Shaun Johnson

1. OMG
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

OMG Warriors 1st Grader

Great story, aint no secret I think so..
    Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
    WE all know he has an abundance of flair. But Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. half Shaun Johnson is now proving he has the toughness and level head to go with it as he strives to be the leading halfback in the NRL.

And he has received the backing of the best Kiwi No.7 of them all, with Stacey Jones insisting the 23-year-old is now the complete package. Jones says toughness was the final piece of the Johnson puzzle and he now has all the tools to enter the realm of greats.
    Johnson played with a groin strain in the Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.’ 24-16 win against the Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. last Saturday and then battled through an ankle injury to steer his side to victory.
    “He is definitely showing a new toughness and that completes the package,” Jones says.
    “He has the ability to read the play, the speed, the flair. . . he could become one of the great halves.
    “Let’s not forget he is still only 23 and his best footy is still ahead of him.
    “I spoke to him last week and he was filthy on himself for not winning us the game against the Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. in round 10. That shows the hard edge he has developed to his game.”
    Johnson reveals how new coach Andrew McFadden, a former halfback himself in his NRL playing days, laid it on the line to him about what he expects from  his chief playmaker.
    “‘Cappy’ (McFadden) is straight to the point and he really gives it to me, which is what I need,” Johnson says.
    “He understands that I am a different style of player to what he was, but he is getting the best out of me every week. He said he doesn’t expect me to score the flashy 100 metre tries or take intercepts. But he does expect me to be in every play in every game, and to play tough.
    “You get a good indicator of how every NRL side is going by how the halfback is performing.
    “I am getting there, and the team is really starting to find its feet.”
    McFadden hails Johnson’s toughness and says the Kiwi Test half has taken his advice on board.
    “Shaun didn’t have any training sessions until our last captain’s run, and for young players that can sometimes really put them off,” he says. “So to go out and perform like that against the Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. under duress was really special.
    “Sometimes you have to play hurt, and it is good to see him doing that.
    “Shaun gets judged on whether he scores tries and makes breaks. But we really focused on the simple things that make him a good player, which is getting his hands on the ball and finding ways to get into the game through basic things like support play . . . and just running when the team needs him to.
    “On the back of that comes all the things that people love to see, but we just want a consistent effort from him each week.”
    Johnson has made no secret of the fact he wants to be one of the great halfbacks and McFadden is backing him every step of the way.
    “Shaun wants to be the best. He is determined to do that, and I want to help him get there,” McFadden says.
    “He is a real student. He likes talking about halfback play and how to develop that. He is very skilful and talented, but he still needs that direction.”
    Johnson insists playing through injury is a necessity for him if the Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. are to reach their potential.
    “I want to be out there every week with the boys, and be part of something that I think can be pretty special,” Johnson says. “No NRL player takes the field 100 per cent. It is just the nature of what is a really tough comp.
    I didn’t have any needles. That probably would have made it worse.”
    - JOEL GOULD & TONY ADAMS

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List

2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington ABOVE THE LINE

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  3. Freddie Futler
    Join:
    Jun 10, 2013

Freddie Futler 1st Grade Fringe

The change in Johnson this year is brilliant and he is now showing the ability that many saw in him but only showed up one game in ten.
    Good on Cappy, but also feel that Sammy and Chad have helped him with their professionalism/

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Yeah I jump on the Johnson band wagon ever year at seasons start, thinking year will be it.......always ends in tears......... but not this year ! This is it..........the coming of the mantis

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Offtopic Offtopic x 1
    • List
  5. Fazz
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Fazz 1st Grade Fringe

Johnson has actually been one of our more consistent players from round one in my opinion. He's had a few quiet games, but no major howlers and his decision making is growing in leaps and bounds. It's pretty much all you can ask for from a half. He's actually pulling off some excellent tackles too. He got rolled by Taylor, but that guy is massive and Johnson at least didn't duck out of the way.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  6. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

well except when he did duck out of the way that time. But besides the point. He is starting to fulfill the promise so many made about him. Funny thing is that ive heard 3 times these sort of sentiment being spoken about a Warriors Player, one was Locke, one was the Fish, and he was the other. The other 2 both taken out by injuries before anything was proven either way, SJ is taking his opportunities and running with them.

Does anyone know how the Daley M points are awarded, cause atm hes running on 6 points (? or 6th equal i dont know) with Josh Reynolds running at the top with 13. I expected him to be further up?

• List
  7. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

¿N. ig-mah¿ Warriors 1st Grader

I have been one of Johnson's harshest critics. Until this year, I felt that apart from freak plays, Johnson hadn't even hinted at reaching his potential.

My change of heart has come with Johnson's apparent maturation this year. He has spoken in interviews about him taking personal responsibility for loses the team have had this year. He has also condemned his own performances, even when I thought he went well. To me, he appears to be making himself a senior player, and putting the pressure on himself to perform in all aspects of his game, rather than coasting (as he is probably able to do, at times). This has been more stand-out than his on-field perfomances.

Not a kid anymore.

• List
  8. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

There has definitely been a step up in his performances this year in terms of consistency. The gaps between his worst performances and his best performance is a lot smaller than the howlers and the blinders we have seen the last two years.

This years he's had quiet games but not as bad as some we have seen.

From what he is saying in the media it sounds like he's determined to not waste his talent. If he reaches his potential we will be in for some good times.:D

• List

9. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

To me it looked like a lot of his 'quiet' games were spent on defence. That's where that fullah looks most focused all of the time out there, keeping reasonable tackle counts.

There has been a lot of time spent sorting out an understanding with Tomkins and Townsend , a lot of that stuff is getting along with your team mates , everyone feeling confident and not working on their own.

Johnsons fit into the new trio really well. We might get lucky and these dudes hit fifth gear soon and that's it till one of them gets injured or leaves the club.

There were very promising signs when Chad did his show and go....the outsides were racing up in support.....got held back....should have been sent off.

But that read of Chads show and go is a team that is maturing.

Support runners.

• List
  10. SBC183
    Join:
    Sep 9, 2013

SBC183 U20's Player

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  11. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

He will be a great.

That's the good news.....injury willing. Right now I'd have him up with a player Like Henry Paul a game winner with magic and a good brain for League.

He's not Stacey Jones yet or Benji Marshall.

Bit early to use Great today.....just in my opinion of what great represents. Dominant in his position in the NRL ? Number one half / two half in the game......nearly.....not quite though.....Marshall and Jones at least had a season where they were arguably number one or two......when Johnsons pushed two of these players : Evans Thurston Cronk.......out of the way he'll be there......two halves to beat and he's a great.

Next year maybe....probably....very excited about Johnsons future.

• List
  12. Sebastian
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Sebastian 1st Grade Fringe

As silly as this sounds coming from me who has rated Shaun all this time. I didn't really think he was SUCH a good player. Like i knew he had freakish ability and a lightning speed and step. But such intelligence, such foresight and brains. The reads he was making should have resulted in points.

But was ignorantly ignored to the detriment of the result. Our hookers have the responsiblity to listen to the playmakers. The hookers have the right to take heed to make a run or dive over from dummy half. But unless they have a special role like Cam Smith or Robbie Farah.

They have NO business dictating play. I'll assume it was a random mistake and occasion. But they better get their act together. TL AND Friend. Quick smart. If we are ever to go anywhere in this comp we need our hookers following the every word of our playmakers.

As they can foresee the unfolding play. If the couldn't they'd be in reserve grade. If it continues we must search for proper hookers who'll abide by their masters. The halves.

As for Shaun, well, we have a chess master in the making. And its crucial to his development he recieves the proper service of his team. To help illuminate his special abilities. And never have i believed Shaun has had a bigger future.

We have a potential great. We as a team must make sure he evolves into that great. Its our undertaking. And i'll just end with what a splendid job the Capster has done. Never have i seen Shaun in such life, in such command of his troops. Shaun will owe part of success to Cappy. Of that you can be sure.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  13. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz 1st Grade Fringe

Bossy little bastard aint he? (Its a good thing) can see future captain material there

• List
  14. OMG
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

OMG Warriors 1st Grader

TBH Bro that is far more than I expected at this stage in his development, just when everyone was tipping Benry for next Captain including me, wow that was impressive, SJ should be the next Captain, its actually unbelievable that he is so vocal, who'd have thunk it, we've been misled..lol
    We don't have the Senior leadership we thought we had, I have had an issue with Senior players in the past but thought we were close and it confirmed for me what I thought was happening in that game, I'm also more impressed with the combination of SJ and Sam after listening to that.
    I welcome Hoffman even more now..

• List
  15. shuffle
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

shuffle 1st Grade Fringe

It was like Johnson was the captain in that game. Its quite funny seeing a pissed off Shaun Johnson. Very vocal. He should be our next captain.

• List
  16. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

We are known to be a quiet team so it was good to see our half back constantly telling everyone what he wants.

That little interchange with Matagi was a thing of beauty; "Roll with me"; Matagi takes his hit up and passes before the line Johnson puts Henry through a gap.

Loved the instructions with the forwards on running on the outside shoulder, or this line and the playing out the 6. He's been showing this year he is starting to mature; feeling confident the club is trending in the right direction just need to start the seasons better.

Hopefully next year we can get another one of our players miked up either the other half, one of our hookers, Mannering or Tomkins.

• List
  17. hman
    Join:
    Feb 4, 2013

hman 1st Grade Fringe

Friendy and Tommy, when SJ wants the ball, you give him the bloody ball!

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  18. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

Watching that view of it, now really annoys me Thaiday wasn’t binned, was going to be a try for sure.

Gotta love Mannerings eloquence SJ: “This is our test now”, SM: “asgfsg, f-ckin, fsetudhfa”

An unedited cut of one of those would be gold, they (or the warriors PR dept) were pretty kind to him, no missed tackle footage.

• List
  19. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

So it's official, SJ is the man leading our attack...

• List
  20. Boats n Hoes
    Join:
    May 14, 2012

Boats n Hoes 1st Grade Fringe

As I said in the game day thread, I think Freindy hadn't taken his earplugs out from training.

To his defence though I bet if Chad had been miked up you probably would have been hearing him screaming for the pill as well, or maybe he had already sorted something with Friendy pre SJs call. That said, game on the line, a "hot" call from Johnson (especially with Tomkins out his side) should supercede everything.

Hopefully this latest insight should help to dispel a few myths about Johnson. Especially his "lack of organising" or "greedy and selfish" calls that seem to go his way. Tbh I think the biggest one we get with him "falls in and out of games" is largely a myth as well. Particulary when the team are turning the ball over, or giving away penalties in which we are camped either defending or coming off our line for large periods of a game, seems to give the impression he's not involved. Tbh it's largely the job of the team to get SJ and Tomkins into the right areas of the field for them to strut.

What I took away from that broadcast at just how seamless Shaun can go from pre meditating plays to playing what unfolds in front of him.....along with his talent and skill that's what makes him the jewel in the Warriors crown IMO.

As an unabashed SJ fan barring Melbourne, Manly, and maybe the Cowboys and Brisbane, I would imagine he'd be the most wanted player from our club.

That said though it wasn't one of his better games on the weekend. He's never going to be defensive giant but I'd thought this season he had set himself a standard with his defense at least making the tackles he's expected to make.....thought he let himself down with that a bit against the Broncs.
    A champion though for mine.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List