique Peyroux
    21 Ken Maumalo

Coach: Andrew McFadden

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015

2. Afakasi247
    Join:
    Mar 5, 2014

Afakasi247 1st Grade Fringe

I read on Facebook someone who had been to the open training in Perth.

Apparently ST didn't finish the run, ended up on the sidelines with ice on his knee. Tui shifted to FB, Wright to Center and Maumalo wing during his absence.

Maybe we see Ikahihifo drop off the bench for Maumalo or Peyroux as a contingency for Tomkins, if he does suit up?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Freddie Futler
    Join:
    Jun 10, 2013

Freddie Futler 1st Grade Fringe

Ouch, I voted before I read this. The difference in the backs was noticeable last week, The Pom brings confidence to the team and they all respond. It was plain to see last week that he injured his knee early on but kept playing.
    Our chances of winning decrease when he is not there but I,m still backing the boys.

• List
  4. Horriors2014
    Join:
    Mar 16, 2014

Horriors2014 1st Grade Fringe

I voted Rabbitohs before reading. Would be a huge show of character to win this one. What I don't get is that we have to travel the longest distance in all the draw in the biggest timezone difference ever, just to help another Aussie team enter the comp instead of another NZ team. That's fucked up.

Not like the Warriors can play Perth over there 26 rounds a year is it? So why not every other team share the burden? Talk about loaded dice.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  5. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

Not sure about this one... Head says no but heart says yes:confused:

6. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

It's a Rabbitos home game isn't it?

• List
  7. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Forecast for 21 degrees, overcast with light showers and 74% humidity...

The weather shouldn't give either team an advantage...

8. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

facefacts 1st Grade Fringe

Massive loss not only for this game but looking ahead, Tomkins knee obviously isn't close to 100%, but they seem keen to throw him back in the side as soon as he can get through a training session, which isn't too smart as he cant recover properly...that said, we cant go anywhere in this comp without a class fullback like Tomkins, and Lolohea, as fun as his sidestep is to watch, isn't up to it, he's a utility trying to cover fullback.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List

9. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

With Hurrell's imminent return, could this the last time The People's Champ - Jono Wright puts on the Warriors jersey ?

Go out with a bang you good thing.

• List
  10. Horriors2014
    Join:
    Mar 16, 2014

Probably. But why do they choose us every time? Cos heaps of kiwis in the mines right? Well when they enter the comp they have to play every team. Not just us. If the only profitable game for them is Warriors v Perth then they aren't a good option are they?

So unfair. That game the Bunnies probably pencil in as a win every year now.

11. Horriors2014
    Join:
    Mar 16, 2014

Lol. You're full of it. I'd put Lolohea's defensive efforts at Fb against Tomkins any day. Rewatch some games FF.

Tomkins can hardly keep his feet. The ball is like soap in his hands. He does chime into the backline well. Has a good pass. But I hardly think Lolohea is not up to it. Saying he is a utility doesn't make his performances any less potent. Maybe he doesn't play with the same amount of experience as Tomkins but he definitely is 'up to standard'. Else Cappy would have played Abbey or Fusitua there when he had the chance.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  12. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

I like our chances here.
    Our starting pack looks a lot stronger than theirs. The key is going to be nullifying the impact of George burgess, grevsmuhl and grant when they come on- their bench looks very powerful. If we can match them there we should get the chocolates.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. The Stache
    Join:
    Nov 14, 2014

The Stache NSW Cup Player

In saying that though do the Warriors really want another NZ Team picking up local talent and competing heavily with the warriors financially. It grows the marketing of the Warriors over in Perth where a lot of ex pats live. You don't hear the coaching staff complaining as much as just using it as an excuse of it being "hard"

• List
  14. stacky18
    Join:
    Aug 14, 2013

stacky18 1st Grade Fringe

The Tomkins ice will just be precautionary. He's injured and playing hurt like 90% of NRL players. He's not bad enough surgery so he just powers through. If he can't play then Tui goes to fullback and Maumalolo goes to wing. No change needed for the bench. It's not really a big deal or a game breaker.
    Our edge D is crap no matter who plays so it doesn't make a big difference to be honest. Wrights horrible read on Sims last week and our left edges static D to let Knights in last week is evidence of that.
    Playing for 80 and holding the middle is the game breaker today.
    Both teams will score on the edges fairly easily today, we just have to play the full 80. Something we have never done in 7 visits to Perth.

15. Richie
    Join:
    Jul 28, 2012

Richie 1st Grade Fringe

Do I hope we win. Of course. Do I think we can win. Of course. Do I think we will win. Unfortunately, not, but I bloody hope I'm wrong. To beat the Bunnies, we'll need an 80 minute quality performance, which we haven't show in quite some time despite our last 3/3 record. What with the road trip, not having won in Perth before, immediate player futures secured and our decent position on the table, there just seem too many reasons (i.e. excuses) for the team not to give that 80min performance this week. Fuck I hope I'm wrong, as we need a really strong performance against a fancied team.

If we do get beaten, I'm not sure if I want it to be by a little or a lot. A small loss (clearly better for our ptsdiff) might only contribute to the team's seeming lack of focus (i.e. "we were right in that game and won our previous three, we're going fine", etc., etc.), while a big loss could act to focus and harden convictions, bringing home the reality (as things stand now) that we're not in the same league as the premiership contenders. Asking for a hiding may seem counter-intuitive to having a successful year, but we're going to need to lift big-time to make this year one to remember.

If people think I'm being too pessimistic or down on the boys, remember that after this week, we'll be half way through the season. We've got 6 wins now, and have haven't played many contenders (3 games, 3 losses). We got 12 wins last year, with an eventual +80 ptsdiff and missed the finals. The back half of the year is going to be tough. With the comp and table being as close as they are this year, it's only going to be harder to make the eight in 2015 (which I judge to be our minimum 'successful year' threshold). That means we're probably going to need to win at least 7 of our last 13 games (30pts), playing higher ranked teams 6 times, to grab a spot in the eight (taking into account our last bye). Even with 30pts, we might need a decent ptsdiff to seal the deal. Of course, once we make the eight, all bets are off, because as we know from 2011, we can make that charge.

The long and short of it... scrapping in for wins against lower ranked teams we're expected to beat won't be enough this year. The team either lifts now and beats a tittle hope, or gets thrashed, takes it on the chin, wakes up, and comes out firing for a brutal run to the finals. I'd prefer the former, but I'll take the latter.

• List
  16. ryno
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

ryno 1st Grade Fringe

We have had a couple of gritty wins away that we would have easily lost in the past so I am hopeful of a result in our favour.

Parity in the forwards, limit Luke around the ruck, complete our sets and better 5th tackle options will be the key.

Warriors 22 - Souths 18
    MOM: Johnson
    FTS: Kata

• List
  17. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

NSWarriors roller coaster continues...

18. davewjnz
    Join:
    Mar 10, 2013

davewjnz 1st Grade Fringe

You sound nervous bro!

Last year we were virtually in the same position on a 2 game win streak on 12 points leading into this game.
    Like the year before we were outlasted by the Bunnies.
    Sure we lost but we went on a 4 game win streak and everyone started talking us up and fans started talking about top 4.
    Well we know how 2014 ended.
    After 2 Perth losses to these guys I hope its 3rd time lucky and I don't think we are any worse off then we were last year personnel wise.
    I think if we had a fit Konnie in the mix we would be less skeptical.
    They are Reynold-less, Surgess-less with a wounded Inglis at the back and our forward pack will be tested.
    We've been operating on a pretty good forward pack waiting for our backs to get their shit together.
    I hope tonight they click and our rookies show us how much they have grown.
    Win this we go on to play a SOO depleted Roosters team next week at home.
    Winning this may even see Konnie in NSW Cup next week to get up to speed instead of being rushed back.

Warriors by an ugly 4 points will do me!

• List
  19. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

Things getting ugly for the NSWarriors..

20. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

Great post.

Last two times we have led the Bunnies and looked to be the dominate team but fallen short in the last 10 minutes. Bunnies know how to play for the full 80. They have won a few this season by just hanging in there.

On a positive note our last three wins have shown we can play a bit longer these days. Some victories havent been pretty at all but we have hung in there and come away with a result.

Good, bad or ugly or even controversial. I'll be happy with any sort of win...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.