General Discussion Nrl Multimedia And News Not Deserving Of It's Own Thread!

Discussion in 'NRL Discussion' started by Lego_Man, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

Jay M Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

first one to throw a punch can be charged with assault. the other one would be able to claim self-defence I'd think.

2. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

So Penrith have a flash new gym. But are they going to invest in those flash glove things we had.;) Jim Doyle is probably reading the article below now thinking he can call Phil Gould and offer him a deal for some of the odd sports science things we have ditched; "and to sweeten the deal if you want to feel important Mr Gould we can get your logo planted on them".:D

Gould has to have a go at the NRL for everything. If the gym was funded by the NRL and had the NRL logos planted all over it I bet it would be for youngsters to train at and on the wait out they'll get Panthers scholarships or he'll throw a hissy fit it if a poorer club like the Sharks or Tigers wanted to do some sessions there.

Doesn't the NRL provide the clubs funding for items such as this?
    I remember reading articles that Souths did up their changing sheds at ANZ Stadium whereas the Bulldogs invested in their training facilities as that was where they spent most of their time. There were other articles about the NRL providing funding for various projects the clubs wanted funding for.

Penrith Panthers executive general manager Phil Gould criticises NRL over lack of academy funding
    Date
    March 30, 2016 - 8:17PM
    • 8 reading now
    • Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. to view.
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Sports reporter

It is a $22 million state-of-the-art facility that has catapulted rugby league into a new and somewhat unfamiliar age - even wooing Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull for its unveiling - but Penrith's executive general manager Phil Gould still can't fathom how the NRL hadn't contributed a cent.

Gleefully taking guided tours through the sparkling new facility that the Panthers will call home having been five years in planning, Gould has upped the ante on League Central to "invest in the west" as his vision for Penrith to be an Australian sporting powerhouse came a little closer to fruition.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Best in the west, east, north and south: Phil Gould in the Penrith academy on Wednesday.

The project was fully funded by the Panthers Group - Gould spoke to the Australian Rugby League Commission about financially assisting the project before an 11th hour hiccup - and attracted a throng of media as Turnbull and Federal MP for Lindsay Fiona Scott breezed through the facility.

"What the NRL needs to understand is that western Sydney is vitally important to them," Gould said. "The game is not just flourishing because Brisbane and Melbourne are doing well.

"Western Sydney people will understand the NRL are fair dinkum about them a lot more when they actually invest in the west. And that's what we want them to do.

"This facility should have an NRL brand on it. It should be part of the western Sydney game development. The NRL should have a big presence out here in western Sydney and not just in the eastern suburbs.

"I want to resurrect that assistance and help the NRL grow its presence out here and make sure the people of western Sydney feel like the NRL cares about them."

An NRL spokesman said CEO Todd Greenberg and two other senior officials had toured the Panthers centre of excellence with Gould yesterday.

The spokesman said the NRL was now looking at how it could become involved in the project.

He said the NRL had agreed several years ago to provide a loan to help fund the centre which would be paid off over 10 years if the Panthers signed an agreement to be part of the NRL competition during that period.

However, the Panthers had declined the proposal and had sought alternative funding sources.

Gould only has to look down the road to see the war chest the AFL has used to prop up the Greater Western Sydney Giants. Or the footprint the Western Sydney Wanderers now have in the community. They, he says, are Penrith's real competition.

"Penrith, in its shape it was five years ago, was defenceless [against the emergence of those sports]," Gould said. "Defenceless.

"We have now been able to establish rugby league as the heartland game out here. There are nine franchises in Sydney - eight of them from Parramatta to Bondi. And there's only one between Parramatta and Perth. And that's us.

"We're the new west and this is the biggest growing area in the country. We want the Panthers to be at the forefront of the community and sporting programs and we're hoping this facility puts us right back in the game."

Complete with two full-size training fields, two gymnasiums where each individual weight has been manufactured with the Panthers logo on it, hot and cold plunge pools and a 61-seat auditorium, the academy has been dubbed the "best facility of any NRL club".

Even the training field's light towers have high-definition cameras fitted in them to beam real-time pictures back to high-performance staff in adjacent offices.

Perhaps it is a reason why recruits such as Trent Merrin and Peta Hiku signed on last year, when it was "just a sketch on a piece of paper or a building site".

"We know we've got the best facilities going around now," Panthers skipper Matt Moylan said. "There has been no expense spared. We haven't got an excuse for not wanting to train or train hard with a facility like this."

But Gould's motto is simple: "You don't work or don't study you don't play." It is drummed into every young player in the club, the ones that have carried them to two National Youth Competition titles in the last three years.

Almost important as the standard gymnasium pick-me-up: "Train Hard. Play Hard. Never Give Up."

3. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

The link below has a video of the Panthers new centre.

Also a gallery.

I have to admit it is a nice facility.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

I'm assuming it wasn't put on report. Didn't appear to be a head high tackle.

5. Freddie Futler
    Join:
    Jun 10, 2013

Freddie Futler 1st Grade Fringe

Eleven stitches? must be quite a bit of manhood to require that many stitches.

On a cold day they would be lucky to find mine. :rolleyes:

6. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Ballin out for the season with a knee injury

7. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Matai out for the season with a shoulder injury

8. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

A bit of a shame as the last year or two he didn't seem to come out of tackles holding his shoulder or neck as much as he used to.

He was also in pretty good form the last few years. A lot less discipline issues as well.

9. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

Robbie Farrah speaks out....I find it ironic that he ends by saying he won't be saying anything against the coach because he's smarter than that...yet he starts by criticising the coach!!

Do you think he might click that he has had the same issue with the last 3 coaches at the club?? Common denominator is??

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  10. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

He makes a few good arguments in terms of the results in his last few games for the Tigers. Taylor could argue that his decision is about the entire season.

There was a lot of talk about their relationship being ironed out but Taylor as the coach would be looking at the $950k he is chewing up on their salary cap.

He is on the other sides of the power play this time. Might be time to look in the mirror. He also got defensive with Matty Johns ambushing him about the Tigers being crap years ago.

Saw an article about him being linked to the Knights but the Knights have Potter as their assistant.

11. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Not just Taylor!!! To be fair to him that salary was backended to keep him. He is entitled to it.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  12. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

It's a good interview and this part I found most interesting. I believe it was this time last year the NRL and Google were having discussions about providing/streaming their own content via Youtube, something the NFL are already dabbling with in various ways

• List
  13. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

Bye bye SKY if that ever happened...

• List
  14. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

I cut that cord long ago, after the 2008 WC to be exact. Been living shitty streams ever since but god I love my Warriors.

• List
  15. Matulino#1
    Join:
    May 10, 2012

Matulino#1 1st Grade Fringe

You can purchase an NRL Digital Pass from NRL.com for about $85 per year.

Every NRL Game, Origin, Test Match, Highlights, Interviews, Panel Shows - I've found it to be a great investment

• List
  16. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

I was under the impression that was geo-blocked and doesn't work in NZ regardless of VPN, how are you set up?

• List
  17. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

Gold Coast Titans star Jarryd Hayne fined by teammates for attitude to training
    • Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Previous coaches and players haven't been prepared to pull him up about his attitude, but senior Titans players made a statement about the club's culture in an attempt to keep the "Plane" grounded.

"The players have a leadership group and they impose their own standards," a source said.

Hayne was the skipper at the Eels before switching to the San Francisco 49ers, but the Gold Coast brains trust overlooked him for the role in favour of Kevin Proctor and Ryan James leading the club's 2017 campaign.

Hayne has an option in his favour for 2018 in his Titans deal but has indicated he will consider all alternative sporting avenues.

Titans break may be over for Peats

Could Nathan Peats be making his way back to Parramatta?

Peats was the sacrificial lamb when the Eels needed to squeeze a player out during last season's salary cap debacle, but a comeback to the blue and golds could be on the cards. The Titans hooker is off contract at the end of the year and we hear he and his management are open to an Eels return.

It appeared that bridge had been burnt when Peats' father, former NRL player Geordi, unloaded on the "five f---wits on the board who can't add up" during the salary cap crisis.

The Titans fear Peats could return to the Eels, but remain in the box seat for his signature.

Rabbits watching Foran closely

We keep hearing South Sydney are taking a great deal of interest in the comeback of Kieran Foran. The Rabbitohs had a crack at Foran when he left Parramatta, but the Warriors ultimately jagged his signature.

Souths lost Luke Keary to arch-rivals the Roosters in the off-season and are on the lookout for a marquee playmaker to partner Adam Reynolds in the halves.

Having invested so much time in his recovery, the Warriors will want Foran to remain long-term. However, the opportunity to be closer to his young family may tempt the former Kiwi international back to Sydney.

Andrew Johns spent plenty of time working with Foran while a halves coach at Manly. The eighth Immortal believes the premiership-winning playmaker could return to his best in a spine containing Shaun Johnson, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Issac Luke.

"I think that combination of Kieran and Shaun Johnson could be anything," Johns said. "If they get everything right, the Warriors, with them two working together, it's pretty exciting.

"He [Foran] went through an awful time [last year]. I think the best thing for Kieran, for his recovery, is to play and be around his teammates. I look forward to him coming back in round three. I don't know why it's not round one, I don't know what's going to happen in two weeks. I'm just glad he knows and he's back playing."

Gate takings on the up

Which NRL superstar almost ended up in serious strife after ripping the gate off a fence at a house party?

There are growing concerns about how his off-field behaviour could derail his club's premiership campaign.

Oates set to re-sign

Queensland Origin star Corey Oates is close to coming to terms with Brisbane on a contract extension. Several clubs were keen on Oates but the three-quarter is expected to stay put.

Lussick to share the glove

Manly forward Darcy Lussick is likely to be the latest footballer to lace up the boxing gloves in the next edition of the Ladbrokes Star of the Ring charity fight night. Last year's event was the highest-rating boxing bout in Fox Sports history and a number of NRL stars are keen to take part this year.

Lussick, who doesn't pull any punches when the Sea Eagles boys do boxing training, has expressed an interest in becoming involved.

Segeyaro knows the rules

James Segeyaro hasn't been idle while trying to sort out his rugby league future. The former Panther, whose career is in limbo as the result of a contract dispute with English club Leeds, has launched clothing label YKTR, which stands for You Know The Rules.

Segeyaro has embarked on the venture with fellow NRL stars Corey Norman and Isaac John while trying to sort out a transfer to Cronulla.

Star gazing

Which NRL star has been fraternising with his club's cheerleaders? There will be massive drama on the home front if this one gets out.

A Friend in society

Jake Friend will have plenty of hands-on experience to call on after embarking on a business venture during the off-season.

Friend is running a cafe, High St Society, which has been popular with league types since its opening in Randwick. The Roosters skipper knows plenty about the industry after working as a sandwich hand at Cafe Foveaux during his NRL suspension in 2009.

Des joins call centre

Des Hasler recently hit the phones to urge Canterbury members who haven't renewed for 2017 to do so.

We hear Hasler had a remarkably high conversion rate, with few supporters daring to tell the two-time premiership-winning coach that they had given up on the club.

18. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

after all the comments about BLockhead Roache i thought this was timely

Ever notice our best broadcasters never played the game – and vice-versa?

Do sport broadcasters actually care about our viewing experience? Or are they content just to set up cushy gigs for the boys?

It can be hard to gauge the popularity of pundits. First and foremost, as an audience, we’re fans of sport – we’ll watch the product regardless of who’s talking over it. Thus, viewing figures are not a reliable metric.

On face value, it makes sense to funnel some of the game’s icons into the commentary box, as they’ve got sufficient cultural capital and fan recognition in the bank. But to hire solely on the basis of on-field CVs is absurd.

Late comedian Mitch Hedberg had an apt routine:

“When you’re in Hollywood and you’re a comedian, everybody wants you to do other things. Alright, you’re a stand-up comedian, can you write us a script? That’s not fair. That’s like if I worked hard to become a cook, and I’m a really good cook, they’d say, ‘OK, you’re a cook. Can you farm?'”

And so it goes with sport punditry. Show me a highlights package of Andrew Johns or Wally Lewis any day, but I can do without their musings on most things. Darren Lockyer, meanwhile, sounds like he’s gargling gravel.

The responsibility of broadcasters is to make it worth staying home to watch the games we love. Yes, sport should be entertaining, but note that’s not synonymous with stupidity. If your biggest contribution is to the blooper reel, you’ve got a problem.

Across the board, insight has given way to backslapping and guffawing. The NRL is by no means the only offender. Nine’s bloated cricket collective is much maligned, serving up the same reheated banter each summer. Shane Warne is a longstanding farce, Ian Healy, Michael Slater and Mark Taylor manage to flounder despite their experience, and Michael Clarke still finds charisma elusive.

Elsewhere, Fox’s rugby team is blinkered by bias and hyperbole. Greg Martin’s criteria for Wallabies selection appears to be whomever he last saw break a tackle or win a turnover. Phil Kearns is stale.

The point is that you don’t become a sage by virtue of having played the game at the top level. In many cases, the opposite is true. What good is knowing how it feels to take the first hit-up in Origin if you lack the ability to articulate it?

There are so few Richie Benauds in the world ‒ those who can master the game and the microphone with such poise and longevity. I’m not saying you have to be Stephen Fry to warrant a commentary gig, but moving away from the lowest common denominator can’t hurt. We need light and shade in a broadcast ‒ a balance of the emotional and the cerebral. Not three blokes in a pub.

If the USP of the ex-pro is to know the game inside out, then are they really delivering on that promise? More often they can be found using their status to act extra matey in post-game interviews.

Maybe years of vanilla press conferences and simple mantras is enough to drain the character from most players. Maybe it’s the simple fact that they’re not professional broadcasters or journalists ‒ those who can frame a question, contextualise analysis and, crucially, call bullshit.

Which begs the question: how many capable, trained professionals are being shoved down the queue while yesterday’s punch-drunk heroes provide Batman sound effects (‘Phwoarrrr’ etc.) on our screens?

At worst, sport broadcasting is trending wilfully towards anti-intellectualism. At best, banality. So, who are the best broadcasters out there at the moment? We’re talking temperament, insight, humour, passion, clarity and listenability.

Personally, I favour Ricky Ponting for the cricket, Simon Hill for football, and Peter Sterling for the league. I don’t watch enough AFL, but no one comes close to the recently retired Dennis Cometti. Meanwhile, the strongest presenters are Yvonne Sampson, Mel McLaughlin and Lucy Zelic by some distance.

For too long, sporting coverage has been crippled by poor recruitment. Nepotism and gender imbalances remain entrenched. For the sake of the fans, commentary boxes must become more hospitable to those equipped to add value, not just cachet.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  19. Brother Faisal
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Brother Faisal 1st Grade Fringe

Why is Wayne Bennetts opinion on every controversial rule need an article everyday? Everyday I see an article "Bennett believes on transfer window changes" "Bennett wants rule change" Bennett wants interchange rule fixed "Bennett wants more internationals" it's like he has to be interviewed everyday to see what he thinks about a current controversy. Bloody sick of it.

• List
  20. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

Cause he's the greatest mind in the game. Arguably ever. Beats hearing from Lowe...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List