Post Match Rd 4 - Warriors vs Tigers Post Match Talk

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by ToiletDuck, Mar 29, 2014.

1. ToiletDuck
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

ToiletDuck Dr Faggot Contributor

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2014

2. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

Time for me to log out and get organised for the threesome (oops, I mean triple header).

Since I haven't heard any convincing options, I have gone with the Wellington jersey. No complaints from anyone if we lose, please, as I had to make this tough decision on my own.

Warriors 42-16

Read more: http://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/n...e-game-discussion.35345/page-11#ixzz2xKS4pWKc

Nigma you are almost a fucking genius

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Hurrell and fish should be our right edge for the next 5 years- leave them farkin there Elliott

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 11
    • List
  4. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Looking forward to watching the battles between brooks and SJ in the coming years.
    So far SJ 1- brooks 0.
    SJ owned him tonight

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  5. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  6. rugged
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

rugged 1st Grade Fringe

Johnson was awesome tonight, handling the ball plenty and taking great options

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  7. fanrrior
    Join:
    Apr 10, 2012

fanrrior 1st Grade Fringe

Normally I'd be ecstatic if we just scored 40 points on a team but watching this game just made me think that the Warriors were lucky and are capable of playing even better. Don't get me wrong, I'm stoked that we won. I'm just licking my lips in anticipation for the next round.

On a side note, the Tigers really can't catch a break when it comes to injuries.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  8. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Just tattoo the number 4 on Hurrell's back.
    That man must play 80min every game,

• List

9. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

pretty ugly game really with flashes of awesome. Good result considering how sapping last weeks game must have been.

• List
  10. motu1
    Join:
    May 20, 2012

motu1 1st Grade Fringe

Hurrell outstanding bukuya and the fish awesome too

if it wasn't for daley we would won all three games

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  11. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

Jay M Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Post match thoughts: we didn't stick to structure, we didn't close out as well as I'd like, we started fucking horribly, and SJ and Tomkins were running sideways too much (I know Tomkins got a try out of it at the end but still)... need a better long kicking game, and need more line speed especially off our own line. Tigers made way too many metres way too easily. forwards need to be more direct... ok, that's the space for improvement...

Now the good stuff: Hurrell - what a BEAST. 169 metres (per interim stats), and his winger scored 3 tries from passes from Konnie. Elliot - you better not bench him next week. He changed the game when he came on. And that try just before halftime for SJ - well that will go down in Warriors folklore.

Lillyman - 111 metres - 4th game in a row over 100 metres. Matagi (87m), Mutts (95m) and Bukuya (67m) were also key contributors in the forwards.

Defence wise - Friend was the man again (I know some of you don't think he should be our hooker), made some telling tackles tonight, tried his guts out. Having Leuluai on at lock seemed to free him up again. Did Friend get subbed at all?

Rapira, Bukuya, Mannering also made valuable contributions defensively. Hurrell made 11 tackles for 1 miss as well, and was awesome to see him come infield at the end of the game looking to take some pressure off the forwards who had done a bucketload of defence!

What I truly loved about tonight? No-one would say our spine played particularly well. Tomkins and SJ didn't play well (IMO). And some of our younger players stood up late in that first half and carried us over the line. Our short kicking game and ability to put pressure on the tigers was good...

damn... Hurrell... Beast...

• List
  12. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

Awesome win so glad we woke up

13. Fazz
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Fazz 1st Grade Fringe

We were a little lucky in this game, but to be fair we did create a lot of that luck through actually turning up to play.

I was particularly impressed by our forwards. I expected them to be monstered, but they all stepped up to varying degrees. The bench in particular. Lilly coming on and immediately smashing Gavet was a huge moment imo. I was the start of the Tigers really beginning to wilt. Bukuya was also very impressive, his start really kept us in the game in my opinion. Firstly getting us an important penalty, then almost scored and finally catching a tricky grubber and getting into the field of play. Lousi was running it hard all day too, which was nice to see. He acted as a third prop for much of the game which helped our go forward a lot. Muts, Matangi and Rapira were also good, but didn't stand out as much to me.

I'm not sure HOW big of an impact he actually had, but to me it seemed like our entire team gained a LOT of focus when TL came on. He was also huge in D. I saw him rattling off some very heavy tackles. All in all, a great return that far exceeded my expectations.

Princess Johnson also had a very tidy game. Good kicking, some nice tackles made and no stupid errors. That should be his baseline performance every week.

Tomkins, Tomkins, Tomkins...you may have scored a try, but you very nearly cost us the entire game before that. A lot of dropped balls and not a lot else has me very sceptical about whether he'll play out his entire contract. He might come good, but early on colour me unimpressed.

I'm not even going to waste any time rambling on about the Konrad / Fish combo. This image sums things up for me pretty well:
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

14. sydneywarrior92
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

sydneywarrior92 1st Grade Fringe

Those Tomkins quick flicks to Hurrell is why we bought him. Fast service to Hurrell with a head of steam made Brooks shit himself constantly all night and is what virtually every other edge defence will be thinking if we build on this. That right edge attack was just awesome and the Fish was an absolute brilliant finisher and it has the potential to be one of the most damaging attacking edges in the comp if we build on it.

If Elliot doesn't pick Hurrell as a centre next week I've officially lost confidence in him. Hurrell is a centre, not a prop forward, he is more damaging making breaks on the edges.

We're starting to see the flashes of brilliance that we know Sam Tomkins can bring- that try he scored was class and his combination with Hurrelll as I said is salivating. Its still not there yet but we made a massive movement of improvement today. Still we can be 1000% better.

On another note, I'd note that we've won twice this year, something it took until round 8 to achieve last year. Whilst it is unfortunate we constantly dig a huge hole at the start of the year, its encouraging that the hole this year wasn't that deep and we are already at 50% win rate, something that was never achieved last year. Lets take advantage of this soft draw we have now, and move up the ladder, the Sharks with their decimated roster and an out of form Bulldogs unit. We can be 4-2 before we head to Melbourne for ANZAC day and yet we aren't playing anywhere near as well as we can yet.

• List
  15. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Ropati and his "calming presence and experience" can GTFO.

This is the Warriors I love.

• List
  16. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Good game.

That's two games in a row that Johnson has controlled the game when he needed to, and also added in some extra running this time around.

Hurrell, what a beast.

Tomkins. Mixed day, but I think he's starting to learn. Three times he went against the grain, the first he should have backed himself and taken the large hole instead of the standard waiting for the ESL defense to over commit and step into an even bigger hole (doesn't happen in the NRL). The second time he almost put Johnson over. The third time he scored a try.

Tomkins has brilliant ball skills when the overlap is there. When it's not he needs to cut back because the defensive line is staggered enough for him to cut teams apart in that situation.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  17. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

Great game and even greater result. Glad the boys got the 2 points in Wellington. Cant wait to watch the replay...

18. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

save yourself some pain this week and only watch the replay from after Hurrell comes on ;)

and on that note, time to get another beer and go watch the other games tonight, without actually caring who wins, because we already won and won well. Best game of the year so far :)

Gone the warriors! and goodnight ;)

• List
  19. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

how many repeat sets have we forced with little grubbers into the ingoal? I feel like we have had more in 4 rounds than we did all last year.

• List
  20. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

they said before the game tonight we'd forced 8 in the first three rounds (5 to Townsend, 3 to SJ), not sure how many more we enforced tonight... really good to see as well, especially given the new changes to the rules and the zero tackle from the 20 etc...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List