Simon Mannering

1. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Mannering is doing all that he can to be the best he can be.

Others are doing enough to get a contract and then celebrating at our expense. That should be obvious by now surely.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List

2. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

Parker developed a great offload late in his career but Johnson offered nothing ball in hand.
    Mannering would've scored more tries than them two combined.
    Tackle counts are all Mannering really had in common with Johnson and I know who I'd rather run at- saw Dallas Johnson once and he's smaller than me- Mannering would rip him apart like a hot chook.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

Way too much hyperbole on this forum... Mannering's attack isn't nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

If we're debating whether or not he should be an immortal (based on merit) I'd say no, I don't think he's THAT good a player.

If we're debating whether he should make the Kiwis team I say definitely, he's one of the best and most versatile players we have and has a tonne of experience behind him.

If we're debating whether or not he deserves a statue I say absolutely. No one at our club has ever epitomized toughness more than Mannering and that's the quality we should be looking for most in our players.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 12
    • List
  4. Raurimu Massive
    Join:
    Apr 26, 2012

Raurimu Massive 1st Grade Fringe

One of the things that's vital to remember with comments about Mannering's game is the balance between attack and defense. His defensive efforts will naturally take sting from his attack, it's inevitable. But all anyone has to do is cast their minds back to his 200th match - two tries, including a grubber kick he regathered, pushing through two defenders to score next to the posts.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 5
    • List
  5. warriors4eva
    Join:
    May 21, 2012

warriors4eva 1st Grade Fringe

whatever anyones opinion on Mannering

im sure he will be stoked with 41 pages of comments ! haha

6. Naumaifooty
    Join:
    Sep 12, 2017

Naumaifooty NSW Cup Player

Stacey Jones is the only player that deserves a statue.

7. Dunedin warrior
    Join:
    Nov 10, 2014

Dunedin warrior 1st Grade Fringe

He's a very good player, I've just never thought of him as a 13. Buying Hoffman forced us to move him from his 2nd row spot, where his defensive nous and his surprising speed great for us.

As those stats show probably lacks the size and physicality to be a great 13. Hoping he moves back to the 2nd row next season as a Blair/Mannering/Gavet middle is way to small to work effectively.

Still rate Stacey higher but him and Manu would be the other two greats of the club for me.

• List
  8. Weno
    Join:
    Nov 3, 2012

Weno 1st Grade Fringe

Amen bruv.

• List

9. adalu239
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2013

adalu239 1st Grade Fringe

This thread is a fucking joke. Mannering would walk in and start in any nrl side, he would also make the Australian side.

To the guy saying Tapine over Mannering, wow.

Take Mannering from the warriors and watch this side crumble before you. He is by far the best warrior we have produced, yes better than Stacey imo, and it’s a shame he will never earn a ring.

We demand passion, bleeding for the jersey, effort on effort, accountability, leadership - Mannering has these attributes in spades. The difference between his best and worst game is minimal, he epitomises consistency.

Sure he’s not the biggest metre gainer, but who are you comparing to? He still regularly make over 100m, all while making 50+ tackles a game, and playing 80min weekly. There is no comparison, he is by far the best warriors player we have produced and has been playing in this manner for his entire career.

To those questioning Mannering a value to this side, take Mannering out and we can chat again about it. We lose Johnson and we have our worst run of losses, we lose Mannering, I doubt we’d concede anything less than 20 points a game. His value is immensely crucial to this side

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 11
    • List
  10. OMG
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

OMG Warriors 1st Grader

Crack up of a year, I actually thought Simon was a shoe in for POY, it's crazy to think that he may not even be considered for WC, crazy, he should be a starting Prop if we are going to have any chance.

IMO this year highlights how poorly handled Simon has been by all of his Coaches and how his mind may now be ready for the Captaincy as he played smarter footy all round, sure he had a few bundy moments but there was evidence of a more rounded footballer than previous seasons.

Ivan should never have made Simon Captain at that stage in his career it put uneeded pressure on Simon when there were better options, it stymied his play and limited his football risk taking which has an overall impact on Simon's impact in each game.
    They've gone and turned RTS into one of the best Props in the game but he's a pretty shit Fullback atm to be honest, that's what the leadership will do to you, you think your doing the right thing and leading the way but all your really doing is holding the team back by not being able to play your true game and you haven't been in position when your really needed, support play and kick chase is suffering at the Warriors atm IMO.

At a time when most players are truly learning what they are capable of, Simon's footballing skills and development were being restrained by the Leadership responsibilities on and off the field.
    Ivan and others playing him out position so often on the right hand side at either centre or 2nd row also hampered a skills growth that may have come earlier than what we have seen.
    The theory of Simon playing right fringe sounds fine but the practicality never truly shone out and at times has seen some straight out horrible footballing from Simon and a super fragile right hand side.

I'm thinking that the other Prop everyone is looking for is right under their eyeballs.

• List
  11. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

I 100% agree with you on this one.;)

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 6
    • List
  12. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

flying coconut 1st Grade Fringe

Better than Stacey Jones hahahaha, you are a fool if you think that.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. jonesy101
    Join:
    Aug 28, 2016

jonesy101 Warriors Bench Player

Its hard to compare players in positions that have way different disciplines. Stacey Jones will always be our first club legend or whatever we should be calling calling it.

For Mannering I would prefer making comparisons to other great Warriors players we've had at second row/lock in the past - Logan Swann, Awen Guttenbeil, Ali Lauitiiti, Micheal Luck come to mind. All great players but Mannering is the best of the bunch I reckon and we've had over 20 years to observe.

An honorary plaque for reaching the 300 game milestone would be fitting, but if he manages to orchestrate a premiership win with his remaining time at the club then he deserves a statue (and the keys to the country).

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    • List