General Discussion Pre Season NRL Nines vs In Season Double Headers

Discussion in 'NRL Discussion' started by snake77, Apr 13, 2018.

1. NRL Nines in the pre season

25.0%
  2. A Double Header in the NRL season.

75.0%
  1. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

The double header at Mt Smart was a huge success. The Warriors on a winning streak obviously helped but like the 9's in was great having more of the focus of the NRL in Auckland.

For the 9's we had all 16 teams in town promoting the sport and the event. The first year it was great with more stars but the clubs eventually started sending lower quality teams as they wanted to save their starts for the NRL season.

Having a double header we get two full NRL matches with no teams resting their stars.

One of the reasons for Auckland getting one of the double headers was due to the 9's not being hosted here this year.

2. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

The Perth double header was a good event at their new stadium. The Sydney one was affected by the weather.

When the double headers were announced I thought we might see what we do with the Suncorp Stadium double headers the last few years where it feels like two different crowds. One for the first game and it swaps out for the second game as fans leave after their team has played.

I thought our one when it was first announced could be embarrassing if we carried on our form from recent years. People posted that it seemed hard to get tickets as overseas fans were coming to see their teams. The night seemed like a great event.

3. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

Also looks like the Warriors want more of double headers.
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

I also like the idea that is floating around replicating the Super League Magic Weekend. It would be interesting to see the crowds in Australia over a weekend. Maybe a weekend of double headers.

The 9's will be back but not in Auckland for a while so our best bet would be to get another double header. Or two of them with another in another NZ city like Wellington or Dunedin under the roof.

4. razzrillinger
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2016

razzrillinger 1st Grade Fringe

Been to two double headers now (Brisbane in 2010 and Auckland in 2018) and they've both been great.

Who wouldn't want to see two live NRL games in a row without having to move a muscle.

5. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 .....

Suncorp is going to have a whole round there next year, all 8 games Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun.

6. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Gee I wonder who gets top billing against the home team.

Probably the Cowboys.

Gee I'd love eight games here over a super weekend...these innovations probably mean the death of nines.

7. Rizzah
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Rizzah 1st Grade Fringe Contributor

Under the roof please!
    If RU & RL could suck it up, it would work quite well in tandem with the Highlanders during/around Oweek. It's quite union focused down here.

8. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Love games at Forsyth Barr stadium, watching on the Telly it is great, the atmosphere, the look of the pitch...I wish Mt Smart had that look to it.

9. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Bluetiful, Just Bluetiful!

That will be a disaster. The only day that gets sold out will be the Broncos game. The rest will be very average crowds

10. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

It would of been good to see the Sydney double header if the weather had been better.

If they are going to play more games at the one venue like the Brisbane weekend maybe a Friday and Saturday night double header in Perth. Or multiple games in NZ. There is quite a few weeks open with the Super Rugby sides travelling so the venues would be available.

11. Juju
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2012

Juju 1st Grade Fringe

I reckon the Warriors game would go well. Probably Melbourne too.

12. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Bluetiful, Just Bluetiful!

Possibly as a double header but spread over 4 days? I would assume 3 of the 4 days would have either Brisbane, Cowboys or Titans on them to appeal to Queensland crowd but I still don't think they would get the same level of crowd support they could get if they spread 4 double headers around.

13. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

Much prefer the double header over the 9s. Would also love to see it played at all the major stadiums around the country. Such an awesome centerpiece for league. Im sure even Wellingtonians would support it!!!

14. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

I think a full round throughout NZ would go better than all 8 at the same venue over the weekend.

Hit multiple markets.

From what I have seen of the Super League ones the crowd builds up as its a long couple of days watching multiple 80 minute games. Supporters would also come and go when their side plays.

15. razzrillinger
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2016

razzrillinger 1st Grade Fringe

A whole round of NRL in one city seems a bit overkill

16. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Nines at least was a bit of a point of difference, an easy way for casual fans to get a taste of the game without having to commit to 2 full games. It had a potential to convert more fans than a double header imo and I think it probably showcased Auckland and NZ better than a double header.
    I do have reservations about the staying power of nines though, I suspect it’ll go the way of the All stars game where it’ll have manufactured hype to keep it on life support. Maybe a 1 day preseason knockout version?

17. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

The thing with both the 9s and double headers here in NZ is if the Warriors don't do well than the whole thing fails. That game last week, if the Warriors had instead been on a losing streak it would have only been a half stadium. The goes for the 9s. When the Warriors put in a half arse team the crowds stayed away. Thats why such events must be shared around. There also needs to be a clear family area but the rest of the place needs to embrace that party vibe that the Wellington 7s did so well for so long until the namby pamby teetotallers destroyed it...