General Discussion Referee Rant Thread

Discussion in 'NRL Discussion' started by jonno, Mar 29, 2015.

1. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

After re watching the Roosters Raiders game the last 15 mins was crap... The refs kept pulling up the play on some real marginal calls of offside and forward passes... and it seemed like every sweet attacking play was pinged and pulled back just as the play was getting good.

Were they breaking the rules? Maybe. But it was unclear on slow mo, so how the fuck can a ref say for sure that it's a forward pass or the guys in front of the kicker..

End result, it was a bore fest...

The refs just need to grow some balls and let the games flow imo... and calling it fair for all teams wouldn't be the worst idea either...

I know I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one....

2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    On a more serious note this type of shit is unacceptable. JohnnyrayJohnnyray touched on it in another thread but Rugby League needs to be more like Rugby Union in terms of the refs having complete control and respect. If anyone in Union raised a finger like Graham did he'd be marched off for 10 minutes just like that. Klemmer swearing at the ref would have been a red card and a lengthy suspension and fine. Nigel Owens is a Union ref who doesnt take any shit and that how our games refs should be treated.

On the flip side though is the perceived incompetence of some of the games refs. They really need to pick their game up big time. Especially the 3rd ref who has hindsight on some 7 cameras to work with...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

Haha love that last one... "I don't think we've met before but I'm the referee here..not you"

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  4. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

¿N. ig-mah¿ Warriors 1st Grader

My father-in-law was over last night. Asked if he could watch the rugby. He is an amateur rugby ref. He was watching Brumbies v someone. He was talking about how many bad calls they are getting from the TMO. I watched on of the players lay his hands on the ref over and over. I commented, and the father-in-law said he would have sent the guy. Nothing aggressive, by clearly a domination technique. They seem to have basically the same issues as our game.

5. Horriors2014
    Join:
    Mar 16, 2014

Horriors2014 1st Grade Fringe

You're on the money. Even Ivan said so when he was here. He said that he didn't know how bad it was until he coached here.

And the reason we get it worst is because we just don't rate a mention in the Sydney papers. The refs know they'll get less pressure if they favour the Sydney teams.

And Jonno's pictures show clearly that the refs are incompetent.

Even with the naked eye you can see his hand lost contact with the ball a foot before it landed.

I say take away the human element of reffing. With match-fixing and political agendas and self'preservation a real issue in sport these days it's safer for the future of sport. Why trust humans any more? There will always be controversy and people spending more time talking about corruption than the game itself.

It will also save time. I'm tired of tmos. They kill momentum.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  6. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

And Matt Elliott for what its worth...

7. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan 1st Grade Fringe

Some discussion points for me:

1. Referees have brought the abuse heaped on them by their informal on field handling of players.

2. Graham's frustration understandable, he is the Captain, his response unacceptable.

3. Klemmer, and any other player who bought into the abuse needs to be hammered. They are not Captain so no excuse to talk to the Ref.

4. Hasler and Graham meeting with Archer before investigations complete is innappropriate and should not be allowed.

5. To hold Canterbury to the code of behaviour bond after 12 years is silly and highlights procedural faults in the NRL not to have end dates on it,

6. It is harsh but Canterbury has a vicarious liability for the behaviour of the fans and players. 99% of their fans will be decent people supporting their team, however, they have a role, and seem to be doing it, of identifying that 1%.

7. The NRL HAVE to achieve consistency in the judiciary and not be ruled by the media. Another question is if they can be affected by the media, who else can influence them.?

8. On a glass half full approach this is a perfect time to get the issues addressed. Some bans, fines and perhaps loss of points may put a line in the sand.

9. The NRL have to decide who runs the game. What do young players think of this and will they follow the lead.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  8. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

What ever happened to that rule where only captains could talk to the ref?

9. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

I've got no problem with the James Graham penalty. It's no different to an accidental high tackle... Graham was looking for a charge down and should have fallen short or stayed on his feet... Falling directly towards the legs of the kicker is a penalty every day of the week...

What I don't like is all this intimidation of the refs... We don't do it, and it seems to work against us, as the refs are more inclined to give penalties against us because we won't get right in their face and spit all over them with our angry reasons why we've been hard done by..

Ban the players from talking to the refs at all, and if the captain walks up he can ask for an explanation and that's it... Any other comment and it's more punishment... If we can ban punching then we can ban ref manipulation as well surely...

10. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

¿N. ig-mah¿ Warriors 1st Grader

Bring in the Captain's Challenge. At least it leaves an avenue to protest.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  11. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

i've seen this mentioned a few times but there is one gaping hole in it... a ton of the issues that captains/teams and clubs are unhappy with are the video ref decisions and forgive me if i'm wrong here... but you can't captain's challenge the video ref decision because there is not another video ref to view the video ref decision.

it is for 'on the field' reffing blunders and i think that most times the refs actually get it right anyway... it's the video ref thats fucked.

12. Wellington Warrior
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

Wellington Warrior Warriors 1st Grader

• List
  13. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Warriors 1st Grader

Good, I hope they throw the book at them.
    What I hope for more is that this sets a precedent and your serial offenders ala Thurston/Gallens (among others)of this world are also held accountable for how they speak to the refs.

• List
  14. Selector
    Join:
    Apr 2, 2015

Selector 1st Grade Fringe

Jared Maxwell has to be one of the worse referees in the NRL. Has absolutely no feel for the game lacks the courage to make decisions every try situation he sends to the video referee. Has no rapport with players and likes to thing of himself as the main act in a game.

15. Danco
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Danco NSW Cup Player

Totally agree, if players performed like that they would be dropped.

16. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

17. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

I don't think they were especially biased and all the calls up to the video ref came back correct, but you can't preside over a game where every player knows he will be rewarded for straight dropping the ball in the tackle and looking dumbly at the ref until the call comes. Sharks did it more often, but both sides did this.

Rewards cheats and boring play, should want them to come up something skillful to relieve pressure and get out of their own end, not just rely on the officials to bail them out every time.

Even when someones not putting the ball on the ground, they'll come up with a too long in the tackle penalty, for ones that are no different to the any of the other hundreds of tackles in the game. Didn't really hurt us as sharks only interested in kicking for goal and waiting for more penalties, but against a team with some attacking ideas, that weight of possession from arbitrary, made up calls would have sunk us.

• List
  18. Danco
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Danco NSW Cup Player

We got a get of jail card, luck luck luck.

19. demco
    Join:
    Mar 9, 2013

demco 1st Grade Fringe

If any of you saw the game today Storm v St George there was at lest 4 if not 5 wrong calls by the so called refs against St George and the tv commentators both agreed that the calls were wrong in all the 5 calls.

They all took the pressure of the cheating storm near there goal line, it had shades of the bad calls against the warriors in the past.

It seems that when the storm play at home the refs can not handle the crowd. St George were well and truly robed big time to day.

Also I am not a St George fan my heart is 110% Warriors

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  20. OMG
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

OMG Warriors 1st Grader

That was absolutely shocking, my count was about 7 plus a couple of knock ons.

Shocking.

• List