General Discussion Pre game day strategy

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by gREVUS, Feb 27, 2018.

1. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

Hi all i wanted to start a discussion on what Strategy you would like to see the warriors employ to beat each team weekly.

I got the idea from reading this article:
    Stat Attack: The glaring chink in Rabbitohs' defensive armour
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

in short according to the article the Bunnies are crap at defending attacking kicks. Now this may be because of their traditionally large pack and happiness to give up a penalty to stop a try, meaning that its a way to get around them, or maybe they just dont scramble well.

If i was SK and knew about this (as im sure he does) I would be drafting a strategy to take advantage of it. My concern is that Ken is not showing reliable hands, which means that kicks are more likely to go to the right taking advantage of Fus out there.

I think this would be a good time to bring back the Banana kick and to look at pulling RTS forward into the line on attack, placing him out by Kata and creating doubt in the minds of the defenders as to who will receive the ball.

I have seen Sam grubber a kick but very very rarely see it done by Issac Luke who is more inclined to take a scoot and try for himself. I wish i know more about Green in this area because someone needs to try this multiple times in the game and it cant be SJ as they will have him covered 90% of the game.

anyhow thats my first thoughts, please chime in and rip it to pieces

2. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 6/7 away wins, who are these jokers??

If Adam Reynolds is still missing and they use the kid from trials. I think they will load up left for the backdoor sweep and Green or SJ with the no look head fake will hit Mannering on the flat ball targeting the half, which has seen him go over untouched many times. That halfs defense is real weak from what I saw in both trials.

3. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

I want to see them adopt the Terminator's mentality and shut the Rabbitohs down with smothering defense like white on rice, then over to SJ put on frequent air raids with massive bombs and killer bee like intentions on the kick chase until they crack under the MF pressure and the flood gates open..

How's that!:D

4. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

so your keen on SJ kicking towering bombs? Ive never thought those were very effective, as they tend to go to the opposition more often than not, giving them heaps of time to recover. I would personally prefer he doesnt kick out side their 20. Also as the terminator uses every type of weapon ever made maybe a different mentality that uses UFC tackling or something?

5. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

I think souths are going to try and run the warriors off the park in the first half of the game, smothering tackles and fast plays of the ball. They have an unknown in GI out there which adds some unpredictibility and reading on their site they talk about being given a license to add flair in attack, which i think will be him and Gagai. But you would have to target GI just to see if hes really all there. It will be a real opportunity for the Warriors new forward pack to stand up and tell the comp that their back. I believe you'll know by the first rotation from the bench if the warriors can handle them.

6. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Good thread.

The Burgess twins look in great preseason form.

Now that we have an Ivan Cleary like very defensive type second row pack I won't be surprised to see the Rabbitohs make it to our forty and our thirty meter zone just by running it.

That's ok if like Clearys era....our pack can scramble and somewhat like Muhamad Ali against Foreman....let the opposition tire and blow out throwing the kitchen sink at the Warriors line.

Provided no one drops off ( big ask I know) the Warriors should be looking to grind the Rabbits out....and run Sam Cook and Luke at the Green big lumps.

I thought the Rabbits look better than all the other preseason sides... mainly driven by their reinvigorated Super props.

They look very fit.....very fast....well drilled and confident.

By rights they should thrash our rebuild side.

I suspect Alex Corvo will be in for a bit of a shock when he sees how heavily penalised his new charges are in games.....I expect that revelation will fire up a professional like him.....enough to come up with a whole new stamina building programme which may see us better placed next year.

A lot of Waffle I know......to make this point.....the original Auckland team didn't have the Monster props or the fancy names.....they won all the time because they tackled anything that moved.....even if it was called Maninga....or Lewis....or whoever.....we need to go back to being the most desperately proud group in the sport.....and get these boys fit enough to deliver.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  7. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Heyzeus

This one's easy.

Deploy shoot roger rabbit.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. to view.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

U ever watched a bugs bunny show. He only ever gets beaten by his girlfriend. Maybe they need to act more like his girlfriend and just play dumb

9. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

God i would love to see that. Remember the days when people looked at the game after the warriors cause they knew they would be missing players and have heaps of bruises

10. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

you mean the playboy bunnies?

I've beaten off to a few myself back in the day.. ahem...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

I recon we hit them hard around the ruck .Smack the bunnies in the forwards
    An hard .An when the wholes open up Luke can sort out our counter attack big meters.
    Through the middle of the park .(Just like Mark Carroll an Peter Johnson used to for the rabbits)

12. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

Our kicking game can win this game for us. Turn those lumbering forwards around.

13. Raurimu Massive
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

Raurimu Massive 1st Grade Fringe

Standard Warriors pre-game assessment: We steamroll up the middle with "this HUGE Warriors forward pack" and then unleash the razzle dazzle. :)

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  14. playdaball
    Join:
    Apr 23, 2012

playdaball Heritage Member

Although the Warriors record in Perth is dismal, this game vs Souths is so important for a number of reasons:

1, The Mighty Blues are now 0 from 2 games and fans are so disappointed. Reading and listening to the comments you'd swear you were entering into a Warriors discussion without the hardcore, loyal fans. The Warriors could own this town!

2, The Warriors have a favourable early draw playing the Titans in game 2 at home and the Raiders early on too. A win against Souths could see the Warriors entering into a good run

3, season tickets - a few early wins could result in an avalanche of season ticket purchasers!

Then again, Souths have looked good in pre season and the TitNs will have all of their top players back so could be a disaster . You gotta love the supporting the Warriors! Nn

15. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

You left out team moral .
    If these boys get their own buzz going .Where they are playing
    For each other .An respecting the work they put in on the off season.
    We could string a few wins together .

16. Snoopy
    Join:
    Aug 19, 2017

Snoopy 1st Grade Fringe

There has been a lot of positive news recently and beating South will help build the momentum and belief.

I can’t wait for the 1st game

17. PNG Kiwi
    Join:
    Apr 11, 2016

PNG Kiwi Warriors Bench Player

This is most likely the best opportunity for the team to secure a win at Perth. They can have the luxury of going to Perth earlier than during the regular season and hopefully a fit squad.

South's are no mugs, but that is the nature of this competition, on paper South's would be favorite's but let's see what ticker and resolve this years Warriors bring.

18. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

Not expecting a win
    1. We never win round 1
    2. We never win in Perth
    3. Lots of new combinations will take time to gel
    I think we are in for a better year than most pick but we will build to it rather than come busting out of the gates

19. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Sportsbet have Souths as firm favourites at 1.65 to 2.35. I think that sums it up.

20. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

I just hope we compete.

Simple equation, they're way better, Our lot need to try not to be demoralized.

A win would be a shock upset....just can't see it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List