General Discussion NZ Warriors to field team in new NRL women’s premiership

Discussion in 'Womens Rugby League' started by ramraider78, Mar 27, 2018.

1. ramraider78
    Join:
    Aug 24, 2012

ramraider78 1st Grade Fringe

Awesome news, reading this article - Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

I'm sure we can be competitive in this new competition, another pathway for players in NZ and to grow the game. Union will surely be feeling it now once this is up an running here. I'm rapt cause my Daughter (Who's better than her older brothers) has something to train/aim for.

2. razzrillinger
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2016

razzrillinger 1st Grade Fringe

If the Warriors team is full of Kiwi Ferns then it should absolutely carve

3. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

This has been a long time coming.

A women’s league can only be a good thing for the sport.

Can’t wait to see us carve up

4. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

Johnnyray 1st Grade Fringe

Woohoo ! This is such awesome news. I so hope they call themselves "NZ Wahines".

That or what's Maori for "Bitch, rip her fucking tits off and feed it to back them" ?!?

Ka werohia e te kuriki ona whee wahine ka whanga ki a raua. Yep, that will work ... ;)

5. Diesel
    Join:
    Nov 7, 2014

Diesel 1st Grade Fringe

George said..
    “The next steps will include assembling a squad and coaching staff, looking at sponsorship, a name for the team and much more.

What’s the female version of a warrior? I think it’s a warrior

6. Blain
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Blain 1st Grade Fringe

This is awesome. Assuming it will be a short comp, but even having a league which last for a couple months will lift to woman's game, and game in general to new heights.

Would love a Wellington team.. But I'm sure the sides will need an NRL brother?

7. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

Easy brother.

I’d like women to show case skill and not ripping each other’s tits off...

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Stone
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Stone 1st Grade Fringe

Great news for the game

I just hope all the ladies involved from all 4 teams are given a decent salary so they can just totally focus on training & playing for the full duration of their comp

I'm assuming that quite a few of these ladies will be the mothers of relatively young children so IMO they deserve to be well compensated for time away from their families

9. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

I know this is not going to be popular... but,

I don't have any interest in watching all but a tiny percentage of women's sports.

Good luck to them... but meh.

(waits for the obligatory 'why comment then?')

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

The term you are looking for is Wahine Toa.

And yeah you are right, A woman Warrior is no different to a male in terms of being a fighter.

In the old days some Women from various areas went to war.

Otherwise they defended the Pa...the oldies and the kids.

Many were expert in the Patu which is the most technically advanced fighting style Maori had.

I digress....

I love the tests....try to catch NZ V Aus wherever I can...the hits are better than the man's game and the style flows better.

11. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

Ok

why comment then?

12. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

Because I am a modern woman and I will speak my mind.

13. Stone
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Stone 1st Grade Fringe

Dayum JohnnyrayJohnnyray that's some savage shit bro

I wouldn't even want to see that in womens MMA

Even in FG men's footy ... could you imagine some dude in the crowd yelling out "RIP THEIR FUCKIN BALLS OFF BOYS!!!"

It'd be somwhat amusing I guess, but I'd still be thinking ... Slow your roll G ... This ain't Turkish mens oil wrestling

For those who don't know, the ole squirrel grip n rip is a legit "technique" in that "sport"

I shit you not ... Google it

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

I grew up watching Woman's Gymnastics, my daughter took it up ( prolly my influence more than the Mum).

The 100 meter sprint, Swimming, then there is the patriot in me...I will watch NZ compete in anything Olympic.

Sarah Ulmer rates up there of all athletes I've admired.

Then there was the coal miners daughter smacking people over in the ring.

Beatrice and more so Valerie I've been big fan of.

I will follow this team. More interested in how they fare than the ISP and Juniors.

15. Old Sid
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2014

Old Sid 1st Grade Fringe

If it's anywhere near the standard of the Kiwi Ferns, it's certainly well worth watching. They never cease to entertain and surprise with fitness levels, especially given that they are part timers and rarely get together to train.

Could be a massive boost for the ladies game here in NZ and hence the Ferns too. Well done Warriors organisation for seeing this through.

16. Stone
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Stone 1st Grade Fringe

I've gotta 9yo daughter, she just came home from school & I was just telling her about this

She then said "But why would I play for them Daddy ?"

I replied "Daddy's always told you can do anything you set your mind to darling, do you not think you're talented enough ?"

So I'm getting ready for a serious 1 on 1 with my baby girl & then she says "No it's not that Daddy, it's cos you're always saying the Warriors are bloody useless"

Ahh from the mouths of babes

All I could think to reply after I finished laughing was "Oh ok beautiful, but I was talking about the boys when I said that, the girls are different" lol

17. Tragic
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2016

Tragic 1st Grade Fringe

Dont mind watching the international ladies but I am with danpatmac on this, not that interested and watching any nrl game or the warriors isp boys would rate higher for me so can't see it generating much interest or enuf money to survive.

18. Makasene
    Join:
    May 10, 2012

Makasene 1st Grade Fringe

A Warrior Princess?? (Not SJ :woot:)

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. davewjnz
    Join:
    Mar 10, 2013

davewjnz 1st Grade Fringe

No doubts about this, pound for pound some of the hits and skill of the women game are right up there with the men.
    Having been involved in the coaching staff of one of the Auckland woman club teams back in the 90's
    The skill level shown by the women teams back then right up to now have always had me absolutely amazed.
    Back then the girls used to jump back and forth between rugby and rugby league trying to figure out which game they preferred.
    Awesome to see the Warriors being part of this initiative for women rugby league.
    What a year it would be for the Warriors if our men made finals footy given the woman team could possibly comprise of our NZ womans team.
    1st GF day NZ Wahine Toa vs Brisbane lol wouldn't that piss Sydney off

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  20. Ever Hopeful
    Join:
    Feb 24, 2013

Ever Hopeful 1st Grade Fringe Contributor

I coach girl's cricket. This year with the women's games being regularly televised, some players gaining professional contracts and NZ Cricket bringing domestic 20/20 and 50 overs games to the regions, the number of girls wanting to be involved has skyrocketed. Girls playing cricket are outnumbering boys 2 to 1 in the school I teach at.

Here's hoping this NRL women's comp inspires girls and women throughout NZ and gives some of our wayward youth a positive focus in life like the mana it has given some of our boys.

Great news, well done to the NRL (and let's face it, they needed to do something like this to offset some of the headlines caused by some NRL player's attitudes towards women). I also believe the Warriors would be a very positive organisation for a women's team to belong to. I can really see our boys being very supportive.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018