Shaun Johnson

1. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Sydney papers write articles for Sydney fans, they don't tend to make a habit of talking up the Warriors chances with regards to anything - Johnson recently being ranked 6th best halfback by the Telegraph an example (although perhaps I'm just biased).

That aside my (pretty limited) discussions with people 'in the know' would suggest that there isn't a whole heap of discretion applied when it comes to NRL contracts & signings. I've had board members of clubs happy to tell me exactly how much certain players are paid. One time I even heard how a board had voted on whether to offer their first grade captain a contract extension & that it only got through by 1 vote. Based on the lack of reporting on Foran & the Warriors I would give the chances of any of the related 'intel' that I've read here about a 0.001% chance of being accurate.

2. Fazz
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Fazz 1st Grade Fringe

Do you happen to have a link to that? I'd love to see who they have above him. At a guess DCE, Thurston, Cronk, Hunt, Reynolds?

3. Sebastian
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Sebastian 1st Grade Fringe

Hunt over Johnson. GTFO!!

Johnson. Took his team to the Grand Final almost single handedly in his first season. Johnson took his team with the help of his dope forward pack to a Four Nations Title. With tries against the best including making GI look like a fool. Johnson a freak who lights up the field every time his forwards show up to play. Johnson who has a highlight reel that matches the best in the game. Arguably the best highlight reel in the game.

Hunt. Well, he's done diddly squat.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 11
    • List
  4. Ozwarrior
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2014

Ozwarrior 1st Grade Fringe Contributor

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

This was the article about halfbacks.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  5. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Interesting that SJ is coming second in the readers poll for best half back behind Thurstan...

6. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

Jay M Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Pearce and Hunt are a bit overrated. I think SJ, Hodkinson and Adam Reynolds are all better players...

If you put SJ behind the Roosters or Broncos packs... he would shit all over Pearce and Hunt. Hodkinson and Reynolds are probably better too IMO, but already play behind beastly packs ;).

It's actually a BIG sign of respect for SJ that he makes the top 6, given the platform he often has to work from... Rationale? JT - monster pack, decent service from dummy half. Cronk - decent pack, incredibly well drilled, great service from dummy half. DCE - good pack, good service from dummy half, also has the luxury of playing with a great five eighth. Pearce - monster pack, good service from dummy half, good five eighth to take pressure off. Hunt - great pack, good service etc. Hodkinson/Reynolds - decent/good service - monster packs...

so kudos there to SJ.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  7. bunnyglory
    Join:
    Oct 6, 2014

bunnyglory U20's Player

wasn't that a year after he helped take the Warriors to a Grand Final! and 3 Coach's later...

• List
  8. Haydos
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Haydos 1st Grade Fringe

The article is based on 2014 performances...NRL games.
    I can't argue with the list..hunt was all class this year, Johnson in and out of games

• List

9. Fazz
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Fazz 1st Grade Fringe

I'm not saying that is my opinion. Just taking a swing at what the Aussies think.

To be honest, I look at that list and aside from Thurston at the Cowboys, you chuck Johnson into The Storm, Sea Eagles, Broncos or Roosters, and they're immediately a more dangerous team.

Hunt ranking at 4th is just asinine though. As you've said, he's done precisely FUCK and ALL as a halfback. Their big point in the article is how "well" he did as a utility in a rep team. That's like patting Lewis Brown on the back and saying he's the 4th best hooker in the world for tearing Aussie up in one game. Stupid, stupid list.

Then why does Hunt's paragraph crap on and on about the 4N? If we're considering the entire year, Johnson utterly dominating an international tournament should be worth more than Ben Hunt coming off the bench and scoring a few tries (in a beaten team) or snagging the Broncos a few wins. I'm sure if you looked at the amount of games won by Johnson vs the amount of games won by Hunt, it would show Johnson does more to create wins than his Broncos counterpart.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  10. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-| Contributor

Nothing to do with recruitment but if it makes yous feel better Johnson was 4th bestest halfback in the NRL top 50 poll, behind DCE, thurston and cronk. Thought that was a tad generous at the time but the 4 nations proved them right.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• List
  11. Sebastian
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Of course not bro. Taking a shot at El Raggo. Hunt isn't even good enough to rep his country as half. And has only recently shown ANY form. He has been around for longer than people think. And was under Prince and Wallace. And couldn't do shit to displace them. He debuted WAY back in 2009. And stuttered and buttered his way from 1st grade to reserves and back again. Playin utility, hooker and once in a blue moon in the halves. Shaky is the word i would use to describe his career up until very, very recently. Even then his form has been widly, widly over blown. Decent, yes. OK, yes. Good even in some games. But great or at Shaun's level. GTFO. Honestly hand on heart Shaun is the second best half in the comp and only Thurston matches him or outplays him. I have long suspected so but this Four Nations behind a quality pack and then Shaun ripping it up silly just hammered it home. To me anyway. Only Thurston can be argued as being a better player. DCE has a joke of rep career. Without his Manly influence he's a duck out of water. Where as Shaun rises and has been rising everytime he dons the black and white jersey. Now after a quality pack he has destroyed the best in the world. And he deserves, IMO, second billing for that and that alone.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  12. t-wade23
    Join:
    Jun 7, 2012

t-wade23 1st Grade Fringe

I'm sorry but have to disagree here Shaun imo is not the 2nd best halve in the game his game in the big moments has gone missing big time he doesn't have that killer instinct for whatever reason at club level granted the level of talent around him Is not the same but on paper it's not like the Warriors are scrubs they have some talented players around him.

Even since his rookie year all he has done in the NRL has missed the top 8 three of four years in first grade. To me if you wanna be mentioned in the same breath as Thurston you got to do at both Club and Rep footy.

Just look at that last Penrith game this year for example biggest game of the year win you get in the top 8 he does nothing in that game no direction no talking nothing.

He is as talented a player I have ever seen but until he proves himself a consistent NRL footy player he doesn't belong in the same sentence as Thurston or Foran or anyone else that's better

• List
  13. Sebastian
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Well we disagree. Don't ya love democracy!.. Nah jokes, seriously Shaun needs a pack. And every time we get spanked in the forwards against Souths & Doggies i refuse, simply refuse to blame Shaun. Sorry i will never blame Shaun for our mediocre pack. Its the critical, critical factor IMO. And why i am pushing for Manu into the pack so we have guaranteed meterage every time Manu runs up the middle. If we had a great pack Manu would stay where he is and Shaun would be judged by myself. We don't. That IMO needs to be highly taken into account. I've watched every game this season and IMO every, every time our forwards matched or dominated Shaun has torn shreds or at the least has matched his opposite. Shaun is the second best halfback in the comp. I'll say it again. We have a mid table pack though. And when that changes, people will see what i see in Shaun right now. CLASS.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    • List
  14. Jay M
    Join:
    Sep 25, 2012

Jay M Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

good post but, I disagree that we have a mid table pack... I'd say on the back of the last couple of seasons form... our pack is in the bottom half of the table, sitting somewhere between 10th and 12th...

sure we have our good days in the forwards... but they're too rare and infrequent...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 9
    • List
  15. brightman
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

brightman 1st Grade Fringe

Are you the knucklehead who called for SJ to play centre?

16. GazrethW
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2013

GazrethW Warriors Bench Player

People are too quick to blame the halves for a teams attacking problems. Generally when a half goes missing in a big game it's because they have absolutely no platform. How many can actually create something from nothing with regularity? Thurston and Cronk certainly don't. Does somebody need to be Andrew Johns to be considered good enough?

• List
  17. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

¿N. ig-mah¿ Warriors 1st Grader

The fact that SJ doesn't have the pack to put him in the top few halves still holds him below that line. Saying it isn't his fault doesn't change his rank. I could be the best half in the NRL if I was 20 years younger, faster, quicker thinking, more agile, weighed less, had any league talent whatsoever, and had a dominating forward pack. But until that happens, I am not in that list. The same goes for any half with a coach who isn't the best.

And now you are almost blaming Manu, because he isn't playing in the forwards?

• List
  18. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

¿N. ig-mah¿ Warriors 1st Grader

Nobody is saying Johnson isn't good enough, just that he has not reached the pinnacle level yet. And that won't ever happen until our forwards are doing a good job. Blame them, absolutely, but don't rank SJ based on a pipe-dream.

19. Jordan G
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2012

Jordan G Warriors 1st Grader

Couldn't care less about rankings, but do get a little bored with the whole "SJ goes missing in big games" thing that seems to get trotted out a little too often.

• List
  20. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Thurston deserves top spot.
    Cronks a great player but when slaters not there he never looks the same.
    Dce plays for himself too much- I rate SJ over him.
    Hunt and Pearce are a step behind that lot IMO.

• List