Simon Mannering

1. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DIE FOR TONGA Contributor

Thought I'd start a thread to mark and congratulate Simon Mannering becoming the longest serving captain in Warriors history this weekend against the West Tigers in Wellington. This is also his 10 year testimonial season...

Simon 'Ju Ju' Mannering

Warriors
    Stats
    Games - 192*
    Tries - 43
    Points - 172

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Kiwis
    Stats
    Games - 35
    Tries - 5
    Points - 20
    2008 World Cup Champions
    2010 Four Nations Winners

Career Milestones

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Makes his debut for the Warriors in Round 16 against the Brisbane Broncos on the 26th of June. Warriors won 30-18 at Ericsson Stadium.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Scores his first try for the Warriors in Round 10 against the St George Illawarra Dragons.
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Selected for the New Zealand Kiwis Tri Nations squad. Played every game.
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Named New Zealand Rugby League Rookie of the Year.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Played his 50th game for the Warriors in the Semi Final loss to the North Queensland Cowboys.
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Selected for the ANZAC Test squad at Centre.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Warriors Player of the Year.
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Played all 27 games the Warriors had that year.
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Played all 8 games the New Zealand Kiwis played that year.
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Was part of the team that won the RLWC2008 Final against Australia.
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. From 2007 he played 92 consecutive games for the Warriors and Kiwis.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Re-signs with the club till the end of 2012.
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Played his 100th game for the Warriors in the Round 26 loss to the Storm which was also Stacey Jones' last game for the Warriors.
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Knee injury ends his 92 game streak with the Warriors.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Appointed Warriors club captain.
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Selected for the New Zealand Kiwis Four Nations squad. A tournament the Kiwis would go on to win 16-12 with Mannering playing centre in the Final against Australia.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. As captain he played in all 28 games taking his team all the way to the Grand Final.
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Selected for the New Zealand Kiwis Four Nations team.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Re-signs with the club for another 3 years. A deal that expires in 2015.
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. In the Round 4 26-6 win against the Titans at Mt Smart he played his 150th game and his 50th as captain. Even scored a try.
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Plays centre for the New Zealand Kiwis ANZAC test.
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Plays lock in the October Test against Australia.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Reconfirmed as captain by new coach Matt Elliott.
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Named new captain of the New Zealand Kiwis.
    Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Captains the Kiwis team to the RLWC2013 Grand Final.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view. Round 4 game against the Wests Tigers will see Simon Mannering become the longest serving captain in Warriors history.

Simon Mannering

Date of Birth: 28-08-1986
    Height: 190cm
    Weight: 104kg
    Position: Second Row
    Rep. Honours:
    35 Tests for Kiwis 2006-2013
    Four Nations Winner 2010
    World Cup Winner 2008
    Junior Kiwis 2004
    New Zealand A 2004
    Junior Clubs: Wellington Orcas
    FG Debut:Vodafone Warriors v Broncos, Ericsson Stadium, 26/6/05 (Rd 16)
    Club Debut:Vodafone Warriors v Broncos, Ericsson Stadium, 26/6/05 (Rd 16)
    Nickname: Ju Ju
    Rugby League supported as a child: Warriors
    Favourite League player growing up: Ruben Wiki
    Career highlight to date: 2008 World Cup victory
    Biggest influence on your career: All my past coaches and my Dad
    Favourite past time away from League: Fishing
    Advice to junior players: Train hard
    Ambitions after League career: Become a carpenter

After completing his high school education at Nelson College in 2004, Simon was signed by the Vodafone Warriors and made his debut in 2005. He soon became a regular feature of the line-up, playing in all 26 matches for the Warriors in 2007 and also appearing in each of the Kiwis' six tests. He repeated this feat in 2008, playing all 27 Warriors matches and every one of the Kiwis' seven tests including their historic World Cup final win. Mannering had played 92 games straight for the Vodafone Warriors when a knee injury ended his streak late in 2009. He is used predominantly in the back row but has been called on to play in the centres on several occasions, most notably filling in for Brent Tate in 2009.

Mannering was appointed captain for the first time in 2010 and while a preseason hamstring injury disrupted his plans early in the campaign, he recovered to lead the Vodafone Warriors to the finals in his first season in charge.

Mannering is an utterly reliable player with exceptional work rate with on both sides of the ball. He ranks among the Vodafone Warriors' all-time leading try scorers with 43 in his career so far. Mannering is the only player to win the club's Lion Red Player of the Year award three times, doing so in 2008, 2011 and 2013. At 27 years of age, Mannering heads into the 2014 campaign with 188 appearances for the Warriors under his belt, making him third on the all-time list. He has also racked up an impressive 35 test appearances for the Kiwis. In February 2012 Mannering inked a contract extension through until the end of the 2015 season.

One of the most durable players in the competition, Simon has only missed 24 games since his debut. By comparison, Manu Vatuvei who had his 10th season last year has played 171 games versus Mannerings 192.

*As of Round 4 2014.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 18
    • List

2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington DIE FOR TONGA Contributor

Clip on the Warriors website with players talking about Simon Mannerings milestone this weekend. This typical of what you will hear from all players who play alongside him. Well worth a view...

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

3. Lord Gnome of Howick MBE
    Join:
    Apr 30, 2012

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE Warriors 1st Grader

4. DavidMcKay1974
    Join:
    Aug 28, 2013

DavidMcKay1974 1st Grade Fringe

Great work.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Raurimu Massive
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

Raurimu Massive 1st Grade Fringe

Hell of a career so far. 10th year testimonial for a 27 year old player is phenomenal. Will go down as one of NZ's greatest players imo.

I'll stop before my man-crush takes over. :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    • Like/Agree Like/Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

43 tries- that's gotta be up there on the all time warrior try scorers? Esp in the forwards.
    Great player and inspirational leader

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  7. DavidMcKay1974
    Join:
    Aug 28, 2013

I've got that stat for you. As I've been doing stats on the Warriors from 1995 to now, only up to year 2006 Round 18.

Everyone knows Manu has scored over 100 Tries for the club so he's probably the leader, but as of up to Round 18 2006 these were the Top 10 Try Scorers.

Stacey Jones - 73
    Francis Meli - 60
    Clinton Toopi - 57
    Sean Hoppe - 44
    Henry Fa'afilli - 38
    Brent Webb - 37
    Nigel Vagana - 35
    Logan Swann - 34
    Ali Lauiti'iti - 33
    Wairangi Koopu - 29

Brent Webb still had about 8 games to go in 2006 before he moved on, so realistically he would have scored maybe another try or two still got to add them in. So yes 43 tries will put him in the top 5 or 10 on that count.

• List
  8. Hitman82
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Hitman82 1st Grade Fringe

Mannering has blossomed from bore-bot to smother-beast. Possibly the best tackler in rugby league. All while captaining the biggest head-fuck team in world sport.

Give the man a pay rise.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 13
    • List

9. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

Winning player of the year as a 21-22 year old in 2008 is pretty impressive stuff, they had a decent team that year, apart from the halves.

He doesn’t get hurt much, so should be up over 230 games by the time his current contract runs out end of next year, can he be the first 300 game warrior?
    Might just sneak in 300 towards the end of the 2018 season if he stays healthy, will only have just turned 32 at that point, unreal.

• List
  10. Hitman82
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Judging by his extreme consistency and durability, I don't just hope but EXPECT him to pass the 300 game mark. Guys like Mannering can play until their mid-30s, easy.

I'd be really interested to know what kind of money he's on, and how much interest Simon would attract if he were on the market.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  11. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito |-|

My only worry is more coaching chaos at the club and he says fuck this shit at the end of next year and goes to super league.
    I would shed a tear if he played for another NRL club.

He will be 29 coming off contract, so they've gotten the best years out of him, no team needs him more than the worries do, and with the long serving player allowance and all...

If the game continues to speed up he comes becomes super valuable to teams as he don't need three man tackles to shut people down...

• List
  12. ShaunJohnson7
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

ShaunJohnson7 1st Grade Fringe

Why do you have 2006 stats and not the current ones? Seems a bit strange to me.

• List
  13. ShaunJohnson7
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

ShaunJohnson7 1st Grade Fringe

Yeah I can't think of a better defender than him, he's unreal in that department.

14. Jordan G
    Join:

Jordan G Guest

Hohaia and Ropati both have 50+ so at best it would put him 7th behind Hoppe. Easily the best forward though.

15. way2sharp
    Join:
    Feb 28, 2014

way2sharp 1st Grade Fringe

Reign on Capt Mannering. Our first member of the 300 club.

• List
  16. DavidMcKay1974
    Join:
    Aug 28, 2013

Because I'm doing it game by game since the start and have only just up to Round 18 2006. Doing different types of stats as well. Takes time. It's taken over a year so far to do.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  17. MarkW
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

MarkW 1st Grade Fringe

Simon is a fkn machine! I hope he stays a one club player for the remainder of his career.

• List
  18. Hitman82
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

Sorry for the OT post but DavidMcKay1974DavidMcKay1974 or mt.wellingtonmt.wellington do either of you know where I can find 2010 / 2011 game stats? I want to prove a point haha

19. DavidMcKay1974
    Join:
    Aug 28, 2013

Email sent

• List
  20. surfin
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

surfin Warriors 1st Grader

Ask me if I don't know I'll make it fit your argument.

• List