Shaun Johnson

1. YeahNah 4020
    Join:
    Aug 6, 2017

YeahNah 4020 1st Grade Fringe

Agree bro, I’m an SJ fan and it is sad to see a decline, deep down I await in hope it’s a bad case of mental demons and with Corvo pulling the strings, there maybe still a chance to unlock the speed!

2. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

i always found it amazing as a Manu supporter that everyone would only focus on his faults and ignore his values. But here i see the reverse, and all i see is people using there simple little brains to look at the few times he chimes in during a game, and ignoring the many many times he doesnt. Look i dont know if its coaching or what, but at his payscale some of us think we deserve to see more. If however you are prepared to sit back and accept the results of the last 6 years as acceptable, then all power to you. Personally i want the teams best paid player to lead and drive the team, not just play superstar when he feels the desire.

Like all the players on the team i want to see more from him

3. gREVUS
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

gREVUS Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies

I wonder if its a bit like that stat about the kicking where we were discussing it last year. If i remember it rightly it was about kick meters. And he was right up there. But in that discussion we came to a conclusion that it doesnt include effectiveness.

In this case i wonder if you looked at how many attacking plays he is involved in as the last or second to last player that doesnt score tries and then compared them to other top halves in the comp how he would come off.

i personally have always believed that the warriors have a bad habbit of picking one player to solve all their problems, this is why i harp on about teamwork or team first. They have always been at their best when there is more than one option on attack, however that doesnt happen very often. From the kick it to Manu days, there has always appeared to be a focus in the team on getting it to that one individual rather than having that spread of talent where anyone could make things happen.

4. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito Warriors 1st Grader

It’s also an indisputable fact that the warriors are 17-25 in games Johnson has started since breaking his leg. What does him supplying the final pass when the team is already trailing 20-6 really mean in the scheme of things.

I know they are far worse without him, but that's the way they've built the team.

5. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

There are probably on average 14 players in any given round that I would list ahead of Johnson as being responsible for our losses. However that's not the point of my posts.

All I'm trying to highlight is that he remains the single most potent attacking weapon in our team. He may not be stepping through the opposition defence as frequently as what he use to, however he's refined his game to instead be more effective in creating try assists.

6. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

You think 14, that might be harsh. You only need one slack arse in an NRL game to cost you, we have way more than one, but 14 I don't know.

7. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

Ok to rephrase then - in a typical Warriors performance there are very few players that contribute more to the team than SJ. Even on a salary adjusted basis I would hold that view.

8. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

We always do.

9. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington TRUST THE PROCESS? Contributor

I've always had an issue with Shaun Johnson playing first receiver. Be very interested to see how he goes playing more second receiver this season with Blake Green. He should have always been playing this position as he did when in his first season...

10. Jimi Jones
    Join:
    Jan 26, 2014

Jimi Jones 1st Grade Fringe

I'd like to see him backing up the ball carriers .If Green can sort out the first receivers job

11. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

I'd like to see the whole spine do that!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. InsideBall
    Join:
    Oct 24, 2012

InsideBall Warriors 1st Grader

The crux of the problem with Shaun is this: he is a generational talent that been asked to perform a role that he is wholly unsuited to and inadequate at.

It was extremely interesting watching the trial, and listening to Blake Green. Hearing that Shaun is going to essentially be used like a second fullback, and then to watch it happen in the trial is actually a big deal. Shaun is not and will never be a halfback. It's just not his game. But, he is as good or better than anyone at spotting a weakness in a defensive line, and then having the actual ability to exploit it. Having someone like Blake, who will straighten the attack every time at first receiver, allowing Shaun to weigh his options is going to make (hopefully) a profound difference.

There was a real steadiness and maturity in Shaun's play and his combo with Blake that, if nothing else, is hopeful. This is the Warriors, so anything can happen, but it will be interesting to see how this plays out. It almost felt as though, in Green, we had a leader on the field for the first time in a long, long while.

13. Tragic
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2016

Tragic 1st Grade Fringe

Where are the stats on SJ having most try assists in the comp? I agree he is probably up there but neither NRL Stats or TotalFootyStats have him in top 5 for try assists in 2017?

14. Fazz
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Fazz 1st Grade Fringe

I don't want to say 'I told you so' but I've been waiting for a game like today since we last had a half decent pack ...

To all of the people saying SJ was the root cause of our problems and 'never tried', eat my arse. He isn't a perfect player, but he was on an absolute hiding to nothing ...

Prior to today, SJ was consistently behind a pack that was getting MURDERED, working with a halves partner (Loo Loo Eyes/Hingano/Foran) that did nothing to take last play pressure off him and dealing with backs that dropped everything that came near them.

What happens when the forwards fire and he's got a guy that he can rely on to reel off 40/20s? We start to see the magic of old. He starts running, he starts making good choices. Blake Green was absolutely what SJ needed. Somebody to rely on. Somebody capable of making clutch plays so that the other team is always guessing, rather than thinking 'Sick, shut down Johnson and we win'

Yes, it's only one game, but it's also the proof I needed to support my hypothesis that it's near impossible for a half to win a game single-handedly. Thurston can't do it. Cronk can't do it. Lockyer never had to. The only man that could turn a wooden spoon team into Premiers was the GOAT Andrew Johns.

I'm not saying 'OMG SJ FOR DAAAAAALLY EEEM' but this is a clear indicator that within a strong team, SJ is still capable of wrecking the opposition. It's a strong indicator that he's still my fucking boyyy.

15. YeahNah 4020
    Join:
    Aug 6, 2017

YeahNah 4020 1st Grade Fringe

It’s a team sport
    Not a one man show
    SJ with a support crew gets the gears pumping and the machine moving

Haters gunna hate but tonight SJ served up a mean as feed on a plate

Chew on that

16. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

I personally don't think it has much to do with a dominant pack cause we don't actually have one. The fact that he is finally playing second receiver is most likely the biggest contribution to SJ now having the room to move. Not just that he's second receiver but the way in which Blake Green compliments his style. Its Green thats freed him up.

Add to that the new Warriors attacking style with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck acting as a dummy runner or link and you only add more time and space for Johnson to move. Surprised it took Kearney so long to implement this as its exactly how he had SJ playing for the Kiwis.

Seasons prior we have seen SJ try play pivot which is just not suited to his special skills. Hopefully this is the blueprint for SJ going forward...

17. Fazz
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Fazz 1st Grade Fringe

I 100% agree

"Blake Green was absolutely what SJ needed. Somebody to rely on. Somebody capable of making clutch plays so that the other team is always guessing, rather than thinking 'Sick, shut down Johnson and we win'"

The forwards definitely improved, but it was all of the other options around SJ that freed him up. Not just Green, but Luke and RTS were chiming in more than they did last year. Luke because he's lost the gut and RTS because he's not draining his energy making up for the total lack of go-forward from the forwards. It's incredibly exciting to see our spine firing so early in the season. All four of them were dangerous and came up with clutch plays at various times. I can't remember the last time at least one of our 'big 4' wasn't a passenger or totally out of form.

Kind of bemusing that it's a 'journeyman' that's played a massive part in it and not the much ballyhoo'd Foran that we were all excited about. Obviously Corvo and the forward re-enforcements have played a hand, but Green has been huge for SJ.

18. Tragic
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2016

Tragic 1st Grade Fringe

Looks like he is getting some of the speed back as well so the planets are aligning.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  19. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

I thought he still missed a couple of opportunities to run.
    That one where he threw the near intercept, he was already through the line.
    I can't remember who put it down but if he got it, it would've been a try at the other end too.
    He still looks a bit gun shy but should take some confidence out of that game.
    Just needs to stay fit.

20. Snoopy
    Join:
    Aug 19, 2017

Snoopy 1st Grade Fringe

I thought SJ had a brilliant game. He looked sharp.