General Discussion Should The NZ Warriors Shift To Wellington?

Discussion in 'General Warriors Discussion' started by 69kingswood, Sep 9, 2016.

1. 69kingswood
    Join:
    Apr 22, 2016

69kingswood U20's Player

Im a one eyed Cantab but i certainly think Wellington would be the best home for the club. Plus a certain amount of games around country. help promote tourism for both country's regions aswell. Having a ssuccessful culture down the road in hurricanes would be a bonus.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. BiggerD
    Join:
    May 15, 2012

BiggerD 1st Grade Fringe

Christchurch
    Give the Warriors a regular shake up
    And visiting teams a shake during middle of night.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  3. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington David Shitwell Contributor

Successful culture at the Hurricanes lol. Youve won one Super Rugby title and all of a sudden your a successful culture :hilarious:.

Wellington are shit at supporting teams. As little as 3000 people watching the Canes in a stadium that seats 34,500. How are the Rugby Sevens going?

Last week at Mt Smart over 11,000 showed up in the pouring rain to watch a dead rubber. If that was Wellington you'd have more people on the field than in the stands.

They may be the New Zealand Warriors by name but dont be fooled. This is the Auckland Warriors through and through. Get your own team :p:finger:...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 20
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

I don't think anyone else would want them these days.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. demco
    Join:
    Mar 9, 2013

demco 1st Grade Fringe

This is the Auckland Warriors through and through. Get your own team :p:finger:.. WELL SAID MATE

• List
  6. W.A warrior
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2014

W.A warrior NSW Cup Player

Bullshit 3000 for the Lions maybe not the canes mate.

• List
  7. snake77
    Join:
    Jul 12, 2013

snake77 Warriors 1st Grader

Maybe back in 1995 if the club was going to be the NZ Warriors and playing around the country Wellington could have been an option. Being centrally located.

The problem though the idea of a club based in NZ playing in the then NSWRL competition was conceived by an Auckland club (Mt Albert). They would have been thinking about Auckland's success against touring sides and the large amount of players originally from Auckland playing in Australia and England.

We have enough trouble attracting talent to Auckland. A smaller city may make that even harder.

8. Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

As a Canes man myself, I' say I've seen worse defined as successful cultures.

Doesn't suggest it always was one.

The reality though is they lost a GF last year, won one this year and didn't lose that many games in either season.

Sounds like it's a successful culture to me - now.

• List

9. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

So the Canes have never had 3000 people at the stadium aye???

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  10. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

Crusaders yeah. Hurricanes maybe on the way. Does a successful culture have 5 players break curfew in South Africa???

• Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  11. Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

Apparently...

• List
  12. W.A warrior
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2014

W.A warrior NSW Cup Player

What one time in history? Maybe. Weather can be brutal down here pretty sure the average attendance is similar between the Warriors and canes

Just sticking up for the yellow and black lol. The sevens? Let's see if you can keep up the nines for 16 years then have a dig bro

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  13. Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

I should expand on that. One perspective could be that they were able to overcome that and still succeed on the back of their culture.

Perhaps a good culture can sustain the inevitable mistakes that human beings or team mates will make and still prosper.

• List
  14. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

I think they should keep an open mind

A change of scene at work is as good as a holiday.

I'd be more of a fan of CH CH if we were relocating. At least at the smaller grounds the Cantab league fraternity are as one eyed as the Auckland lot.

Mo ing the players and their famies to a far away place....may foster the type of environment that so many locals here find by having to adjust over the ditch....in a new fish bowl.

15. Stone
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Stone 1st Grade Fringe

Move the Warriors to Wellyz ??? ... Awesome place but ... Yeh Nah

I'm a born & bred Dorklander & I currently live here, but I also lived in Wellyz for 5-6 years & in a lot of ways I actually much prefer Wellyz to Aucks

In saying that though, relocating the Warriors down there or anywhere out of Aucks for that matter just doesn't work IMO

The reality of rugby league here in NZ is that if you take Auckland out of the equation then the game here would most likely die relatively quickly

That's not to say that other parts of the country don't have good league clubs, players, supporters etc, because they obviously do, but none of them come anywhere near consistently stacking up against the local club scene here in Aucks, they just don't have the numbers

The Warriors obviously get pretty good numbers for one off games in NZ outside of Aucks, but if they were permanently based outside of Aucks the novelty factor would wear off quite rapidly IMO, especially if they are not winning

Another way to look at it is that out of the 11,000 or so hearty souls who actually turned up to MSS to witness the Roll Over In The Wet against Parra, 95% of them were most likely Auckland residents & out of that 95% a VERY substantial amount were almost certainly from South Aucks, take away that extremely loyal support base & you would almost certainly see the overall number of spectators at the ground & also memberships drastically decrease very quickly

The only real viable option for relocating the Warriors IMO would be if by some fucking cosmic miracle the painfully inept Auckland Regional Council somehow got it's shit together (far more likely to see the Warriors actually win a premiership before that happens) & finally build a multi-purpose stadium somewhere around the downtown waterfront area

Personally, I've always thought the Auckland Rugby League fucked up big time by selling Carlaw Park, dumb cunts should've had far more foresight to somehow find a way to totally rebuild the true spiritual home of NZ rugby league into a modern stadium facility, but that dream is obviously long gone now

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  16. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

The politically correct term for Aucklander's is JAFA mate.

I'm JAFA and proud of it.

So - no to Wellington.
    and No to ChCh.

But yes to Eden Park and Yes to North Shore.

Sorry all your Mt Smart, Penrose locals, but this team needs a change in scenery.

Mt Smart has too many bad ju ju in my opinion.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  17. 1995Warriorsfan
    Join:
    Feb 22, 2016

1995Warriorsfan Player Agent

Wellington already has the Phoenix they won't want the Warriors as will. Life would get very depressing watching those 2 teams trying to qualify for a final series.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  18. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan 1st Grade Fringe

What would be the point. If you have a broken toy moving it across the room doesn't make a difference. It is still broken.

• List
  19. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

The ARL wanted to develop it for the Warriors, blame EW and the Auckland Regional Council, otherwise yes it was a massive mistake.
    I have lived there as well. It has a lot going for it, fresh air, good restaurants, beautiful scenic harbour, walk anywhere in town. Good suburban train service not to mention the most exciting aircraft landings in the world!!!

It is a dying city though. Auckland is the centre of commerce now, even a lot of government departments are relocating. It is smack beside a major fault line. The risk is so great government was actually advised by experts to relocate to Palmerston North. Rural NZ is going backwards fast and Wellington is a hangover from rural NZ.

20. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

Given that less people turn up and support the the Hurricanes than the Warriors, what possible benifit could the club gain from such a move?

• List