Recruitment NRL Rumoured Player Movements, Re-signings and Rumour Mill 2017

Discussion in 'NRL Discussion' started by Wellington Warrior, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Tragic
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2016

Tragic 1st Grade Fringe

Well we seem to be collecting captains so moylan would fit in that sense.

2. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Michael Maguire has been let go by Souths.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

3. Aceh
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2016

Aceh U20's Player

Gotta love Mad Monday's eh? .........Hoffman will be livid when he hears that Fozz gave him the wrong address.....Lucky escape for SK!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  4. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

Proven winner in the NRL... I'd have him here.

Didn't he work along side Kearney at the Storm?

It would be amazing if he came here and demoted Kearney to assistant. We'd have the ultimate Russian doll situation of coaches here.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  5. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

In 2011 when everyone was going nuts about McClennan due to his record with the Kiwis and in Super League winning 2 titles I was telling everyone the Warriors would be better off with Maguire. He came through the NRL system and was touted as one of the best new coaches coming through and he took Wigan who hadn't been too great in the preceding years (at risk of relegation one year) and I believe he took them to a title.

If both Maguire and Hasler are on the market and neither are picked up by the Titans and say Souths don't pick up Hasler or Maguire to the Bulldogs there will be a lot of speculation next year. Remember all of the jobs Cleary was linked to now every team in a lean run could be linked to them due to having two premiership winning coaches sitting around without a job.

Correct. Before he went to Wigan, Maguire and Kearney were Bellamy's assistants. A lot of their success was put down to their great players (ok insert cap cheating joke here), their coach who had done a long apprenticeship under Bennett and his two assistants who were talked up as two coaches of the future. Obviously their records are totally different but that is a debate for another thread.

Maguire I saw talked about as being linked to Warrington and on NRL 360 they said since this happened early enough he could still apply for the Titans.

If he doesn't land anything having the link to their Storm days it could be worth asking if he'd come over as an assistant. Slim chances I know but at least from a management point of view it is more experience and someone to promote if needed. Kearney was reported as being happy with the 3 coach set up but surely like player recruitment you should always keep your options open.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Navigator
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Navigator 1st Grade Fringe

Sam Rapira to leave Huddersfield Giants at the end of the season
    Last Updated September 06 2017, 07:18 Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Sam Rapira (R) is leaving Huddersfield
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Huddersfield's former New Zealand international Sam Rapira is leaving the club at the end of the season to continue his career overseas.

The 30-year-old prop has been a virtual ever present since joining the Giants from New Zealand Warriors ahead of the 2016 season with 53 appearances so far.

Huddersfield managing director Richard Thewlis said: "Sam has been great to have at the club and leaves with our very best wishes for his future and thanks for his superb service to the claret and gold.

"He has an opportunity to continue playing which sounds a fantastic new adventure for him and his family and we sincerely hope that the move works out."

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  7. eric
    Join:
    May 27, 2015

eric 1st Grade Fringe

Crazy that he's only 30... come back sam!

• List
  8. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

"Continue his career overseas...."

You would think that would be with us..?

• List

9. Blain
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Blain 1st Grade Fringe

Sammy was great until the injuries caught up with him, in his middle 20s.. unfortunately he doesn't have the natural size to make it in the NRL again.

Probably France or even Toronto

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  10. eric
    Join:
    May 27, 2015

eric 1st Grade Fringe

France or Canada for sure I reckon.

His NRL career pretty much ended with that hit from R Campbell Gillard vs panthers 2015. Still really like him as a player though. Was great for us.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  11. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

There was a rumour awhile ago that we were talking with an ESL player and it wasn't a pom.

Or he could be another addition to Auntie Ivan's 20011 reunion tour.

12. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

I wouldn't mind bringing in Sam on a modest contract as depth. We could really do with some experience in the reserves.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  13. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Fixed that for you ;)

14. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

Assuming Beale and Blair are a done deal and Thompson and Vete have been re-signed these would be our player movements so far this season:

OUT > IN

Allwood >
    Clark > Cherrington
    Foran >
    Gubb > Pulu
    Hoffman > Harris
    Lillyman >
    Lolohea > Santo
    Matulino > Blair
    Ogden >
    Sipley >
    Thompson > Re-signed?
    Vatuvei/ Faraimo > Beale
    Vete >Re-signed?

* I tried to pair people up based on position and salary

So we still need a wing/center, a half, two props and a backrower. At this point I'd rather sign experience over potential. Players like Tagatese, Rapira, Myles, Taufua, Pritchard, McCrone, Edwards, Zillman etc. I think they'll bring more depth and competition for spots than promoting the young guys we have atm.

If we have to pay some of them overs so be it, we've got the cash to splash so might as well use it to shore up our depth.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  15. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Blair is more of a Lillyman replacement than a Matulino replacement. We don't have a direct Matulino replacement.

There will be promotions from within as well. I'm not 100% sure on this but I think CNK was on a second tier contract last year and this year but his new contract will be top squad so "technically" he would be Vatuvei's replacement with Beale being Allwood's (which is great for depth if that's the case). Unless Vatuvei's departure already bumped CNK into the top 25 this year.

Vete has re-signed.

Sipley's spot will get filled by Satae or his brother.

Ogden/Thompson = ???

As has been mentioned previously, JTS has an offer in front of him so he would add to our backline depth if he comes, and SK rates Nanai highly so if he does well in ISP it wouldn't shock me to see him fast tracked in ISP.

I think the biggest question marks are second row and halves, and it's possible that Afoa/Pulu are looked at as second row options next year if Thompson doesn't re-sign or if dreams do come true we end up flush with outside backs and Maumalo starts to transition inwards.

TLDR: Don't expect too many more signings to plug those holes we still have.

• List
  16. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

I would have thought Blair's 600k contract would be closer to what Matulino's on rather than what Lillyman's on. Was thinking Lillyman's on about 400k. Same with Beale, I'm thinking he'd be closer to Vatuvei money rather than Allwood money.

If we did get them for what you're suggesting it'd be an absolute bargain, should have heaps of money left over.

I've got Nanai pegged for a junior spot. I'm pretty sure clubs will have 6 spots for junior players all of which are counted under a separately allocated cap.

17. jonesy101
    Join:
    Aug 28, 2016

jonesy101 U20's Player

The halves situation for next year is a still real worry, so if nothing comes of the Blake Green rumor then I totally agree to see them make a play for Zillman or McCrone to cover a halves position on probably a 2 year contract. I think both would be more handy than Jeff Robson proved to be and have some utility value. Looks like McCrone may be currently looking at an offer from the Wolfpack though.
    If Johnson has another season disrupted by injury I still don't think we can risk a long stretch of a Hingano/Lino combination just yet. Give Hingano another year to develop. Nathan Cleary is an absolute exception to the rule when it comes to game management at that level at such a young age.

• List
  18. P-Unit
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

P-Unit 1st Grade Debut

Sam Raps not coming home, no that for a fact. Wish he would but can confirm he not coming to nz next year

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  19. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

Any idea where?

Feel for Raps. Was never the same after injuring his patella..

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  20. P-Unit
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

P-Unit 1st Grade Debut

Believe he going to France, then will likely move back to nz and hang up the boots

• List