Team List Rnd 26 Vrs Panthers + Pre Match Discussion

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by tajhay, Sep 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Five players are poised to finish the NRL regular having played every match of the season. Nathan Friend, Sam Tomkins, Simon Mannering, Jacob Lillyman and Suaia Matagi will make it match number 24 against the Panthers at Sportingbet Stadium this Sunday (8.30pm-NZT).

In the only change to the team, Feleti Mateo returns to an extended bench after an impressive outing for the NSW Cup side. Head Coach Andrew McFadden was happy with his efforts against the North Sydney Bears at Mount Smart Stadium last Sunday.

“He really made a statement there, and that’s what he needed to do. He went back, he took it in the right way and he performed. So he’s certainly someone we can use on the weekend,” said McFadden.

The Vodafone Warriors go into the last round of the regular season just outside the top eight, in 9th position. Taking away all other mathematical equations a win over Penrith will see the NRL side play finals footy for the first time since 2011.

Last time these two sides met back in round 16 the Vodafone Warriors came from 16-12 down at half time to storm home 30-20.

Back in Auckland, over 600 members and fans will pack out the SKYCITY theatre, cheering the team on as they watch the match via the theatre’s big screen. This is free event hosted by the club’s membership team and emceed by corporate manager Gordon Gibbons. The night will include a Q&A with club legends, prize draws and spot prizes.

When: Sunday 7 September 7.00pm-10.30pm
    Where: SKYCITY theatre (parking available at the SKYCITY hotel)
    Entry: FREE (Registeration required)
    Facilities: Dedicated cash bar facilities will be available throughout the evening
    Kick-off: NRL kick-off 8.30pm
    Prizes: Spot prizes will be awarded on the evening including SKYCITY food and beverage vouchers.
    Register: This email is not visible to you.

Vodafone Warriors V PENRITH PANTHERS
    Sportingbet Stadium, Penrith
    6.30pm (AEST), Sunday, September 7

Vodafone Warriors
    1 Sam Tomkins
    2 Ngani Laumape
    3 Konrad Hurrell
    4 Dominique Peyroux
    5 Manu Vatuvei
    6 Thomas Leuluai
    7 Shaun Johnson
    8 Jacob Lillyman
    9 Nathan Friend
    10 Ben Matulino
    11 Ben Henry
    12 Simon Mannering (c)
    13 Sione Lousi

Interchange:
    14 Sam Rapira
    15 Suaia Matagi
    16 Sebastine Ikahihifo
    17 Jayson Bukuya
    20 Feleti Mateo

HEAD COACH: Andrew McFadden

2. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

Happy with the team. Would probably prefer Mateo in the team in place of Ikahihifo.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  3. Ever Hopeful
    Join:
    Feb 24, 2013

Ever Hopeful 1st Grade Fringe Contributor

I wonder what Cappy's instructions to Mateo were? I gathered he dropped him for defence and presence, yet he goes down and plays as a ball-playing, half-like 2nd rower. Cappy is then happy with his effort and I'm left confused??

I'd love to know where Lolohea's & Nielsen's progress is at.

One thing is certain; Locke would have had a LOT of game time this year

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  4. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

Whoes the back up if our English Jesus goes down btw ?

Benry/Peyroux to fullback?

5. Matulino#1
    Join:
    May 10, 2012

Matulino#1 1st Grade Fringe

Pretty much what I was expecting.

Mateo will play in place of Bakuya or Seb.

I'd drop Seb but I think they will drop Bukuya

6. wallacenz
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

wallacenz Warriors 1st Grader

Hopefully, 'your first job is to run hard and tackle strong'

7. Far North Forever
    Join:
    Mar 5, 2013

Far North Forever 1st Grade Fringe

Laumape goes to FB, Benry goes to Centre Konny or Peyroux to wing.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Far Away Fan
    Join:

Far Away Fan Guest

So what does Chad Townsend have to do, then?

The NSW Cup side of which both he and Mateo were part took the Rabbits reserves apart. And he kicked 100%.

He "really made a statement there".

• List

9. mcdenda
    Join:
    Mar 19, 2014

mcdenda Warriors Bench Player

SJ can play fullback

• List
  10. stacky18
    Join:
    Aug 14, 2013

stacky18 1st Grade Fringe

Your not the only one.
    Mateo needs to spend more than one game in reserves to get his shit together. He needs a month in my book.
    I reckon Cappy feels he has no choice, its must win on sunday and he wants that experience and talent there. He knows that a Mateo that is on fire is unstoppable, but an average Mateo is a passenger.
    A three way dance between Bukuya, Seb and Feleti for the last 2 spots on the bench. I reckon Bukuya will miss out for Mateo.
    Other than that the team is fine.
    I also think it needs to be made clear that Chad has had a season to cement his spot and he failed. He is done guys, he is injury cover.
    Chad had around 20 games to show he belongs as a starting half, and he couldn't do it. There's a reason he only played 19 games in 3 years in Cronulla and the Sharks let him leave, he is not as good as some of you believe.
    TL is no major talent but he bleeds rugby league. He is one of our toughest players and I doubt we have many that work harder than him.

• List
  11. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

¿N. ig-mah¿ Warriors 1st Grader

He is so tough, he can take 2 tackles to get on side.
    He is so tough, he can be the last player on side.
    He is so tough, he can use his feet instead of his arms to stop tries.
    He is so tough, he doesn't even need as much space between his eyes as everyone else.

On Mateo, I find it fascinating that Cappy said last week that his demotion was not based on one game, but repeated bad form, yet 1 week is enough to turn that around?

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

Get photos of Tommy leaving the TAB?

13. Stone
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Stone 1st Grade Fringe

Pretty solid looking lineup, its good to see Cappy sticking with the formula of not changing a winning team

I agree that Mateo should slot in for either Bukuya or Ikahihifo, i personally would keep Bukuya over Ikahihifo, purely for his greater experience, which counts for a lot in these big games

There's no doubt that its going to be a very tough assignment at the foot of the Blue Mountains, the Panthers have been solid at home this year, dropping only 2 matches against the Storm & the Bunnies & they'll more than likely be very keen to perform so they can cement a top 4 finish, I personally would be reminding the boys, as extra motivation, that we more than owe the Panthers a bit of utu for one of the darkest days in Warriors history, being the 64-6 hiding they put on us last year, but that's just how i think ;)

I believe if the Warriors are to pull this off, then they really need to look at this as a statement type game, not just because a victory obviously increases our chances of getting in the 8, but also because if we genuinely want to give it a shake if we get into the finals, then we need momentum

So if we can not only win this game, but win it well, then i would go as far to say, that every other team left standing, will be extremely nervous at the prospect of having to play us, because lets face it, we are by far the most unpredictable team in the NRL & if we can gain some confidence & get on a roll, then on our day we are more than capable of beating any other team in this competition & those skippy's know it ... conversely its also a distinct possibility, as history would tell us, that the Warriors are more than susceptible to falling apart under pressure, so I guess it all comes down to a case of which Warriors team turns up on the day, lets hope its the right one

GO THE WARRIORS

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  14. Evil_Mush
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Evil_Mush Warriors Bench Player

I won't lie, that made me laugh.

• List
  15. Far North Forever
    Join:
    Mar 5, 2013

Ever since Chads missus moved over to NZ he has been average, that must mean he won't do extras cause he has to get home before Konny visits and eats all his biscuits or he's lost his zip due to lack of jizz. But he was always a poor mans Tommy.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  16. OMG
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

OMG Warriors 1st Grader

This is a statement that would be unfair to an average club player let alone someone that has played a shit load of NRL.. Whether you like him at the moment or not it doesn't matter he has put his hand up plenty of times, including this year, I can point you to plenty of tackles where he has got his shoulders in good..
    We sure have some dummies in the team, but I still wouldn't say any of them are soft except maybe CarFloss, but even he has good moments..

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 7
    • List
  17. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

The original post I was replying to was just as inaccurate as my post. He is not one of our toughest and doesn't work harder than most. He hasn't looked that dedicated to the cause in any of his games this year. His last appearance showed a real lack of effort, especially in his slow return to on side, and some weak tackling.

And I wouldn't say Leuluai has played "a shitload of NRL". He is not the experienced player we keep hearing about. He has only played just over 50 games. Chad is only 20 odd games behind him. Leuluai's career spans approx. 280 games but 188 were for Wigan and 38 for the London Broncos. So, if ESL is a far inferior comp, then his experience is nearly worthless.

18. Far North Forever
    Join:
    Mar 5, 2013

We win on Sunday because we have a better lineup and we will not choke like last year. I am so Confident I'm putting my GF airfare money on them.

19. davewjnz
    Join:
    Mar 10, 2013

davewjnz 1st Grade Fringe

SJ Vs JS?

Hope Shaun doesn't bring a knife to this gun fight.

Actually, I hope Shaun has taken note of a couple of significant changes that have taken place over the last month or two.
    1. JT being moved back to 7 for the cowboys
    2. Soward being moved to 7 for Penrith
    Both injury forced I know but the coaches have seen the benefits of moving these two players to the Number 7 spot. Both are their respective teams primary play makers who are able to control and direct play better from 7 then 6. A master stroke by Paul Green on JT where Ivan has followed suit with Soward.

Now you have Cronk, Soward and Thurston who have stand offs playing a secondary role to their number 7s in their respective teams.

Do we need to follow suit with SJ or are we better suited to having a shared role? Or, is this what Shaun should be doing anyway!?
    Of course it should be the later so I hope to hell Shaun has taken notice.

This is going to be a massive game so i hope the Warriors shows up. I have a feeling they will and that they'd still be feeling dirty over the Roosters game.
    As a Warriors fan though, its hard to feel confident after that Roosters game. As a Warriors fan though, I know if they bring their A game its bye bye Panthers.

Lets Go SJ, give that little shit hell!

• List
  20. Far North Forever
    Join:
    Mar 5, 2013

Dude you have some serious TL hate going on, I can understand you wanting your man to be in instead off him, I get that, but sheesh some of your vitriol isn't warranted and just down right mean.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 11
    • List

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.