Solomone Kata

1. gpred
    Join:
    Sep 23, 2016

gpred 1st Grade Fringe

I just hope Kearney selects Beale in place of Kata.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 10
    • List

2. perf warrior
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

perf warrior NSW Cup Player

Yeah right haha, seems far to logical

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Afakasi247
    Join:
    Mar 5, 2014

Afakasi247 1st Grade Fringe

You'd hope so since Kearney inherited Kata but chose (or would have been apart of the decision process) to sign Beale...

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 2
    • List
  4. gpred
    Join:
    Sep 23, 2016

gpred 1st Grade Fringe

Since nothing surprises with SK anymore, I actually think round 1 next year he will start Beale and Kata.

• Like/Agree Like/Agree x 3
    • List
  5. tajhay
    Join:
    Mar 30, 2012

tajhay On Titanic.

He also inherited Ayshford. And Ayshford was outside of the first grade team far more often than Kata (which was only due to a family tragedy).

Will be interesting to see the first round lineup for 2018, but based on how hes operated i presume he will pick Kata and Beale as his centres.

Remember the time when coaches would hook players midgame for continual stuff ups? Well this year we rewarded them by continuosly selecting them in first grade and expecting things to change.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  6. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

But he did choose Kata for the kiwis

• List
  7. ¿N. ig-mah¿
    Join:
    May 1, 2012

¿N. ig-mah¿ Warriors 1st Grader

SK had endless opportunities to ditch Kata for other options. He missed every one of them. He has chosen Kata.

• List
  8. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Kearney, watch this video 10 times then give yourself an uppercut..

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Kata needs time away from the spot light to sort his game out.

• List

9. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

flying coconut 1st Grade Fringe

He lets in 1-2 trys a game through bad defensive reads.

• List
  10. WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

It's been costly there's no denying it.

11. adalu239
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2013

adalu239 1st Grade Fringe

He is legit marking no one, and leaves Ken to mark 3. I'd fucking hate to defend with him.

• List
  12. Viking
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Viking 1st Grade Fringe

Didn't he do something similar in the Tigers game on their last try but to a lesser degree?

13. ryno
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

ryno 1st Grade Fringe

Do you think Cappy was better at explaining things to Kata than Kearney?

• List
  14. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

Twice

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  15. Viking
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Viking 1st Grade Fringe

Dunno about that first one, he's ball watching but Hoffman is 10m back from the defensive line strangely and Ken was also back expecting a kick so Kata had too much space to defend. I doubt any centre could stop that try being scored. Hoffman tries to smash Tui with something that looks close to a shoulder charge but he's already late to the party and balls gone out to the wing. That's a fairly shit effort from Hoffman really.

The second one was a Kata special though.

• List
  16. francis faafua
    Join:
    Jul 30, 2016

francis faafua NSW Cup Player

i'd smash him at training so i would'nt have to lol

17. ttkk19
    Join:
    Sep 21, 2013

ttkk19 1st Grade Fringe

I'm glad you brought that point up. I thought Kata's defense was much better under Cappy, back then when he shot out of the line he actually took the right player (WHILE THEY HAD THE BALL) and managed to put them on their backside.

Why things have changed I'm not so sure; it could be coaching like you said, I thought he was having trouble with the new defensive structure myself, but then you've got other stuff like varying edge combinations or form slumps which could also have an effect.

It definitely doesn't seem like an attitude thing though that's for sure, he's always been more than willing to put his body on the line. In fact he gives off the impression that he loves the contact.

Hopefully they can get Ropati or someone in to do some work with him. He's got the talent and the work-ethic, just needs to learn his craft.

18. adalu239
    Join:
    Oct 11, 2013

adalu239 1st Grade Fringe

He's actually flying in to no mans land, where the player is either 100% covered, or flying to empty space. He's a definite target, and cannot read the play whatsoever. He needs to go back, learn the game, learn to defend. Sure he's a great attacker with ball in hand, but he cannot draw pass, has no understanding of the game, cannot defend and makes some terrible decision on attack and defence. He wouldn't go near first grade if I was coach until his defensive frailties are rectified.

• List
  19. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

I could probably dig up 20 missreads from this season from the highlights vids.. He's that bad.

The first misread he needed to make sure he was covering the edge forward and the center with a legs tackle either way (he's a center after all and has the acceleration and agility to do this), but he decided to mark up like a forward and leave an overlap which 100% is a try every time if the ball goes to the center.. Second mis read, exactly the same thing. He's not in a position to slide across and cover his center during the overlaps, so he makes it impossible for the inside defenders to slide across and cover the edge forward/fullback who could take the inside line...

How he's been allowed to get this bad is beyond me.

20. Afakasi247
    Join:
    Mar 5, 2014

Afakasi247 1st Grade Fringe

It was David Kidwell who debuted Kata during last year's 4 Nations. SK did select Kata for the training squad for the 2015 England tour (warranted - he had a fantastic debut season) although he didn't make the final team.

Fair comment. As the season went on its no doubt he ran with Kata. To be fair Kata was great in 2015 and improved (especially defensively) in 2016. After his Kiwis call up (where again he was fantastic on defence) you would have expected him to continue his upward trend which may explain SK sticking with him. Didn't work out and Kata went backwards it seems - ironically on the defensive end - and proved to be a fuck up as the bloke was suffering mentally off field.

Loloheas poor attitude made way for Ayshford. SK resistance to stick with new blood over experience meant we had to endure Kata instead of having someone like CNK get more of a look in this season. But in terms of who added more to the team this season it's logical that Beale would replace Kata (on the premise Beale is a walk-in starter) next year over Ayshford but who knows what SK is thinking.