Rugby Leagues Memory Lane

Discussion in 'Other Footy (ESL/NSW/Qld Cup)' started by bruce, Aug 8, 2017.

1. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

and then there was this guy:
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    He was a genuine hard bastard.

2. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Hardyman's Yugo 1st Grade Fringe

What gave him a head start was probably being the ugliest player ever to pull on an RL shirt, up against some stiff competition:D:D As a player he was before my time but I met him once, he served me a pint when I was a student.
    How far back are we going Bruce? Can you recall Dick Huddart and Brian Edgar playing for GB or is that before your time?

3. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Excuse me while I wipe the tears of nostalgia brother. I was a kid then.

They were in the 1962 team that beat the Kangaroos 2 -1 in the series in Australia. Imagine that these days? Australia was a three day sail by steamship back then so I didn't get to go over:(.

However I saw all their games at Carlaw Park, including the game against Auckland. The Kiwi side won the series and Auckland beat them as well.

Carlaw Park was standing room only. The atmosphere was bloody electric. It was like an English ground where you could see and hear everything. Those Chooms were the real deal and for the Kiwi sides to beat them was very special.

That shows how very strong international and Auckland rugby league was back then.

4. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Sounds good. I asked because they are probably the two most famous RL players to come out of Cumbria and I grew up on tales of both from older family members. My Dad played county schools RU with Edgar and Dick Huddarts son was the year below me at school.
    Mods may need to move this to a nostalgia corner:D

5. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

If I can include Tommy Bishop as being from Cumbria. I know he is from St Helens but he did two stints at Barrow. It is also relevant because he was in a flood of Chooms to play in Sydney during the 1970's. That shows how strong the English game was. I don't think the money was any better down under but the weather sure was.

The first time I saw Tommy Bishop play was at Carlaw Park in 1966. it was Great Britain v the Kiwis. I was lucky because my father got us seats right behind the bleachers on the old wooden stand. In those days the coaches and reserves used to have areas on the bleachers cordoned off for them beside the players tunnel. Our seats were right behind where the Chooms were sitting. I need an interpreter to understand the accents but geez it was exciting. The coaches and players were non stop at the referee and touch judges...and they were winning!!

Tommy Bishop wasn't very tall. I think the program said 5'2", and that would have been with his studs on. He had a serious disagreement with one of the Kiwi front row. I remember he leaped off the ground to try and punch him, and he still couldn't reach him! He was a cocky little guy but tough as nails, he had to be.

The Chooms won that series two nil, but as usual they had a much tougher game against Auckland and only won by a point in the last minute.

It is so sad what has happened to the international game.

6. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

Not quite from when dinosaurs roamed but some will remember Sam Stewart from the 80's:

Ex-Kiwis league star guilty of assault

A former New Zealand rugby league international has pleaded guilty to assaulting a model-turned-actress he was having an affair with.

Sam Stewart, 54, was sentenced to a two-year good behaviour bond at Southport Magistrates Court on the Gold Coast on Thursday after pleading guilty to the assault charge.

The court heard Stewart and his then-mistress Erin Connor, a model who also appeared in several Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. shows and movies, had agreed to end their relationship at a meeting in a Broadbeach park in January 2016.

After the meeting Ms Connor ran off with Stewart's phone and some money, resulting in the former Newcastle Knights player chasing her and tackling her.

Ms Connor suffered bruising during the incident.

Stewart, who played 18 times for the Kiwis in the 1980s, admitted the force he'd used to tackle Ms Connor was excessive.

Stewart will be required to pay $2000 if he breaches the bond.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

7. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

GB legend Alex Murphy naming his top 13, mostly people he played with for St Helens and GB, including with his trademark modesty himself at 7:D:D

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

8. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Brilliant post brother.

He names himself the best half backo_O, but to be fair he was very good indeed.

He was a dirty little shite though. He did a filthy tackle on Ken Stirling during the 1971 test series in England. Ken is a lovely guy and gutsy as, but was never dirty so there was no need for Murphy to do that. He was showing his age by then and the Kiwis, especially Ken Stirling, had the better of the Chooms in that series. So he was just a dirty little shite and a sore loser.

I counted his team and there are only 3 non Englishmen:rolleyes:. One of those, Tom Van Hollenhoven played for St Helens even though he was South African so his selection is seriously one eyed.

Having said that every player he named was genuine world class including your heroes Edgar and Huddart. It shows how strong English rugby league was back then.

A bit of trainspotting. He was a star in schoolboy league so there was a race on to sign him when he turned 16. One of the Yorkshire clubs wanted him so planned to get to his parents house early in the morning of his birthday. St Helens beat them to it by smuggling him away from his home to a safe house and signing him at midnight:D.

9. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Mention of Tony Kemp and Doncaster in another thread reminded me of this, an outstandingly funny TV documentary on probably the worst team ever to take the field as 'professionals'. Part 1 here and all other parts available on youtube, well worth watching:

10. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Are you trying to tell us the Warriors aren't that bad?:D

11. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

Murphy also conned the referee in a Wembley final, allegedly anyhow

12. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

THe opinion of a good Salford lad about the five toughest players he has encountered. Number five is well worth a look for Mount Wellington.;)

13. Hardyman's Yugo
    Join:
    Jun 2, 2017

I've watched almost all of those '5 toughest' interviews now. At least half of them mention Joe Vagana

14. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

Some of you older posters will remember the very good Otahuhu, Ellerslie and Ponsonby teams of the 70's.
    They would have this lot for breakfast

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  15. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

Heyzuess! Don't get him started!

16. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

Things have been too quiet the possum needs to be stirred LOL

17. Dave Brough
    Join:
    Jan 24, 2014

Dave Brough 1st Grade Fringe

You can go back to 2ND half of the 60s,Otahuhu,Ellerslie and Ponsonbywere probaby even better,leading
    On from the district competition in the early 60s.
    I must be getting bloody old,I remember watching Henry Maxwell Joe Ratima and Cliff Johnson playing late 50s.

18. Pozza
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Pozza 1st Grade Fringe

My late father was the Chairman of Southern Districts. I have a photo of that team which won the district comp
    that year. They beat Parramatta that year as well. Simon Yates was the Capt.

19. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

Back last century many Auckland players, including Kiwis, worked on the rubbish trucks. They were very fit players as well. It isn't as silly as it sounds, actually I am very impressed. I wonder if any of our rock stars would consider it.:rolleyes:

20. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

What? And risk damaging their X-Box gaming fingers? Not bloody likely!!!!!