Simon Mannering

1. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

It would be the league equivalent of dropping buck.

Despite being a huge Mannering fan I have to admit if you're picking taumalolo at 13 you do have to question where Simon fits in.
    He's not a bench player so he would have to start on an edge where imo he's not as suited anymore and there's also quite a bit of competition for spots- Harris, ma'u etc.

I'd have him in my team but I think it's a fair question.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List

2. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

Taumalolo can just play as a prop in tests.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  3. jonesy101
    Join:
    Aug 28, 2016

jonesy101 1st Grade Fringe

A Kiwi can't even win the Dally M outright!

Agree with Mannerings' workrate. Its important we have him on the field for the 80, then we can rotate the gamebreakers to avoid them running out of gas too soon. Tapine would be fine coming off the bench.

4. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

Sorry for being a corrector but that ceiling was smashed some time ago when Gary Freeman won the Dally M player of the year back in '92.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  5. kabkram
    Join:
    Oct 21, 2015

kabkram 1st Grade Fringe

All i know is that at the start of every fantasy campaign there's two players who are automatic picks for my team, Cam Smith and Mr Mannering.
    And if we're comparing apples for apples I'd put Mannering up with Corey Parker, and you try and tell me the Broncos didn't miss Parker this year.

• List
  6. ForTheLoveOfGod
    Join:
    Sep 5, 2017

ForTheLoveOfGod U20's Player

No way!! Corey Parker is a superior player to Mannering. Parker had an exceptional attacking game. Mannering doesnt.

• List
  7. Will7
    Join:
    Apr 11, 2016

Will7 Waterboy

13 let him do his 40 tackles runs good meters and most importantly he does so much clean u work plays 80and always keeps his cool let's not forget his experience. taumalolo second row or prop the way he run against the Roosters it looked like he was playing there four man tackles and they still couldn't stop him

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Swanley
    Join:
    Apr 13, 2012

Swanley 1st Grade Fringe

Maybe, but Mannering smashes blokes legally, Parker did not.

• List

9. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Mannering is the best defender in the league by miles. OK maybe not miles, but he's better than anyone else IMO...

Big games, when the pressure is at it's greatest, are won and lost on defense. One teams defense goes a little soft for a moment, and the other teams "game breaker" looks like a superstar.

But the 5 runs before that, when the defense was fired up and angry, the superstar game breaker went down like a sack of spuds.

It's very rare that a player gets through a fully functioning defensive line to score. And it's usually pure luck when it happens.

And I've seen Mannering carve through a shit defense as well as anyone. Maybe with his ultra defensive focus these last few years at the Warriors he's played it safe, as he knows he'll be defending his errors all by himself, just like he does every body elses....

So if you're a goo goo eyed, offense isn't everything it's the only thing, type footy fan then Mannering isn't ever going to be your favorite.

But if you're a fan of players who leave it all out on the pitch every singe game, injured or not, then Simon is a world class champion player.

And since when did all our forwards have to be playmakers or running backs to be awesome? Maybe that's why we never make the finals. Too many fancy boy superstars, not enough gritty footy players.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 4
    • List
  10. Naumaifooty
    Join:
    Sep 12, 2017

Naumaifooty NSW Cup Player

Who would the next best defender be?

11. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 1st Grade Fringe

Jake turbo and andrew mccolough would be up there for best 1 v 1 tacklers.

• List
  12. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Cam smith

13. Matulino's Left Shoulder
    Join:
    Jul 22, 2012

Matulino's Left Shoulder 1st Grade Fringe

Cameron Smith. Undisputed WWE Summerslam Champion.

• List
  14. jonesy101
    Join:
    Aug 28, 2016

Well I guess that's one less little brother myth that Kiwi players get overlooked for everything.:sour:

15. jonesy101
    Join:
    Aug 28, 2016

I like the comparison with Parker. The other player I'd compare Mannering to would be Craig Fitzgibbon. Was an absolutely tireless defender and was more than deserving of his representative honours because of it.

• List
  16. ForTheLoveOfGod
    Join:
    Sep 5, 2017

ForTheLoveOfGod U20's Player

NO!!!

Fitzgibbon could break the line and had massive impacts on games as a dynamic second rower.. Mannering has very little if any impact on offensive plays.

I honestly believe the closest example to Simon Mannering is Dallas Johnson. Very very similar players.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Boats n Hoes
    Join:
    May 14, 2012

Boats n Hoes 1st Grade Fringe

Apart from the fact that Parker (while knocking up similar tackle numbers on D as Manner's) was also (especially latter part of his career) consistently the competition's leading or thereabouts offloader and the basis of a point of attack for Bronco's, Queensland, and Aussie sides. Throw in his more than useful goalkicking and that's very close to being a complete player. Take that out of any team and of course it leaves a gap although i think Matt Gillette has taken over his mantle somewhat for the Broncs.

18. jonesy101
    Join:
    Aug 28, 2016

Agree that in terms of defensive workrate Dallas Johnson is a good comparison as he ended up with some staggering tackle stats like Mannerings. He was a really gutsy player for his small frame.

In terms of your assessment of Fitzgibbon as a dynamic second rower, have a read of this:

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Fitzgibbon was a great defender, but an attacking machine he was not. He could certainly break the line at times though, just like Mannering can.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    • List
  19. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

I think the reason we have Fitzgibbon style players today is because of the rules of the game today.

The 10 meter rule means a team can march up field with strong hit ups and good ball security, and also strong defense is the only way to stop your opponents doing this to you.

So the 10 mtr rule came in in 1993, meaning the Johns Bros, Fittler etc grew up watching players who played during the 5 meter error and learned the skills required for the 5 meter error. Because hitups were much less effective they had to play ball to get victory.

Bringing in the 10 meter rule initially made the game more open for ball players as they had more room to play ball. But as time went on the NRL slowly cottoned on to the Fitzgibbon style of footy being the winning style. So now we have mega athletes, making hit ups and wrestle tackles, dominating the game; with ball playing being a more high risk / low reward way to go.

It's ironic that the 10 meter rule was brought in to give play makers more room to play ball, but now it's turned out that the best winning strategy for the 10 meter game is to hit up harder and not play too much ball.

One day the Warriors will cotton on and sign more Mannerings.

Side note: Rugby, with there zero meters defending at the ruck and 1 or 2 meter hitups, has a way better ball playing game ATM. It's the only way through so of course they try their hand and put on a spectacle. It's play ball or lose.

ATM League is more like play ball and lose...

This is the secret to our under-performance IMO. Our guys want to play ball like the AB's but the rules don't really allow it. If you're playing ball inside your own half and you fuck it up, next minute you're defending on your goal line. It's a massive deterrent. But yet our guys still have the urge to play ball...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  20. Gizzyfan
    Join:
    Jan 2, 2013

Gizzyfan 1st Grade Fringe

We talk about development or the lack of. Why has Mannering developed so well when so many others haven't. My conclusion is work ethic and a willingness to learn and train.

• List