Team List Rnd 25 Vrs Gold Coast Titans + Pre Match Discussion

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by tajhay, Aug 26, 2014.

1. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Dominique Peyroux returns to NRL football for just the third time this season for the Vodafone Warriors’ 25th-round clash against his former club Gold Coast at Mount Smart Stadium on Sunday (4.00pm kick-off; match day sponsor: Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.).

In his first outing in more than four months, the 25-year-old Peyroux has been named to start in the centres, coming into the side following the shoulder injury which forced rookie winger David Fusitua off the field in the opening minutes of last Sunday’s loss to the Sydney Roosters.

Ngani Laumape starts on the right wing, where he played most of the match against the Roosters after originally being selected in the centres.

In one other change to the starting line-up, Sione Lousi has been named at loose forward with Sebastine Ikahihifo included on the bench.

Returning on the interchange is veteran prop Sam Rapira, who turned out for the club’s New South Wales Cup side in its dramatic 28-30 loss to Newtown last Sunday. He replaces Feleti Mateo who will play in the NSW Cup against North Sydney on Sunday.

After making 14 appearances last season, Peyroux’s previous games this year were against Canterbury-Bankstown (bench) at Eden Park and the following week against St George Illawarra when he was in the second row.

Used 16 times for the NSW Cup side, the Cook Islands international has been with the NRL squad the last two weeks following injuries to Konrad Hurrell, Dane Nielsen and Tuimoala Lolohea; he was 18th man against the Roosters.

“Dom’s been great working with the squad giving us cover in the outside backs for the last couple of weeks,” he said.

“He has kept pushing for an opportunity through his efforts for our New South Wales Cup side and he’ll do a good job for us.

“The decision to start Sione is the way we want to go with this game.”

Peyroux played 16 times for the Titans in 2011-2012 before linking with the Vodafone Warriors last season.

He was in two losing Gold Coast sides in matches against the Vodafone Warriors but experienced victory for his new club against his old one in Robina last August.

He becomes the 11th different player the Vodafone Warriors have used as a starting centre or wing. The team’s top try scorer Manu Vatuvei has been the most durable, missing just one of the side’s 22 games this season while Hurrell, Nielsen, Fusitua, Lolohea, Glen Fisiiahi and the now-retired Jerome Ropati have all been hit by injuries.

The Vodafone Warriors go into the second to last round of the regular season out of the top eight, now 10thand needing to beat both Gold Coast and Penrith to have any chance of being in top eight contention.

“We simply have to win both games and then hope for a few things to go our way,” said McFadden.

Five players will maintain a perfect record of playing all 23 matches so far this season this week – Sam Tomkins, Nathan Friend, Jacob Lillyman, Simon Mannering and Suaia Matagi.

McFadden said the team was buoyed by this Sunday also marking old boys’ day with a strong crew of Former Players set to be on hand.

Vodafone Warriors v GOLD COAST TITANS
    Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland
    4.00pm, Sunday, August 31

Vodafone Warriors
    1 Sam Tomkins
    2 Ngani Laumape
    3 Konrad Hurrell
    4 Dominique Peyroux
    5 Manu Vatuvei
    6 Thomas Leuluai
    7 Shaun Johnson
    8 Jacob Lillyman
    9 Nathan Friend
    10 Ben Matulino
    11 Ben Henry
    12 Simon Mannering (c)
    13 Sione Lousi

Interchange:
    14 Sam Rapira
    15 Suaia Matagi
    16 Sebastine Ikahihifo
    17 Jayson Bukuya

18 John Palavi

HEAD COACH: Andrew McFadden

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2014

2. Afakasi247
    Join:
    Mar 5, 2014

Afakasi247 1st Grade Fringe

If Cappy had just dropped the hammer on Leuluai and brought back the chad, I would have been 100% happy with this team

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  3. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

Glad Mateos gone... He's thrown two good passes against the worst opposition and nothing else all year.

Also glad Doms back, have been calling for him the last couple of games - will bring some defensive starch to that edge, and enthusiasm to get involved.

Really hoping benrys knee is up to the job, but otherwise I quite like the look of that starting pack... Bit of size there.

Sam gets a deserved recall, though a little disappointed Bukuya and Matagi remain, but I guess there were very few options or Cappy.

This team is good enough, but will they turn up?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Blain
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Blain 1st Grade Fringe

Wasn't expecting TL to be dropped, so no suprises there. DP deserves a shot, although he's more a second rower these days, I hope he can keep up with the pace of the Titans backs, unlike Henry who got smoked against the Knights.

Our back row isn't looking flash atm eh. I just dont think Henry is big enough.. And with his niggles, that isn't helping. Bukuya is a lucky man. Mateo obviously losses out to him.

If we don't win this, we don't deserve to make the finals, clear as that.

5. Freddie Futler
    Join:
    Jun 10, 2013

Freddie Futler 1st Grade Fringe

Cappy sets a new trend, never change a losing team?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  6. Blain
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Blain 1st Grade Fringe

oh BTW, how has Lillyman played 23 games? Do they include Origin in those stats?

7. RobRoyMcCoy
    Join:
    Apr 19, 2012

RobRoyMcCoy 1st Grade Fringe

Dom will do a better job that Muditua. Bukkake is lucky that Mateo was equally woeful.

Bah! Humbug.

I need to find the enthusiasm to get along on Sunday. Hopefully my plan to sup plenty of beer on Friday and Saturday will pay dividends and erase the memory cells of the Rorters game...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  8. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

I feel a little 'meh' about this team…

I just want a good performance above all

• List

9. Hitman82
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Hitman82 1st Grade Fringe

While nothing about this line up excites me, if they turn up with hearts and brains intact, they are totally capable of winning.

I am not a Peyroux fan but his enthusiasm can't be questioned. Best of luck to him.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  10. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

¿N. ig-mah¿ Warriors 1st Grader

I'm disappointed that McFadden didn't even have the guts to acknowledge his Leuluai selection with a comment about sticking with TL over returning Chad. I think it sucks that he has made no effort to pinpoint what Chad did to warrant his demotion, or better yet, what the fuck Thomas has done to earn a spot.

Apart from that, I am not a huge fan of Bukuya, and Matagi should be getting the arse. Mateo, I am pleased about. Would have liked to see Ngani given the centre spot back, but I am a fan of Peyroux. I love his ADHD, it will hopefully rub off on a few lazy-arse players.

• List
  11. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

Seriously what did Chad do to warrant not being able to get into that team?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  12. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Happy for Peyroux to get his shot again after toiling in the reserve grade. Deserves it.

Will be interesting to see how the team reacts after that loss. Judging by how we have played last few games, and how we finished last year when the playoffs chances were up for grabs, im not going into this match overly confident. For the most, when it matters, this team drops its nuts.

• List
  13. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

Be fair he has said that Leuluai had to be in the team for his leadership and communication!

14. Danpatmac
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Danpatmac Warriors 1st Grader

his eyes are too far apart

• Funny Funny x 6
    • List
  15. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

Kon-Dom

Finally.

16. Buck777
    Join:

Buck777 Guest

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. mcdenda
    Join:
    Mar 19, 2014

mcdenda Warriors Bench Player

haftoo get up for the old boys

• List
  18. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

Feel exactly the same. Good line up. No one would have doubted this squad a month or so ago but because of our form of late I dont think anyone is confident.

Have my own concerns but as you say, bring their A game and we will win this...

• List
  19. mcdenda
    Join:
    Mar 19, 2014

mcdenda Warriors Bench Player

damn starting to miss the Palavi project
    and the Paasi project

• List
  20. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE Contributor

Be great to see some of the old boys. Hopefully get to catch up with some and find out what theyre up to now and get them to sign my 2014 Heritage jersey...

Old boys in focus for final home game
    Richard Becht
    Mon 25th August, 05:26PM Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    Dean Bell, Antonio (Tony) Tuimavave, Stacey Jones, Jerry Seuseu and Duane Mann in the special new CCC polos produced for the traditional old boys' day on Sunday.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Among a number of special features will be a draw to win the Suzuki Swift ‘Road Warrior’ and the first major public airing of the club’s new Vodafone-produced song for 2015. The 100-strong Crescendo Trust will perform ‘One Team, One Dream’ on the field at halftime.

Central to the fabric of the day, though, will be the now-established tradition of bringing old boys together for the last home game of the season.

In town this week has been original Warrior Hitro Okesene (#10), the man who made the flying mullet famous. He and his family were hosted in the Stacey Jones Lounge by Sir Peter Leitch for yesterday's match against the Sydney Roosters; Okesene also made an appearance in the Corporate Lounge yesterday but he and his family fly back to England before the clash against the Titans.

Also making a guest appearance in the Corporate Lounge was former fullback Brent Webb (#97), who was at last able to be presented with his Vodafone Warriors 100-game ring. It’s hoped he’ll be back to join his fellow old boys this Sunday.

Players registered to be involved in the old boys’ activities include eight 1995 originals and an array of others, most of them regular attendees for what has become a special weekend for them. Also joining them is Vodafone Warriors ambassador Sir Peter Leitch.

While many have pre-registered the club is keen for as many old boys as possible be involved.

A special new polo has been struck by Canterbury of New Zealand bearing the player’s official club number.

The old boys’ weekend begins with a Sir Peter Leitch-hosted lunch on Saturday when they’ll join the Vodafone Warriors and staff after their final training run ahead of the Gold Coast game.

Later in the day the club’s foundation captain Dean Bell (#1) will host a function at SKYCITY.

On Sunday the old boys will be hosted in the Legends of League Lounge in the East Stand. They’ll be given a tour of the Vodafone Warriors’ facilities and will also be recognised on-field before to NRL game. Later they’ll be involving in farewelling outgoing players at end of the match and will also join the team after the match; they’ve also been invited to attend the Vodafone Warriors’ ‘Meet the Team’ event at the Atrium Sports Bar at SKYCITY due to start at 7.30pm.

Old boys registered so far are (club number in brackets):

Dean Bell (1)
    Whetu Taewa (5)
    Gavin Hill (8)
    Duane Mann (9)
    Antonio (Tony) Tuimavave (13)
    Joe Vagana (18)
    Stacey Jones (24)
    Frano Botica (27)
    Mark Horo (30)
    Awen Guttenbeil (33)
    Jerry Seuseu (50)
    Monty Betham (61)
    Boycie Nelson (70)
    Jason Temu (89)
    Jerome Ropati (108)
    Shannon Stowers (116)
    Steve Price (121)
    Ruben Wiki (123)

along with Sir Peter Leitch.

It’s not too late for old boys to be involved. Any wishing to attend please email This email is not visible to you.

• Plans are already advanced for a special 20th anniversary reunion next season. All Former Players are invited to register their details in the club’s database for old boys. For further information please contact This email is not visible to you.
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• List