Shaun Johnson

1. theleagueguy
    Join:
    May 9, 2015

theleagueguy Warriors Bench Player

Johnson has a great combination with Bodene Thompson, 6 tries a season most for any forward for the Warriors the last three years. The Warriors play right & left halves. Hence why Hoffman & Mannering have scored more tries with Foran playing on that side of the ball. Foran has worked out that Sheck is the Ultimate decoy & he has also worked out the space for sheck is on the inside.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

So how is SJ expected to play behind these forwards.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2017
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  3. Whiteknight
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2016

Whiteknight NSW Cup Player

And therein lies the age old Warriors question...gets asked every season since 2012

• List
  4. Tragic
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2016

Tragic 1st Grade Fringe

i hear ya but my biggest bugbear with SJ is his last tackle options, Lino has been able to get more repeat sets in a few games than SJ has all year (dont look it up, I made that stat up). The pack has not gotten better since SJ got injured so he needs to sort out that part of his game or we need to keep Lino with Johnson at 6 and give Lino the ball when in the opposition 22 at the end of our set. Sorry Ata, but hang round coz SJ is bound to get injured.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  5. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

Mason Lino is an under rated player. He has always had a good kicking game close to the line, I just wondered how he would go with the faster line speed of FG. He is coping ok and will only get better. He might even be better than SJ at the short game. However Johnson has than lightning acceleration, top line speed and the high punt. So Lino is not better than SJ, but a handy partner or backup.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  6. Aman
    Join:
    Apr 9, 2016

Aman 1st Grade Fringe

Maybe we shouldn't be looking for someone to partner with SJ and instead we should be looking for someone to replace him? This is not slight on SJ its more a slight on us. We haven't been able to either use him correctly or allow him take the bull by the horns due to the off field distractions. SJ has been a great role model, ambassador, professional etc etc but i fear hes not the guy to take us to the promised land. PS we should make Stacey coach. I dont know if it'll work or not but if they ever do and it does I want to be able to say i was all for it.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. OMG
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

OMG Warriors 1st Grader

The guy has all the pressure of Captain on and off the, give him the Captaincy 1st then look at moving him, it could be the missing piece to his puzzle.

8. mrblonde
    Join:
    Apr 14, 2012

mrblonde 1st Grade Fringe

Coach of the ISP? I'd go for that. Seriously, I actually hope Stacey gets poached and does at least two seasons coaching First Grade somewhere else - preferably NRL, but I'd be fine with the ESL. I hope he's successful and when a position pops up here, he applies and gets appointed. The public expectation - which would be heeeuuuugge, even if he was appointed next week on the back of no First Grade experience - would have a greater chance of being met on the back of his prior success. Or not, seriously it could just as easily be a great success as an unmitigated disaster. But anyway, I'd be happier if he had overseas experience away from the expectations first...

Bit ho-hum about Blair, but that's based on his recent form and a few brain-fades. If he can get back on form consistently then, fine. But obviously we won't know if he can until after the ink has dried.

What am I on, talking about consistency at the Warriors? Sorry.

• List

9. Aman
    Join:
    Apr 9, 2016

Aman 1st Grade Fringe

The General would do a great job commanding these troops. The amount of aura and respect he would have is exactly what we need to inspire these cunts

10. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

He spends everyday with the players now.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • List
  11. Tragic
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2016

Tragic 1st Grade Fringe

Agree mostly except I think here is definitely better at the short game, SJ lacks accuracy there, secondly SJ no longer has lightning acceleration or at least is not using it. Definitely would like to see them partnered up, they are our form halves after all.

12. Tragic
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2016

Tragic 1st Grade Fringe

I bag SJ a bit but gotta say he has something, top try assists and we do seem to get closer to winning and sometimes actually win when he is there.
    Still overpaid. Sorry cant help it.

13. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

Yep, definitely overpaid.

The other guys getting +$1m are winning their teams the tight matches and putting up 7/10 performances at the very least. Johnson's improved this year but still has his off days. Hopefully something clicks and he starts firing next season.

• List
  14. Dunedin warrior
    Join:
    Nov 10, 2014

Dunedin warrior 1st Grade Fringe

Considering we can't win a game without Johnson as opposed to 40-45% when he plays I think he's pretty good value for money. It's the blokes surrounding him I would question as being value for money.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 10
    • List
  15. mrblonde
    Join:
    Apr 14, 2012

mrblonde 1st Grade Fringe

That's what they said about Graham/McLennan/Kearney....

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. Tragic
    Join:
    Apr 27, 2016

Tragic 1st Grade Fringe

If he ain't inspiring now then giving him a different title probably isn't going to help, I can see it turning to custard and blackening his legacy, although he has learnt under some pretty shitty coaches lately so should know what doesn't work.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  17. Miket12
    Join:
    Apr 20, 2012

Miket12 Warriors 1st Grader

After the RLWC, Kidwell will most likely be available ;)

18. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

He withdrew last time he was in the running. Sad indictment when even he thinks he is too good for the club.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  19. Aceh
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2016

Aceh U20's Player

Shaun Johnson is no different to every other playmaker in the comp, they rely almost entirely on the engine room to do its job so they can showcase thier wares. He is playing behind the weakest front-foot pack in the competition and yet despite several weeks out with injury he is still up there in the key stats department.

On occasion I'd question his commitment too, but the team as a whole lacks motivation and belief (e.g. RTS, WORLDS next BIG thing, now just a good fullback). The intensity levels for this team are at times embarrassing, something's not right.

We always start the season off with high hopes but 2018 seems void of that. It could be our worst season ever!

• List
  20. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

All the other play makers don't have 2-3 bad games after re-signing like Johnson did. Especially the ones with +$1m salaries.

Dropped balls, intercept passes, an unwillingness to tackle... We should be getting a lot better than that.

There's no doubt that there are lots of players in the team who aren't performing but that's not the point. Here we're just looking at Johnson's game and how he's going as an individual.

Like I've said a few times I think he's improved this year. He's running the ball a little more, his kicking game has become a real strength and he's trying to stand up and be the game-winner when we need him to be. The problem for me is that he still has off games or off moments and for the money he's on you can't have that.

• List