Internationals RLWC 2017 Thread

Discussion in 'International/Representative League' started by Brother Faisal, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Brother Faisal
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Brother Faisal 1st Grade Fringe

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Hey guys. Thought i'd create a space for next years world cup. Its just around the corner with some big announcements coming up starting with the draw tomorrow.

Feel free to add info, discuss issues and teams involved.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2016

2. Duh herro
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2015

Duh herro NSW Cup Player

Just a question, can Samoa pick Milford if he doesn't go to the rwc with Australia? Would really like to see some close games this world cup from some of the pacific nations.

3. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

Pretty sure there was a thread on the qualifiers a while ago

4. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

There was an article a couple weeks ago that they were trying to change things so players like Milford could play for Samoa if they weren't picked for Australia. At the moment I think it's a no, though not 100% sure.

6. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

Jay M Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Rumours abound that Canberra might get more games than Sydney because the NSW Government refused to pay for games.

From what I've heard, all NZ games at the pool stages will be in NZ, Aus vs England (opening match of the tournament) will be in Melbourne, and then the other games will be spread round. Assuming the final will be at Suncorp or in Sydney (I'd think the former if the rumours about the NSW Government are true).

Might have to see if I can convince the wife I should go to the final in suncorp. Last time I was there, the kiwis won the world cup ;)

• List
  7. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

pretty sure you can change your election (between Tier 1 and Tier 2 countries) once in between each world cup. Assuming Milford has currently elected to be eligible for Australia, he would be able to change to Samoa.

He hasn't played for Samoa since the last world cup, so I would imagine he could change from Aus to Samoa if he so desired.

8. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Better get your ass to that game if the Kiwis make it. I'll even chip in :)...

9. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

I'll do my best. One of the missus' best friends now lives in Brisbane, and the missus is always onto me saying we should go and visit them over there. I'll wait for the tournament to be announced and then start subtly planning it ;).

Last time round there was meant to be a group of 8 of us, 3 of the people who were meant to be there, didn't go... You can only imagine the pleasure I've had since that day saying "but you weren't there when the kiwis won the world cup"... (and the corresponding looks on their faces).

10. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Is there going to be a "Pool of Death" again or are they reverting to the old style format - like they have in rugby union - whereby the top teams run up huge scores against the minows?

11. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

• List
  12. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

d@mn that draw. I'm going to have to try and get tickets for at least 4 games, if not 6. (will aim for the Samoa game at Mt Smart, the two games in Hamilton, Wellington Quarter Final - assuming that's the one the kiwis will be in, then the semi, and if I can convince the wife... Brisbane for the final)

13. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

That Kiwis v Samoa game is going to go off. Should have had it at Eden Park. Place would have sold out easy. The Sa fans would have rocked that place.

Will make the Auckland, Hamilton and Christchurch QF game for sure.

Cant wait but still so damn long to go...

• List
  14. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

Scratch the Wellington QF for me, the Chch Qtr final is the one the kiwis should be in.

15. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

How does pool c and d work?

Do I need 3-D glasses?

16. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

I think the top 3 teams from Pools A and B go into the quarters. Top team from each of C & D go into the quarters.

17. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

I think that there are inter group games for pools c and d too.

Just had a Google and the European teams won't be finalised until November - be great if someone like Russia or Serbia qualified.

18. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Shit just realised I have two Hamilton games to go to. Tonga v Samoa. Should have had that in Auckland for sure...

• List
  19. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

yep. went to that game in the 08 world cup too - out at Penrith. Wicked game. Wicked wicked game.

20. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

How come England always play Australia in pool A? There's no chance England beat them so once again we're playing England in the semi and Australia gets a free ride to the final.

Would love for England to upset them though. Would be great to play Australia in the semi on our own ground.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List