Recruitment NRL Rumoured Player Movements, Re-signings and Rumour Mill 2017

Discussion in 'NRL Discussion' started by Wellington Warrior, Jan 10, 2017.

1. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

I was pretty excited when he signed here. I was hoping we'd get the Sam Rapira from the Cowboys who could add some sting to our defence.

I haven't seen anything of him since he moved.

2. eric
    Join:
    May 27, 2015

eric 1st Grade Fringe

Just read that Sam is going to Toulouse.

You're thinking of his brother, Steve I think ?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  3. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Hey they have been gone a while and they both start with S. Plus I'm getting older.:oops:

Haven't seen much of Steve since he left either.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. eric
    Join:
    May 27, 2015

eric 1st Grade Fringe

Steve was playing for Mackay Cutters for awhile but haven't seen much else either.

5. P-Unit
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

P-Unit 1st Grade Debut

Yeah Steve was at cowboys, went to warriors, then Salford. Then played for Mackay cutters for couple seasons. Still in Mackay but playing club footy for wests.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Sorry, I was comparing their place in the squad/style of player rather than paypacket. Wouldn't have a clue what they're on.

Blair > Lillyman - experienced aging prop

Beale/Allwood - Beale will be starting centre pushing one of our current centres to the back up role that Allwood had.

• List
  7. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

oh yep that makes sense. you're on the mark in that respect...

unfortunately though I can't see us finding someone to fill Matulino's shoes, even though he's been hot and cold these last few years imo he's still a top 5 prop on his day. we might be able to find a cheapish prop who's around mid-level but I think all the real classy ones have been sewn up.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Agree, I can't see where a replacement is coming from. I think we'll end up with another prop (no idea who) but it's more likely to be a Vete/Sao level prop or an experienced journeyman rather than anything else.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List

9. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

Makes sense if we're in the market for a half as well.

10. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

so with the rumours now in the daily tele that Moylan will end up at the Tigers along with Josh Reynolds, Luke Brooks and Benji... what does that mean for old Tui?

Back to the wing?

he will be stoked

• Funny Funny x 16
    • List
  11. Mr Frank White
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Mr Frank White 1st Grade Fringe

Top 5?!? Maybe over a 3 game period 5 years ago.
    Has he regularly had 150+m games for us? Did he ever go over 200?
    Genuinely asking.

12. Mr Frank White
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Mr Frank White 1st Grade Fringe

Will have to drink himself in another hole, until someone else believes in him.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  13. Navigator
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Navigator 1st Grade Fringe

Todd Carney Super League: Salford Red Devils to axe star, Twitter spat, NRL speculation follow
    Staff writers, FOX SPORTS
    September 16, 2017 4:11pm
    TODD Carney will be released by Salford Red Devils, the Super League club has just confirmed - and it appears he’s not leaving happily.

Carney was only on a one-year deal with the club, owned by Marwan Koukash, which just had its playoffs hopes ended in a 44-2 defeat to Leeds Rhinos in the Super 8s. After the match, coach Ian Watson confirmed that the former NRL bad boy would not be re-signed.

Carney fired back at a tweet put out by the club announcing the news, with the playmaker claiming he never wanted to leave and his exit was part of cost cutbacks.

No I respected the team but the coach i never wanted to leave but the club asked me to leave to save money

— Todd Carney (@tcarney06) Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    LIVE stream the 2017 NRL Telstra Premiership Finals on FOX SPORTS. Get your free 2-week Foxtel Now trial and start watching in minutes. Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Carney’s release will add to rumours that he may make an NRL comeback. The 31-year-old was sacked by the Cronulla Sharks, his third NRL club, in 2014 and has since played three years in Super League with Catalans Dragons and Salford.

Carney, a former Dally M Medal winner, told Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. this week that he was desperate to finish his career in the NRL.

“I’ll trial for a contract - I’m ready to do whatever it takes,” he said. “I’ve been playing in England and France for the past few years but want to finish (my career) at home. My body is good and all I’m after is an opportunity.

“On grand final day, all the retiring players will be presented to the crowd. That sort of thing burns in my stomach - that is the sort of send off I am after.”

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    media_cameraTodd Carney, while playing Super League for Catalans Dragons.
    While Carney was a star during his NRL stint, playing Origin and Test football, he would likely be a role player if he made a comeback, according to current rep star Aaron Woods.

“There will always be better players than him at the club so I would love for him to be able to help the young guys coming through, give his experience to them,” Woods told NRL 360 recently, adding that any club keen to recruit Carney would first need to do careful research, given his lengthy history of off-field indiscretions.

“I would definitely have a chat with him. You would need to do your research behind him first but I would want to see where he is at. I would ask him why he wants to come to the club and what he can bring.”

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  14. jonesy101
    Join:
    Aug 28, 2016

jonesy101 1st Grade Fringe

No, please no. Don't even think about it. "Research" should only take 1 minute.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. leaguejunkie
    Join:
    Mar 20, 2016

leaguejunkie 1st Grade Fringe

A guy who pisses in his own mouth, whether intoxicated or otherwise, is a complete and utter dickhead and has serious issues. Hope he stays well clear of our club.

16. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

I think his papers are marked NTA. Seems to have a few issues. Guy had a lot of ability, but always seemed to find trouble

• List
  17. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

, he would likely be a role player if he made a comeback, according to current rep star Aaron Woods.

“There will always be better players than him at the club so I would love for him to be able to help the young guys coming through, give his experience to them,”

Seriously what is a role player?
    Who the fuck would want him to be anywhere near young talented players, that he could then destroy with bad advice on how to handle life?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  18. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

He didn't actually piss in his mouth. It was a stunt in the toilets that some tosser put onto the internet. Apparently the guy is usually well behaved and easy to deal with, except when on the booze, which especially in his early years was a lot of the time. We don't need any more halves anyway.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. leaguejunkie
    Join:
    Mar 20, 2016

leaguejunkie 1st Grade Fringe

He didn't? Looked pretty damn convincing if you ask me. Had me fooled for sure :confused:.

Stunt or not, I think we can agree it wasn't a good look him, Cronulla and the game in general.

I agree Carney had a lot of talent and ability and his Dally M awards show this. However I can't help but feel his off field antics has taken the shine away from his accolades.

20. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Hardyman's Yugo 1st Grade Fringe

I'll be careful what I say but I got some plausible information (second hand but reliable source) about the way Salford were trying to get rid of their academy players to reduce costs. Carneys comments about him being released as a cost cutting measure and Salfords performances in the latter half of the season (they've given up basically) all add up to an unhappy and badly run club

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List