1. ejbrenu2
    Join:
    Aug 3, 2017

ejbrenu2 Warriors Bench Player

The issue being no Aussie players want to come over and if they do we will have to pay overs and end up with players like Dane Nielsen, Todd Lowrie and Jeff Robson. I don't believe the Aussie system produce's better players but they seem to transition better to first grade. I think it's more to do with years of substandard coaching appointments the club makes than the players coming through. We see it year on year at the club, young players coming through, having some talent but not progressing and in some cases like Kata, going backwards

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. ejbrenu2
    Join:
    Aug 3, 2017

The issue being no Aussie players want to come over and if they do we will have to pay overs and end up with players like Dane Nielsen, Todd Lowrie and Jeff Robson. I don't believe the Aussie system produce's better players but they seem to transition better to first grade. I think it's more to do with years of substandard coaching appointments the club makes than the players coming through. We see it year on year at the club, young players coming through, having some talent but not progressing and in some cases like Kata, going backwards

3. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Year but Aussie Players do want to come here. Our entire history we've had Aussie players coming here and doing well... This argument doesn't hold water as far as I'm concerned.

Our problem is our local juniors don't want to play defense. I haven't seen enough of Ogden to make a judgment on his defense, but that's a much bigger problem than Aussies not picking NZ as their first choice footy club IMO.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  4. Afakasi247
    Join:
    Mar 5, 2014

Afakasi247 1st Grade Fringe

Interesting...sounds like the club just didn't rate him or his manager was seeking a bigger role and more money for his client in a scenerio where the Warriors weren't prepared to hand out.

With Harris and Pulu incoming, Afoa another year wiser, the huge wraps on young Papali'i and First Grade experience in favor of Tevaga and Bell (despite both being undersized they do punch above their weight)....there might have been no room for Ogden in the clubs eyes.

Could also mean Thompson will be re-signed too.

I thought the club would regret letting go RFM...he hasn't set the world on fire although being a fixture in the Doggies rotation....not expecting much else losing Ogden.

Hope I'm not proven wrong.

• List
  5. RICHMAN
    Join:
    Jun 29, 2017

RICHMAN Warriors Bench Player

A-B=C X F(AXD) = Basically by the SK formula just used he didn`t fit in the process of the formula
    so was let go:confused:

6. Weno
    Join:
    Nov 3, 2012

Weno 1st Grade Fringe

He got to play a bit of first grade though.
    Might of been a regular starter for us if he was around now.lol

7. Swanny
    Join:
    Jun 18, 2017

Swanny U20's Player

Yeah I was also thinking it may be an indication that Thompson is staying.

Apparently RFM is one of only three players that the Bulldogs will not let go as they think he has such a big future

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

All will be revealed in the coming weeks.

PS. I don't actually know if it all will be revealed in the coming weeks, I assume that's just the company line for stalling.

9. adalu239
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2013

adalu239 1st Grade Fringe

RFM is starting to make a name for himself in the NRL. Remember, he's still young. He's also been mentioned as one of only THREE players at the dogs that they're not prepared to release despite salary cap restraints.. Josh Jackson and David Klemmer are the others. That's saying something. I personally think RFM was a huge loss.. a great club man, and trains the house down. I recently spent the week with the bulldogs and he was the most impressive of the lot..

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  10. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

RFM made some absolutely shocking plays on defence. Standing in goal when our line was under attack. He made it impossible for us to keep him.

• List
  11. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

Still skeptical over RFM, they only play him off the bench, got overtaken for a starting spot by a younger backrower Adam Elliott.

After all these years it still only Taukeiaho that is big loss we could really use. Is Ogden going to go that way or the way of Marata Niukore?

• List
  12. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington David Shitwell Contributor

Was still young and had the misfortune of being developed in the Warriors system and even worse our NYC team where defence is optional. Always rated RFM and he will come good. Just needs some serious coaching which the Doggies look like they are willing to give him. Ofa will be in the same mould. Not the most talented player of our juniors but gives 100%, has the physical attributes, trains hard and isn't a dickhead. Same as RFM. He'll be a worthy 1st grader in time...

• List
  13. ejbrenu2
    Join:
    Aug 3, 2017

We have had some champion Aussie players, agreed. But how many in the past 5 seasons?

I don't think you can make the judgement that the local juniors don't want to defend. Have you seen Hingano when he gets game time, he defends like a terrier

14. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

It's easy to find an exception to the rule, but if you look at the averages....
    I think he's out of his comfort zone where he has to deliver or he's facing a cold hard world that doesn't care if he vanishes into the abyss... Here at Warriors World it's much easier...

• List
  15. ejbrenu2
    Join:
    Aug 3, 2017

Averages. Mannering was a NZ local product. Gets, Gavet, Roache these guys aren't poor in defence. Our edges are where we suffer. Kata makes poor reads, same as Hurrell used to, the issue is these guys are plucked from Union and within 3-4 years are playing NRL. With good coaching they could probably be better defenders, the point I am making is the simplified view of players from Aussie systems doesn't hold much weight.

• List
  16. Ref
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Ref 1st Grade Fringe

I watch a fair bit of NRL
    RFM is really starting to look like a quality all round footballer.
    Most improved player at the Dogs for mine.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. mani.patel
    Join:
    Jul 30, 2014

mani.patel Waterboy

I hadn't followed too much reserve grade but saw Ogden in the last few rounds and thought to myself "YES! I decent sized forward! And he's already at the club!!" and now I've found out he's going to the dogs.. :(

I agree with the comment that it's difficult to recruit players from the Aussie clubs without paying them overs. With the way our club has performed since 2011, it's not exactly an attractive option for most. There's not a lot of stability either, with managements approach of constantly sacking coaches.

I think our young players that get signed to Aussie clubs do better for two main reasons: 1. better development systems and 2. taking these players out of their comfort zone which forces them to step up. When they're here at "home" they've got their family and mates, but they head over and more often than not have to leave it all here. There's also more competition for spots at the other clubs (or there seems to be at least) - if you don't play to an acceptable standard, there's someone waiting to take your spot. It feels like we don't have that luxury and players can play below par and still be there next week.

I really hope the club does sell. And that whoever comes in, completely tears everything apart and rebuilds the club including management. IMO, there are too many "old boys" who have landed jobs after footy at the club that probably aren't fully qualified to fill.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  18. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Mate didnt Stephen tell you?

Send our young men overseas to develop with other clubs then recruit them back in the future.

Preferably over the age of 30 or when no one else wants them and they have to leave for SL (how you doing Mr Hiku??)

Something smells off with that idea though...

Not sure what...

19. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

There's a bit of talk about Ogden being a big forward. But he's listed on the Warriors site at 6 foot 3, 102kgs...

Sam Burgess is 6 foot 5, 116 kgs.

Andrew Fifita is 6 foot 4, 126 kgs.

We haven't lost a big man here.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. Swanley
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Swanley 1st Grade Fringe

[QUOTE="jonno, post: 679912, member: 4061
    I think he's out of his comfort zone where he has to deliver or he's facing a cold hard world that doesn't care if he vanishes into the abyss... Here at Warriors World it's much easier...[/QUOTE]
    And here lies all of our problems, which will be very hard to fix/change.

Too many mummy's boys, can't leave the family etc at our club.

Warriors need to be ruthless and cut ANYONE not coming up to standard within 2 seasons of senior football..that message will soon be heard loud and clear. Perform or else.

• List