General Discussion Referee Rant Thread

Discussion in 'NRL Discussion' started by jonno, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

He gets away with it because the refs can't understand a word he is saying.

Tomkins for captain!

2. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

¿N. ig-mah¿ Warriors 1st Grader

A good reason why Hoffman may make a better captain. If the refs are making these colossal errors and are copping it outside the actual game, they will be more likely to keep it clean under a strong captain who is not afraid to challenge them. Players like Ennis, Smith, etc will thrive under these conditions. Weaker, or quieter captains may get walked over. And now that no one else is allowed to challenge the ref, you need the strongest captain possible, who is prepared to challenge.

3. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

The refs ignore the filth that opposition dish out to Tomkins. With his accent, they would probably just act like they can't hear him at all.

4. Iafetas Kickstand Wang
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Iafetas Kickstand Wang 1st Grade Fringe

I think people over-estimate the value of the captain talking to the referee. The captain is THE example within the club. The captains biggest role is not to complain to refs, but to influence others on the types of attitudes required to be a true professional. From all accounts Mannering is unbelievably professional and extremely well respected by the players.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  5. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

I had tipped the Rabbits last night so perhaps I'm biased, plus I am still filthy at Josh Reynolds for milking that penalty to beat us unfairly last year... but are you guys suggesting the Dogs were hard done by last night serious?

You can't attack the legs of the kicker plain and simple and whether Graham intended to or not, that's exactly what he did. As a result Adam Reynolds will be out injured for months which will seriously damage the Rabbitohs chances. It's not about making the game soft, it's about trying to stop exactly what happened last night from happening. It's nothing to do with favouring teams. My opinion - the Dogs are a bunch of dirty pricks who deserved everything they got. Also they were way out of line in how they reacted and hopefully get the book thrown at them.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  6. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

It was never an attack on the legs. It was a charge down. You are highly likely to contact the kickers legs when charging down a field goal. Its in the nature of the action. Do we ban charge downs, or use a standard rule that people will be contacted in the game, and look at whether contact is legsl or late. I think the protection of the kicker is actually too much.

7. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Walk Them Out

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

When you have the Referee's Boss saying they had a pretty good round 4 and that has set them up well for a big Easter round, obviously he doesnt see it the same way as the majority of fans. Well, it only took one game for the shit to hit the 'fan'.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  8. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

The fact is Adam Reynolds is now out for 4-5 months. The rule was made to stop this very thing from happening. If it was one of our halves Id be blowing up big time...

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 9
    • List

9. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

It's no different from a shoulder charge accidentally connecting with a players head - I doubt there were many times that the bloke putting the hit on intentionally set out to knock a bloke out. Did you see Reynolds knee bend? If so then how could you possibly think that the penalty wasn't justified?

• List
  10. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

This is why the rule was brought in. 'Accidental' on Steve Price's behalf but it still leaves the opposition player with a broken leg after its been bent at the knee frontways :inpain:. Thats unacceptable in my opinion...

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  11. Slash Razor
    Join:
    Aug 12, 2012

Slash Razor 1st Grade Fringe

they're not playing tiddly winks out there, players will get hurt... its consistency from the refs I'm more concerned about, or the lack of it, if one teams get penalized for slowing down the play the ball or inside the ten, then the other team has to have the same call go there way or it looks so biased its ridiculous, cause every damned team does it during a game...

cant wait to they change the interchange bench rule, speed it up again, cause at the moment with these muppet referees running the show the game has really turned into a bore...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Oh geez the old tiddly winks line. Well done. I'm sure if it were you with the ripped ligaments or broken leg then you would be crying a different tune. Personally I would prefer the blokes with the skill to be given every opportunity to showcase it without huge risk of 'accidental' contact like last night. Also I wouldn't be too quick to conclude it was accidental - Graham has a history of this type of thing, including Burgess in last years GF.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  13. Iafetas Kickstand Wang
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

When I first watched it I was fairly angered, only because I have no time for the Rabbitohs. But frankly, you can't do that. The rule was brought in because of Steve Price because of two incidents, one that ended Tony Caine's career, the other that injured Brett Kimmorley. Pricey was a true pro in that he played to the rules, and was absolutely hell bent on ensuring the oppositions last play option was generally rubbish, but, the rule was needed because it inadvertently went too far.

It was the right call. There were two blunders in the game IMO. Ginglis dropped the ball cold in the ruck and Canterbury were penalised. And, James Graham not being ordered off for his petulent display against the referee. Klemmer shouldn't have got 10, he should have been ordered off as well. They had this massive blitz on interactions with referees last year, this time two blokes at least were swearing off their chops in what I would consider an intimidatory manner, and no one was ordered from the field. Quite amazing.

• List
  14. Iafetas Kickstand Wang
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Remember when he feasted on Slater in the Grand Final? Great player, but a terribly unsportint fuckface really.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Slash Razor
    Join:
    Aug 12, 2012

Slash Razor 1st Grade Fringe

To Mr Brownstone, calm down dude! anyone think you were out for the season, its a game off hard knocks or are you going to quote me on that as well, people get injured every week, thats just part of the game...

16. slaughterhouse.sa
    Join:
    May 26, 2012

slaughterhouse.sa 1st Grade Fringe

Feel free to charge down a kick but if you if you make contact of the legs be aware.

So maybe dont dive at the legs a la Steve Price and graham ....there are better ways

This is and has been the rule for some time ... see Mt Wellingtons posts for reasoning.

If your kicking the ball the last thing you should have to worry about is your legs being taken out.

Again if Graham was in a tackling motion and smashed in the ribs or checst in a big tackle ....there would be no problem.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  17. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

so in watching this i thought that the penalty was unnecessary as it was the epitome of accidental contact. However you all say there is a rule for exactly this process, does that rule then state that the kick will be taken 20 meters out directly in front of the sticks? ok this was answered in the weekend thread and i have read the ruling and found the penalty.

"Drop Goal 10. (a) If a player fouls an opponent who is attempting a Foul Play drop goal, a penalty kick shall be awarded in front on Kicker of the goal posts."

However i still say the ref got it wrong as Grahame was committed before the kick was made.
    Section 15. Players’ Misconduct (continued) If the player in possession has delayed kicking the ball until the tackler has commenced to dive, the tackler should not be penalised. The ball has been kicked before the opponent commits himself to the tackle. He should be penalised if he obstructs the kicker.

the issue here imo is that the ref once he has made a call refuses to accept the evidence in front of him (the numerous replays on the big screen) and change his ruling. However recently i have seen them request a replay for a 40/20 and will often be overrulled by the video ref when everyone delays forming for a scrum to see the replay.

18. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

BTW. I agree Graham should have been sent off, I reckon the ref choked and couldnt bring himself to march 2 people and one being the captain. I agree the fans should be banned for life. Lastly i think the ref should be sacked, for letting the situation get out of hand in the first place and not correcting his ruling. I am so sick of refs pandering to players on the field. Stop fucking being their mates and stop picking and choosing which rules to enforce and which to ignore and then everyone can play to the same set and enjoy the game.

As soon as a player abused him they should have been marched off the field. Not doing it just opens the door to all the shit we saw.

19. facefacts
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

facefacts 1st Grade Fringe

Yes because referees always change their decisions when they have a captain screaming in their faces:rolleyes:.

Captains are there for the leadership they show their players, and the best way to do that is by their actions in the way they play the game, not by throwing a tantrum like that Graham clown.

It was a fair enough penalty and Graham should get a few weeks for unsportsmanlike behavior.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  20. wallacenz
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

wallacenz Warriors 1st Grader

Just watching the Knights vs Dragons and the referees are making a lot of bad calls.

The 2 ref system doesn't seem to help them make the right decisions. The 2nd ref is obviously there just to give penalties for offside, they might as well get rid of him and tell the touchies to do their job

• List