Olympics 2016

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by surfin, Aug 1, 2016.

1. surfin
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

surfin Warriors 1st Grader

Should they have the blanket ban on the Russians, competing there has been this young girls life long dream.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

2. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Hopefully this will be the end of the Olympic bullshit. Sounds like it is a disaster already but I feel sorry for the athletes and the people of Rio, they deserve much better.

3. surfin
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

I cancelled Sky a couple of months ago, but even if I had kept it watching the Olympics wasn't something I would be doing.
    The whole thing became a joke the year they let NBA players be eligible, and now with pro golfers and tennis players and other pro sports like the rugby, totally goes against everything the games stood for. As for the juicing, they are kidding themselves if they think the Russians are the only state sponsored cheats.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

I hear where u guys are coming from and they're fair points but personally I just love the olympics- always have.
    I can't wait till they kick off and hopefully they can stop reporting on the state of Brasil ( it's a third world country- I'm not sure what people were expecting) and start focusing on the sports.
    There's always some incredible stories to come out of it and I'm sure this games will be no different when all is said and done.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  5. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

The one I feel for is Lydia Ko. She desperately wants to represent NZ there. I really hope it works out.

6. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

What's the story there?

7. Johnnyray
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2014

Johnnyray 1st Grade Fringe

As much as I agree with your comments, the reality is the Olympics have always been a joke. The 1900 Olympic Games in Paris for example was such a cluster fuck of human achievement ( here are just some of events you can compete in, in 1900 Paris Olympic Summer Games, Motor Racing, Hot Air Ballooning, Cricket, Croquet, Pétanque, One Mile Obstacle Swimming Race where actual crowd was actually encouraged by race committee throw things into river at participants, so one man thinking it could swim threw a goat at them, that's one fucked off goat ... ) that they had to then quickly re organise 1904 Chicago Olympics (later moved to St Louis ) in an attempt to save it. It survived but it's reputation for pulling stupid shit still remains. Just look at all things you pointed out. Personally for me funniest one (sans drowning goat) is how Arts and Crafts, Painting for fucks sake, was actual Olympic event from 1924 to 1948. Just think what that means. It means there is some woman somewhere with a gold medal from her grandad and she thinks that means he some heroic champion that got it in competing in some brave water sport. Nope water colours. Fucking crazy man ... o_O

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  8. surfin
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

I know, even over the last 20 odd years the poms, because they suck at so many real sports have floated the idea of trying to bring in ballroom dancing and darts. Personally I'm not a fan of sports/games where a referee is involved, because we all know the fuckers are forever getting shit wrong, being included in the Olympics. For me the whole thing should be the individual type sports, where it's just people trying to be the fastest, strongest etc. But I also struggle to believe there are more clean athletes than those juiced to the eyeballs.
    The whole thing is built on corruption, from the naming of the host country, the broadcasting rights, and the cheats across the competitors, there is simply too much money involved. Then as a follow on you have the debt countries, especially of the likes of Brazil get let left with years after the IOC and Coke have packed up and gone home.

• List

9. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

I have zero interest in the Olympics

• List
  10. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Heard on Radio Sport this afternoon that one of the boxing judges has been reported in a UK paper as saying a lot of the judges, refs and officials are corrupt or open to bribes and he thinks around half the bouts will have predetermined outcomes.

Edit: here's the link to the article...
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

11. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington David Shitwell Contributor

Still astounded that they would give Brazil an Olympics. A large portion of the population live in poverty and the world is happy to see them spend hundreds of millions to build a whole heap of white elephants while kids starve. I remember watching a doco about all the homeless kids in Brazil who beg, borrow and steal just to stay alive while living in abandoned buildings and sewers.

That being said I'll follow the Kiwis with some interest and always like seeing the 100m final sprint.

As for the drug issue. Ive always wanted to see the dope Olympics. Just get a whole bunch of juiced up lunatics pushing both the human and medical extremes to the very edge. 9 second 100m. Lifters doing 700kg deadlifts...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  12. charlie bobmarley
    Join:
    May 16, 2012

charlie bobmarley 1st Grade Fringe

Woman's volleyball,handball. Woman's high jump,long jump,pole vault & triple jump. Woman's track ( not the field ), woman on bikes, in swimsuits...

I love the olympics

• Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  13. mode81
    Join:
    Jul 25, 2012

mode81 1st Grade Fringe

Sky Sports has 10 channels for the Olympics.

I would be happy with a 10 minute highlight package every night instead.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  14. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Women's beach volleyball

• List
  15. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

That's what One News sports reporting is for ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  16. mode81
    Join:
    Jul 25, 2012

mode81 1st Grade Fringe

True that.

I don't mind the opening ceremony I like it when the host Nation rocks in.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Bag of shite the lot of it

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

I'm a little bit out of the bubble in Aus, who are NZs medal hopes this time around?

• List
  19. mrblonde
    Join:
    Apr 14, 2012

mrblonde 1st Grade Fringe

No wonder Juan and Antonio are already saying this is the best Olympics ever.

Is Betya Notgonna Getover banned? Pity, I was hoping she'd go up against the Korean You PakShit or her compatriot Full Karpark

Paddy O'furniture's a hot medal prospect as is the Nigerian Ohyeah Babyyouwinmama

matiunz: Carrington, Adams, Rowing pair (Hamish Bond & Eric Murray), 7s, probably some I'm missing out.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  20. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

There was a massive construction project due to kick off in Australia called Olympic dam.

When it got cancelled it was renamed Paralympic dam - the project's go no legs mate!